Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 99 E36 M3 STU/ GTS2-3 build #thesilvercar

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Yep I think the long term solution is definitely to go to an aluminum tank.

I called Bimmerworld and they sent me a block off plate and the adapter. I got some 1" hose and a coupling and I think it should be fairly easy to make it work to the hose going to the reservoir tank.

Right now I'm really struggling with the wiring. I want to start stripping wire off, but I want to run the car next weekend. With the dash out, the intake manifold off, the gauges to wire up, etc, I think I am going to have to wait.

Wanting to use the car while building it is tough. Thought I think it would take me much longer if I weren't running it.

Hope to get the car ready to get the cage in Mid-December...

My Cars
    17 F250 12 Merc C250
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJJE View Post
    Dont have it locked down yet, but probably a guy here in Winer Garden. You're in Daytona/ deltona right?
    Shop is currently in Longwood, will be moving to Sanford( behind the house) in January. New shop being built now!!!!
    My website is down right now. Facebook page is there but not current. If you are in the area I can show you my E36 STU car that is in the works. or my E30 E prod that is being built as well. Also can get pics of many different cars that I have put cages in.
    Last edited by XXLBIMMER; 11-30-2016 at 04:35 PM.
    Chris Leone
    chrisleonemotorsports.com
    roll cages, repairs and racecar fabrication
    1984 318i now 325is
    1994 325is STU racecar
    1988 325is donor

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Yeah man. Would be interested. I have an office in Sanford so could pass by. Let me know when is good or reach out via PM.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Mounted the gauges on the radio cover. I tried to lay them out side by side but I couldn't get them to fit.

Ended up laying them out like this. Not ideal, but it will do.

The more I think about it, the more I wish I would have put the Solo where the Oil Temp gauge is. Oh well. Next time.

Tons more to do before track day next week at Sebring.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Did some more work to the car this weekend. Figured out all the Heater hose clean up and got the parts ordered after some trial and error.

Finding the right hose size was not easy. FInally settled on 7/8th of an inch to connect from the Bimmerworld OBD1 fitting at the water pump to the hose coming from the reservoir: Then finally found the 7/8th fitting at Pegasus to join those two together. $30 in shipping later and we had the right parts:

7/8" aluminum fitting from pegasus

7/8" Heavy Duty heater hose from Jegs:

I also installed all the fittings and sensors for the Autometer gauges and routed them into the cabin.

I also installed the double fuel pump today. Very straightforward install and wired it up nice and clean:

Last thing I did was install the firewall block off plate. Sealed it with some fire retardant material. I hope I never have to test it...

I have a track day this coming weekend and still need to:

1. Put dash back in
    2. Finish wiring the gauges
    3. Install the VAC Floor plate
    4. Put the intake manifold and all the crap back on.

To be continued...

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Got dash back in. All good.

Went through some wiring hell. Found a 12v for the gauges, turns out it was hot all the time. Start over with another one. It was hot all the time. Finally checked the manual, saw that Violet and White is ignition hot. For the future in case anyone is wondering. Violet and White is hot under acc and on.

Wiring hell:

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJJE View Post
    Got dash back in. All good.

Went through some wiring hell. Found a 12v for the gauges, turns out it was hot all the time. Start over with another one. It was hot all the time. Finally checked the manual, saw that Violet and White is ignition hot. For the future in case anyone is wondering. Violet and White is hot under acc and on.

Wiring hell:

I see your wiring hell and raise you a worse wiring hell...

Download the ETM and learn how to read/use it. I'm still learning but it helps a lot, especially when looking for a power source to splice into.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    The. Worst.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Great trip to Sebring this weekend with Chin. 245+ track miles on the car and not one hiccup. Plus new PB in the car Temps in check, everything was good. All the mods done to the car are working great and feel good.

The CAE shifter is AMAZING. On the street it's good, but on the track it is ridiculous.

I played around with installing the VAC floor plate, then I sat in the car without it and realized that I didn't think I needed it. I have fairly big feet (I wear thirteens know what I mean) and could reach all three pedals comfortably.

I'm glad I didn't install it. Pedals felt perfect this weekend. The transition from braking to throttle was easier and I could do both without lifting my foot. Need a clutch stop but besides that, I am going to leave it just how it is.

Suspension felt really good. I added a little compression front and rear and it helped in the transitions through 3-5 and 15-16.

Also set my fastest time yet in the car. I'll put up vid here later. 2:30.995 This was in the last session on Sunday on R7's with 17 heat cycles. I looked at the data and the car had a theoretical best of 2:30.671, and my rolling best time was 2:30:992. I need to find two or three seconds. Hopefully between a diff, fresh tires, and the limited STU legal aero we can get there.

It is really hard without a cage and with the stock seat and seat belt to be consistent though and I know I am leaving time on 1 and 17. I need to install a cage ASAP.

The other thing I realized is my diff is shot. You can hear it in the video, but the unloaded wheel is spinning like crazy and I am losing drive in the corners.

Car feels so much better at this weight. I can still remove the sunroof and the stock seats, windows and motors. Then cage will probably eat all of that back. I am guessing the car is about 3150 with me in it right now.

Mod list:
    1. Cage
    2. Diff
    3. Oil pan baffle, pump, pick up tube.
    Last edited by NotoriousJJE; 12-21-2016 at 02:05 PM. Reason: looked through data

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Forgot to add, the fuel starvation kit worked great. I was able to run all the way to the light. Got about 75 min of run time out of a tank which is about 30 laps and 111 miles. Seems remarkably efficient. Then I added 11 gallons and ran it till it starved and got about 105 miles. Seems crazy to me but I'll take it.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Here's the vid of the in car from my 2:30:995

You can hear the diff not working on corner exit and the brake lockup in the rear. Specially going into the hairpin. I think that's the issue.

Need to try no rear bar next time.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Definitely getting bounced around in there, but a proper seat and harness will help with that.

Right after the 2:00 min mark you can hear the diff slipping pretty bad, yeah. Based on the PO's maintenance log, the fluid should be good. It might be worth changing it anyway to see if it helps with the slippage.

No issues with oil starvation/ticking?

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    Definitely getting bounced around in there, but a proper seat and harness will help with that.

Right after the 2:00 min mark you can hear the diff slipping pretty bad, yeah. Based on the PO's maintenance log, the fluid should be good. It might be worth changing it anyway to see if it helps with the slippage.

No issues with oil starvation/ticking?
    I can't wait for the cage and the seat and the harness. The confidence from it is huge.

I ordered new fluid for the Diff we'll see what it does. I agree, everything else on the car has been tip top so I can't imagine the diff being any different. The car supposedly has the motorsport clutch plates in the diff based off Billy's original for sale ad. I don't know man, just know that it's not working as well as I wish it was?

I don't have the budget right now for the cage and the diff and the cage comes first for sure. Can't wait to get it started.

I've watched the video a couple of times and trying to pay attention to the gauge. I set the light to come on at 12psi and it seems that under braking and making right turns is when it drops to that level. Then it shoots back up again. I need a baffle and the whole nine and will do that after the cage gets done.

My Cars
    '02 C5 Z06, '09 LS3 C6
    Any possibility you'd like to sell your interior plastics, door panels, side panels and carpet, armrest, etc?

Love that shifter.
    I bought an E28 535i sight unseen, drove down the entire west coast along the shoreline, then across the souther border of the US. I buy cars as far from home as possible, and turn them into vacations with a bonus at the end...a car to keep! Check out my most recent journey here.. http://damiannunimaker.com/the-u-s-p...-year-old-bmw/

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Yessir! I sold the headliner, rear shelf, and all the pillars. Also sold the two kick panels.

Everything else I still have. All the center console stuff and the doorpanels are available. Hit me up via PM.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    ANyone have issues with their ABS after stripping weight off the car?

It feels like I lost ABS yet I don't have any lights on the dash? Going into 7 the hairpin, I kept locking up the rears. Had to be really smooth with the transition from gas to brake.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    I guess not on the ABS.

Have spent some time looking at the car and looking at pictures of E36 Roll cages trying to figure out what to do and have noticed that the rear down tubes most people finish either at the rear shock tower or at the rear seatback. Why doesn't anyone finish the down tube on the rear frame rail like this? This is what makes the most sense to me as it ties in the frame rails.

Thoughts?

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Some more pics. Here is the pedal setup: Fit fine.

Trying to figure out the height and placement of the seat:

Bought a LaJoie Seat. They are well known in the roundy round car world. What I liked about them is that they are custom made to you and your body shape. They make you take pictures and a bunch of measurements and three weeks later you get a seat in the mail that literally fits you like a glove. Not cheap. But pretty awesome. Plus it doesn't expire lile the fiberglass seats.

I was pleased that I can get it lined up with the steering column without having to modify the transmission tunnel. So that's a check mark. Then I was trying to figure out heights. I wish I could put the seat all the way on the floor, but man it sits way too low. I am going to have to raise it about 5" to see above the dash as I am going to have it leaned back a bit and that still doesn't give me a great view. Going to roll with it and worst case we can always raise it.

That leads to the next problem of having the seat in that position low there that the steering column and wheel sit too high. I had not planned on replacing steering columns. Though it is legal with both groups I plan on running with. For the meantime, I am going to cut off those safety bolts and try and lower the stock column.

Last thing I worked on was getting the sun roof skin off the cartridge. The cartridge came down easy enough after I had removed the headliner. SCCA wants you to cover up the hole with the same material as the rest of the roof so carbonfibre and fiberglass plugs were out. Instead of putting sheetmetal up there which is going to require bondo, sanding and painting, decided to just use the skin and make brackets for it to bolt into. It was easy enough once I figured out how to slide the lower cover back. I searched this site and could not find a DIY, so heres a quick pictorial

Tilt the sunroof just slightly forward so you can slide this under cover back

Once slid back, need to remove these three 17mm nuts

Need to tilt it to get to these T20

Tada:

Obligatory Sebring Glamour shot:

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Update:

Got the cage done. Painted with POR-15 in primer gray until I figure out what I am going to do with it colorwise.

Sorry XXLBIMMER. Guy here was local and got it done pretty quickly. Cage came out fine. Nothing sexy or ridiculous, but fine.

Also sacked up and got diffsonline 3.64 diff with the recommended ramps done and the rogue cover.

Added Achilles lower control arms for more rear camber. Re-aligned the car.

I'll add pics next thread

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    17 F250 12 Merc C250
    Looks great!! No worries here. If you ever need anything let me know.
    Chris Leone
    chrisleonemotorsports.com
    roll cages, repairs and racecar fabrication
    1984 318i now 325is
    1994 325is STU racecar
    1988 325is donor

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Been working on the car. Keep grinding it away a little a time. Now I'm at the details stage and this is where it is the most time consuming.

In the process of the fire system and have a question for you guys. Where to mount the bottle? I am going to have to add about 200lbs of ballast I think when it is all said and done.

The natural place to put it is here I think, but that's probably where the ballast is going to end up:

Though this seems like a good place but bolting it down well is going to be an issue since the tank is underneath it:

This is where I want to put it, but don't know if having the weight this high is going to be a problem. What I like about it here is that it is out of the way, I still have tons of room for the ballast and it's pretty easy to get to this area underneath so I can bolt it down well. Thoughts? Ideas? SUggestions?

Also, this little panel has so much damn work into it. Because Race Car.

My Cars
    E36 325i (sold)
    Awesome build, looking forward to whats next. Do you ever miss the Supra?

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
    Awesome build, looking forward to whats next. Do you ever miss the Supra?
    All. The. Time

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Well, the car got quite the de-flowering race experience.

WRL came to Daytona and we were going to run my buddy's Prelude. We finish putting the motor we had just bought from an engine place Thursday night and go to start it and yep, it was knocking like crazy.

So now we have no time, no engine, we are all pissed. It was cancel the event and lose our entry fee.

Then a light bulb went off and I said, we could run the BMW. We need to finish the fire system install, wire a new fuse panel and put the stock diff back in and we should be able to go. Mind you tech was at noon on Friday.

So we did what any sane car people would do. We finished the car and took it to Daytona. I had a little piece of pine that I was using as a template to mock up the fuse panel and we ended up racing with the pine.

Happy to report, 14 hour enduro, all we did was add gas and a little oil. We ran 283 trouble free laps. Finished 11th overall.

We spent too much time in the pits between not being able to fuel the car up to full, and having a small gas leak which we couldn't quite find when we were fueling, and me yacking in my helmet in my first stint after drinking too much rum the night before, we lost big time there.

However, on track, the car had pace. I was able to run 2:15's at Daytona on Direzza's and that's short shifting the car at 6000 RPM for the whole 14 hours. We would hit 6k at Nascar 3 and just hold it there all the way to 1. Leaders in our class were running a best of high 2:12's low 13's. I think the car has the pace for that if I opened her up some. Car still has no aero, I was running my monster car Sebring height, and the stock diff for that race.

We had a blast and the car was so fun to drive the whole time even the drift session during the downpours. The bus stop at night is amazing. Hard to describe but your landmarks get engraved during the day and at night you can't see the exits and you just trust that they are there. Really awesome. Highly recommend WRL if you haven't raced with them before. Put on a good event and the racing is clean. Randy Pobst was driving a car at the event.

Need to find where that leak is. Maybe from one of the charcoal can vent hoses?

Also, there is no ABS in the car anymore. Not sure how/ why. But it is gone. Not sure how to even begin diagnosing that. Any thoughts?

Here she is the night before. We like renting RV's and having the whole family come. Makes for a great weekend camping.

There's something awesome about Daytona

Here she is after 14 hours of running> Looking pretty good!

Not so good in the daylight! #patina
    Last edited by NotoriousJJE; 06-12-2017 at 12:44 AM. Reason: same pic keeps showing up!!!
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Sweet!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast