Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E31 I-Bus protocol?

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    I've been using my Raspberry setup for about a year and a half now. My biggest regret was mounting everything up behind the glove box which made it very difficult to service/modify.

So I repackaged it this weekend and mounted it to the upper glove box. Now it is very easy to access/service and the audio is now free of alternator whine which was unexpected!

Below is the HD Radio module, Raspberry Pi and sound card along with my diagnostic interface (built around an Arduino).

Last edited by BMSman; 12-23-2018 at 11:12 PM.

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, '02 X5 4.6is
    Do you like your "HD Radio" module? I have got DMHD-1000 and it is far from perfect. Looks like it does not have any buffering for HD radio.
    So when signal is not very strong and the car is moving it sometimes looses HD signal and switches back to analog, a couple of seconds later it catches HD signal again and switches back to HD. It is very noticeable and annoying. I wish it had analog only mode option for weak stations.
    WBR, Tony

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    Yes I'm using the same module and it has the same problem you describe but only on weak signals, most of the time it is fine on the stations I listen to. I only drive the car once a week to work and back and usually only listen to a couple of stations. I bought a couple of these on Ebay for not much money and am generally very pleased with them.
    Last edited by BMSman; 12-23-2018 at 11:58 PM.

My Cars
    1993 850Ci, 2000 M5
    Hi BMSman,

Nice Job with the the Raspberry PI and the setup, interesting the approach you took on the project.

I just saw this thread for the first time today had I seen it sooner I would have contributed from another BMW enthusiast with a e46. His name is Trent Seed he had files on github with the e46 codes with a Rasberry pi running Linux with Reslers usb device connected to a Android Tablet via bluetooth. Java app on the android

The UI was very basic but there was alot of coding completed. The code values for the iBus I think are different for the e46 than the e31.

I believe he took the project to a certain level and stopped working on it. I tried reaching out to him via email to see if he was interested in doing additional coding and paying him a reasonable fee but never got a response.

I am not a programmer but am an IT consultant so I enjoy the techie stuff.

I reached out to a friend of mine who is a programmer to assist in my project will create anew thread once I have made some progress.

If you want send me a PM and we can chat

My Cars
    850CI740Lsezd750L95sezd
    So this has been quiet for a while. Maybe we can get more going on this. I've got some time. AND a deg. in Electrical Engineering. Let me know.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    I know this is an old thread.. But, is there any way to wake up the E31 MID unit on the table without electronic body module. For example, emulating ibus with raspberry or arduino? Has anyone ever tried and succeeded with it?

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    Quote Originally Posted by elektoni View Post
    I know this is an old thread.. But, is there any way to wake up the E31 MID unit on the table without electronic body module. For example, emulating ibus with raspberry or arduino? Has anyone ever tried and succeeded with it?
    Of course it is possible but I doubt anybody is going to hand you a solution. You will need some basic programming and hardware skills. Pretty much all the information is available on this thread and km5tz.com.
    The E31 MID is unique and has no intelligence, it simply stores and displays information and provides keyboard entry. If you have an E31 it would be far easier to plug into the car. Perhaps if you explained what you are trying to accomplish?

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Three of my boxes (MID, ETV, CEFIG) have IBUS capability, and since I write the software, I get to tell them what conversations to have on the bus.
    Any of them can emulate anything else.
    Sorry, this solution is not commercial, not available to others.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Thank you for the replies mates. I am not looking for a easy hands on solution. This thread has some great information about this and revtor has made some tremendous work. I will try few things with my arduino and see if I can make it work.

This is a little bit off topic but I am trying to repair a "dead" MID unit from a local club member and waking the MID on the table would help me a lot to diagnose its' problem.
    e31.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12