Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 99 E36 M3 STU/ GTS2-3 build #thesilvercar

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJJE View Post
    Man it sure looks like fiberglass but Mike said it wasn't. I can't tell what it is. I will take close up pics of the underside and post them.
    From the look of the spot of damage you showed in your pic above, the area in question is definitely fiberglass. When you cut the hole for the hood vent if the dust from the cut was white, then I'd say the whole hood is fiberglass. If it was carbon, the dust and the fibers/strands in that damaged area would be black.

My Cars
    Many
    And fiberglass has a very distinctive smell when cut. Takes me days to get the smell out my head/nose.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    From the look of the spot of damage you showed in your pic above, the area in question is definitely fiberglass. When you cut the hole for the hood vent if the dust from the cut was white, then I'd say the whole hood is fiberglass. If it was carbon, the dust and the fibers/strands in that damaged area would be black.
    Definitely not carbon. I just remember Mike saying that it was a different cloth than fiberglass. Weird. Been around boats long enough that I should know it when I see it. When I cut it, I didnt get it all in my arms and hands like I usually would with fiberglass but it definitely could be.

So after I fixed the motor, I got back to trying to diagnose what was going on with the brake lines. The lines themselves were fine, the leak was coming from two of the fittings adapting the stock hardlines to the stainless lines going to the firewall. The problem has to be coming from the flares.

This exposed a fundamental flaw with the way I plumbed it. In order to fix a problem in the brake lines, I have to drop the motor. This is a terrible problem and really shortsighted on my behalf. So I decided I need to re-plumb them.

Dropping the motor with the whole subfram is about eleventy billion times easier than the other way. We did it an hour.

IMG_8961[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Revisiting the brake lines, the access here sucks. To avoid problems in the future, I am going to eliminate all the junctions in this area.
    IMG_8963[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

First step is going straight from the master to the firewall. I should have done this from the beginnig.
    Next step is flaring the rear hard lines in a better spot (underneath the car) and running ne hard line from underneath the car to the firewall.
    The last step is replumbing the front lines all together. I am going to go from the bimmerworld brake lines to new stainless lines all the way to the firewall.

The AN stff is sealing great and is fairly easy to do. GOing to try and stick to it.

Thoughts?
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJJE View Post
    Definitely not carbon. I just remember Mike saying that it was a different cloth than fiberglass. Weird. Been around boats long enough that I should know it when I see it. When I cut it, I didnt get it all in my arms and hands like I usually would with fiberglass but it definitely could be.
    Most likely S-glass. A lighter more advanced version of fiberglass.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345