Thread: BMW ownership advice

My Cars
    Honda

BMW ownership advice

Hello Bimmerforums,

I'm looking to make the jump from a Honda to a BMW. It won't be a brand new BMW, and the reason I'm buying it is to do UberBlack in NYC.

I'm a college student with a part time job so I know I can't afford repairs to a luxury vehicle but I know with the payouts I'll receive from doing uber I can afford to maintain the vehicle.

Requirements of UberBLACK is that the BMW be of the 5 series variety and obviously black. My price range is 15k but that'll land me in a car with more than 50-70k miles on it of the 08-11 variety.

I'm hear looking for advice about what kind of repairs a BMW of that age would need? What type of issues could arise when I hit the 100k mark? What should I look for when inspecting the vehicle ? Anything that you think would help.

My Cars
    z3
    Uber black requires a car be 2010 or newer, you will be stretching your budget to make this happen and will likely end up with a car that needs repairs which can be costly. Driving for uber will also be putting more wear and tear on your car, so if you cant comfortably afford the car now I wouldnt buy it expecting uber to offset the costs of ownership.

My Cars
    2008 328xi
    Yea 2010 or newer if your dead set on it but most BMW's don't get vary good gas milage in the city...best I can get is 20 if I baby the heck out of it but mostly 14 mpg and that will eat your profits

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by Quietdnt View Post
    I'm a college student with a part time job so I know I can't afford repairs to a luxury vehicle but I know with the payouts I'll receive from doing uber I can afford to maintain the vehicle.
    How can you possibly know this?

Sorry but this is a bad idea IMHO.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    I know Uber is more voluntary than cabs (though not by much), but a cab typically puts about triple, or more, the mileage that a normal car does. Maintenance of a service vehicle is not like your average car. As your budget seems to be low to begin with, are you sure you will be making enough to take care of it?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.