My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab31169 View Post
    Sweet!
    THanks. MOre pics from that night:

99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    In car from Daytona. Didn't get video of the 2:15 flat. GoPro ran out of memory and we forgot to change cameras. This was a 2:16:1.

Dunlop Direzza's, no aero, short shifting at 6k the whole race

Last edited by NotoriousJJE; 08-22-2017 at 11:19 PM.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Forgot to add, this is from the weigh station that day. Full of fuel:

How are my corner weights doing?

image by jeronimo esteve, on Flickr
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJJE View Post
    Forgot to add, this is from the weigh station that day. Full of fuel:

How are my corner weights doing?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    If that's with you in the car the weights are pretty near perfect and the car is pretty frikin light!

My Cars
    Many
    Is that with driver? Jesus thats well setup

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by darbyfam View Post
    Is that with driver? Jesus thats well setup
    No I wish. WRL makes you weigh in with no driver, but full of fuel. Not sure why.

Car should weight 2730 right now with no fuel
    2820- 15 gallons of fuel = 2730 lbs
    I have the hood I have to throw on there should be about 35 less. 2695
    add wing and splitter 10 lbs 2705
    lexan should save maybe 5 lbs 2700
    wiring clean up I am hoping about 10 lbs 2690
    Need to cut the doors/ some miscellaneous brackets etc I hope about 10 more lbs 2680

I weigh about 230 that's 2910. Need to get back to 3150 for STU so add back about 240 in ballast.

I hope the distribution stays pretty similar
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I have the hood I have to throw on there should be about 35 less.
    The OEM steel hood with no mat (2lbs) is 40lbs.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    The OEM steel hood with no mat (2lbs) is 40lbs.
    Sorry, thought it was a little more. Have the Mashaw sitting in the garage, just need to install it. Think that weighs about 10-12lbs. So 28 lbs instead of 35
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Don't want to rain on your parade, but my full carbon special order VIS hood was supposed to be 12lbs, but when it arrived and I weighed it on a hanging digital fish scale it was 18. I hope yours turns out to be as advertised.
    Last edited by jakermac; 07-04-2017 at 02:37 AM.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    This thing with box doesn't weigh more than 15 lbs. I'll weigh it today.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Still haven't weighed or installed the front hood.

Had this massive list of things to do to the car and had a couple of months to do it. So I procrastinated. Then my buddy reached out that he wanted to go to a track day for the first time. I said sure I'll be your instructor. The plan was to take the blue RS and let that car run and eat for a day. It's been a while. But I needed brakes. Car has 11,000 miles but the front rotors were mangled and the rear pads were getting a little light for my taste at Sebring in August. So I order front rotors ($$$ouch$$$). Order pads ($$$ouch$$$$). Stupid pads I picked go on back order and wasn't going to get them in time. I find this out two days before the event. YAY

So I did what any guy would do: Damage control on my to do list and put the M3 back together late at night after work/ husband/ daddy duties.

I set my oil pressure warning light for 10 psi as a precaution. Under braking, I noticed the light comes on constantly. So I looked at a couple of options and ended up buying an S54 Oil pan and VAC dual pick up pump for the car.

Went in fairly straightforward. Dropping the subframe was easy. Putting it back in with the AKG motor mounts was a pain in the ass. Thank god my buddy came over to help. I wanted to set the car on fire. Mind you this is two days before event:

IMG_4354 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Everything looked good in there as far as I could tell. I resisted taking a cap off and looking at the bearings although I REALLY REALLy wanted to. I had done a compression check after the enduro and it seemed ok. leakdown test was good too so I let it ride.

In she went with no issues:

IMG_4357 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

While I was in there I figured I would replace the steering rack quibo. Asked here and ended up buying the E34 unit. Really straightforward install. I thought notching the steering shaft was going to be a pain but it wasn't. Drill went through it like butter. All is good in the world. To be honest, feels exactly the same to me.

IMG_4358 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Also got the brilliant idea to install headers since I had the subframe off. #notsmart

Looked around for ever, settled on raceland supersprint euro copies. Before I put them in I drilled out the flange holes. One set the holes were fine, the other set they were all undersized by 1/8". Once I did opened up the holes, they went in and mounted up perfect.

IMG_4363 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Had my buddy weld up some vbands and a y to my 3" Magnaflow and voila, exhuast ready. Not optimal, but it got me on track.

IMG_4375 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Also replaced the front discs and pads. 4 track days and a 14 hour enduro at Daytona was the shelf life of the rotors. Went through 2 sets of pads. Not bad at all. Specially as they are $130/ rotor to replace. I could literally by 12 for the price of the RS rotors. FML.

IMG_4377 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

To summarize this is what we did in 2 days:
    1. Drop subframe
    2. Replace oil pump and oil pan
    3. Token Oil change
    4. Token power steering fluid change
    5. Replace front rotors
    6. Replace front pads
    7. Replace steering guibo
    8. Lower the car 1/2"
    9. Alignment
    20. Install headers
    21. Fab up header to exhuast connection

End result, my buddy had a blast at his first track day and is now hooked for life.

Early morning pic:

IMG_4771 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Set a new best time in the M3 at Sebring despite the 100 degree ambient temperature. Ran a 2:29:1 with a 2:28:5 theoretical best according to the data. I made a mistake on turn 15 which messed up 16 in the lap. At Sebring, sub 2:30 and you are cooking. We are getting closer. The seat time in the enduro really helped my comfort level with the setup. I bought a smarty cam and thought I recorded it all but turns out it wasn't communicating with the DL so I don't have video. YAY

Did get this pic though. Two wheeling through 17...

IMG_4701 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Also took the ND MX-5 we are building at work out. Had a blast in that thing. Here's an in car vid from one of the laps. Little car was turning low 2:40's which was fun:

Last edited by NotoriousJJE; 08-22-2017 at 11:17 PM. Reason: youtube embed
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Did some work to the car last month.

Also took it to its first GTS race and won. Also set a new PB in the car so it is getting faster. Still really hot out at Sebring but managed a 2:28:8.

I have video of it just need to figure out how to trim the video and I will embed

IMG_5305 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

IMG_5307 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

I keep lowering the ride height and haven't rubbed yet. Also took some rake out. So it is looking racier.

I added lexan windows and installed a NACA duct for the coolshirt air system. Makes it so much nicer when I'm sitting there on grid. The ventilation inside my car is usually terrible. This makes it much more bearable:

IMG_5283 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Have had an issue with the car leaking fuel. Could not figure out where it was coming from. FInally sacked up and dropped the tank and found it pretty quickly.

Seems like when they welded the roll cage, the guys almost blew themselves up.

THey melted this vent hose: So it was leaking right through here. The leak was bad. I actually vomited during my stint in the last enduro. The fumes were awful.

IMG_5262 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

I fixed it by removing the hose, replacing it with a screw and JB welding it shut. Cheap easy and has worked like a charm.

IMG_5267 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

While I was in there I got rid of all of this crap:

IMG_5269 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

And I replaced the vent system with a 5/8" hose finished with a little filter. THe bonus is that now I can dump fuel into the car much faster. PLus no more fuel leak = Success

IMG_5276 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr
    Last edited by NotoriousJJE; 10-08-2017 at 11:26 PM.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Forgot to add. I did a compression check after the last race since the car was running really hot and I was going through water in the cooling system like it was my job.

Cold: 180-140-180-180-180-180

Looks like I have a wounded cylinder. Plan is to take the head off, replace headgasket, do studs and maybe springs and retainers while I am in there. I fear I am going to have a serious "while I'm in here" thought process..."

Last thing. I have a serious issue with my ABS system. It is just not there. Debating buying an MK60 unit from an E46. Don't know if it is worth it to get the ZCP unit or not. THoughts?
    Last edited by NotoriousJJE; 10-09-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    We have reached the target lap time!!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

We can do more though. 2:26 is the new target. Between AERO, functioning ABS, and an alignment that is not out of whack, we should be there.

Last edited by NotoriousJJE; 10-10-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Thanks for the insight on the MK60 lol. I need to do it. But damn this is getting expensive. Blew right by my initial budget...

I think I'm about to pull the trigger. Waiting to hear how much a harness is going to cost to make.

Dropped the car off with the fabricator who is going to make the uprights for the STU legal wing and match it with an STU legal splitter.

Ended up buying a Mallen Alley wing. Nice guy and good service. Wing weighs nothing and finish is pretty good. We'll see how much it does in terms of lap times. Chasing that 2:25- 2:26 number.

They had nationals at Sebring two weeks ago and the lap time I set the week before was faster than the fastest GTS2 time. Let's get it!!!
    Last edited by NotoriousJJE; 11-06-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Had the wing installed. Has a small amount of adjustability. The uprights are so small that we couldn't get a turbuckle on there.

IMG_5750[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Car is looking better

IMG_5803[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

IMG_5802[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Also started the tear down of the motor. Don't know why I am going through the front. It's a pain in the ass. Should have just dropped the subframe. Oh well.

IMG_5907[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    So this is what my car looks like right now:

IMG_6055[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Next time, out the bottom she goes for sure.

Have done a bunch of work. Just dropped the whole rotating assembly off at the machine shop so they can micro polish the crank and balance the whole assembly.

Doing rings, bearings, and studs along with every seal known to man. Measured the head and block and they are straight as an arrow.

Down to a nice clean block now after a gallon of degreaser and pressure washing the whole thing.

IMG_6069[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Ordered more goodies from Bimmerworld. Tilton FW, Tilton Clutch and release bearing.

IMG_6068[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Mounted and installed the bearings for the LCAB's. These are sweet. Can't wait to see what these feel like. My car had the first gen powerflex before and I think they were going bad. Some of the vibration under breaking might have been due to them.

IMG_6067[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

IMG_6070[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Laundry list is long and I want to have it ready and broken in before it's first race with SCCA mid January at Sebring.
    Still need to:
    -pressure wash engine bay
    -cover fire wall and transmission tunnel in reflective material
    -swap over to the MK60 ABS
    -Create and mount the splitter
    -put the whole thing together...

Wish me luck. talk to me, say the car sucks. Something.
    Last edited by NotoriousJJE; 12-07-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: pics
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Any interest in a custom made Burns Stainless designed header, an ATI crank damper, an S52 crank that is lightened from 52lbs to 40lbs, etc...?

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Any interest in a custom made Burns Stainless designed header, an ATI crank damper, an S52 crank that is lightened from 52lbs to 40lbs, etc...?
    Interested in the ATi damper. Curious about the header. Need to build a 3L motor so crank is out. What are you building?
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Trying to knock stuff off the to-do list.

Got the car ready for pressure washing. Water proofed all the connectors:

IMG_6112[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Got lucky we have this at the store. Of course didn't take one afterwards.

IMG_6114[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

It became much more bearable to work on now.

Started looking at all the work I needed to do for the ABS swap. Good night it is going to be a pain in the ass.
    Tomorrow I order all the fittings I will need. Can't make up my mind if I am going to run the e46 master or the e36 master with some t fittings for the brake pressure sensors. Pain in the ass.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Interested in the ATi damper. Curious about the header. Need to build a 3L motor so crank is out. What are you building?
    Header is gone now. Make me an offer on the ATI damper (PM if you want). It's an OBD1 and has no provisions for A/C. I ran the crank with 84.5mm pistons for just under 3.0 displacement. I've got a bunch more stuff too. Not ready to spill the beans on the new build just yet.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Header is gone now. Make me an offer on the ATI damper (PM if you want). It's an OBD1 and has no provisions for A/C. I ran the crank with 84.5mm pistons for just under 3.0 displacement. I've got a bunch more stuff too. Not ready to spill the beans on the new build just yet.
    Damn. Need the OBD2 for now. Can't switch that too or my head will explode.

This MK60 crap is real.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Damn. Need the OBD2 for now. Can't switch that too or my head will explode.
    This damper will not prevent you from running OBD2. Even the OEM damper for an OBD2 car is the same as OBD1. The only reason I mentioned it was OBD1 is that if you are OBD1 (which you're not) you could not run the car using the OBD2 ATI damper.

Just to confirm, I went and had a look at RealOEM.com. All the 6 cyl E36 cars use the same damper: 1123178620

My Cars
    99 M3
    Going to the dark side with some boost?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    99 M3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast