Thread: Mounting harnesses to seat brackets, yes or no?

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3/2/5

Mounting harnesses to seat brackets, yes or no?

Car is an E36 M3 HPDE car.

Conventional wisdom says to drill holes in the body, and mount the lap and sub belts directly to the chassis. Shoulder belts to the cage.

But, in a car you don't particularly want to go drilling a bunch of holes in, there are several options that allow you to mount to either seat base brackets, or even the side mounts.

I tried looking up documentation to either support or deny the safety of it, but not getting very far. Obviously, if the seat base or side mount fails, your harness is compromised. The possibility of that happening? Associated risks?

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Technically, they harness should be mounted to the car, not the seat ... the idea is that no matter what happens to the seat (the bolts fail, floor fails, etc), the harness will keep you in place. Obviously depending on how your mounts are attached makes a difference.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3/2/5
    That all makes perfect sense. First option would be just the Brey Krause side mounts, which have added features that allow you to mount both the stock hip receptacle, as well as lap belts for a 6pt harness.

http://www.bkauto.com/R_9250_Driver_...m_p/r-9250.htm

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3/2/5
    Does anyone make an FIA certified slider?

My Cars
    99 M3
    I know this is a little old, but I am getting a cage soon and want to have know what I need to do when I get it. I figured no need to start a new thread when one was already started. Anyway, I understand mounting to the chassis is the best, but what do you need to do to reinforce the mount point?

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Quote Originally Posted by mindspin311 View Post
    Does anyone make an FIA certified slider?
    No FIA rating that I know of, but there are crash standards that matter for sliders

https://www.subesports.com/cobra/uni...iders/cob-0210

Cobra universal double locking sliders are "ECE R17 approved". That's a European crash standard referring to "Seat Anchorages & Head Restraints".

I've personally used a lot of brands of sliders and this Cobra dual locking design is all I will use for race seats.

My shop just did this Cobra Suzuka GT seat install into a 335 last week using this slider. Works very well.

I have this same slider under the Cobra Suzuka driver's seat of my own E46 330 race car, so my wife and I can both drive it. Secure, no slop, low profile, works great.

Quote Originally Posted by peapodf50 View Post
    ... I am getting a cage soon and want to have know what I need to do (about mounting harnesses).... mounting to the chassis is the best, but what do you need to do to reinforce the mount point?
    Whoever is building your cage should be able to make the harness anchors at the same time, and should know enough to explain what to get.

When you buy the 6+ point harnesses you should order them with "clip-in" style ends for the lap and anti-sub belts.

The kit shown above comes from Schroth (included with harness purchase) with the four clip-in harnesses, four eyelets, and two reinforcement plates (for the lap belts) as well as the "wavy washers" for use on both sides of the sheet metal, under the eyelets.

These reinforcing plates with the nuts welded to them go on the opposite side of the chassis sheet metal from the lap belt eyelets. You can do the same for the anti-subs as well, but usually you do something else - like the following:

If you have a bracket that bolts or welds to the chassis, upon which your seat/sliders bolt to... you can have the structure fabricated to bolt the anti-sub anchors to, like above.

Again - your roll cage fabricator should be familiar with all of this.
    Last edited by Fair; 04-18-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Terry: Just wanted to say that I've been running into a bunch of your posts lately and they have all been extremely detailed and helpful. Thanks for making this forum a better resource for all of us amateurs.

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    Terry: Just wanted to say that I've been running into a bunch of your posts lately and they have all been extremely detailed and helpful. Thanks for making this forum a better resource for all of us amateurs.
    This is just how I post. I'm actually kind of embarrassed by how LITTLE time I've spent on Bimmerforums in the last few years. I used to be on here for 1-2+ hours a day for a decade... so I'm trying to make time to come here more often and chime in when I have something useful to add.

I race a BMW yet am on other non-BMW boards more often. WTF is that?

About to kick off a crazy "forum build thread" on the 750+ hp E46 M3 above... maybe that'll keep me over here more.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    99 M3
    Terry: Thank you so much for confirming what I thought was the safe way to install the harnesses. Now I just need to get the seats in and verify location of where to drill. Very detailed and left no question for me to ask.