Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Project "Try Out Drifting" (with an old slushbox E36 sedan)

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Just don't fall into the perpetual build trap.
    Like the rest of us.jpg
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Well, that is actually part of why I am requiring myself to get the 540 turbo project moved along too. It has been in the state of perpetual-build-ness for way too long now. I refuse to have two of my cars in that state at the same time. Every so often I realize I have a car (or jeep once) that has slipped into that situation, and I have to buckle the hell down to knock it out.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    the auto should be able to handle the power just fine because you're sliding. if you were drag racing it'd be a concern, but there isn't a whole lot of driveline shock when drifting.
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

My Cars
    98 323
    Excessive fluid temps are usually what kills auto trannies, install a cooler and you'll at least buy yourself some extra time
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    It has a pretty decently sized trans cooler on it from the factory that mounts on the very front of the radiator (not an integral one). Unfortunately, I forgot at both drifting events to hook up the scan tool and see what temps were doing. I'll try to remember to do that at a test and tune night some time early in the season.

My Cars
    98 323
    dang i just googled it, that cooler is pretty big (for an OEM one anyway)

i'd personally be a little bit worried... but my decisions/opinions have led me to missing out on a whole year of drifting! so carry on!
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    "worried"? About this car? Nah, the whole point of my infatuation with this car is the complete lack of worries. It's the crappiest car, and my favorite car I've ever had. By far!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Ok, decision made today. I'm giving myself until the end of February to work on the 540 turbo project, and then it is finally coming out of the garage (even if it isn't properly driveable) so I can put this car in the garage and slap a turbo on it before the April 30th first drifting day that is on the schedule around here. I'm so excited to get back to working on this car haha...

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Turdbo!

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Youbetchya hahaha. Turdboslushboxer! Ordering parts for it this very second, trying to see if I can make this an efficient install for once...

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    That's gonna be sweet! Im curious as to how the AT is going to like the boosted life.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Youbetchya hahaha. Turdboslushboxer! Ordering parts for it this very second, trying to see if I can make this an efficient install for once...
    Can't wait to hear what parts you're getting!
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Im curious as to how the AT is going to like the boosted life.
    That will be very interesting to find out indeed. The 4L30e seems to be a more robust transmission than people give it credit for, but from what I can tell it's kind of an unknown since anyone interested in a performance application just swaps them out for a manual.

The potential troubles that I foresee are:
    a) it just breaks because it isn't strong enough.
    b) the trans controller is unhappy because of the load it's seeing from the MAF.

Regarding that second one, when I had a big leak at the rubber boot between the MAF and the throttle body, I would get random transmission limp modes that were stemming from a bad load value that fell outside of the parameters the trans controller wanted to see. When I replaced that boot all is good again.

If this second item seems to be the only real issue, then I might actually try to run the trans from a microsquirt or something. James Murray who writes the MegaSquirt code that everyone uses successfully to run their 4L80e and 4L60e transmissions tells me that he thinks the 4L30e had the same basic set of inputs and outputs when he looked, so it should work. Of course, that could be a bit of a mess, so I won't try that unless I have a situation that allows me to have the car out of commission for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    Can't wait to hear what parts you're getting!
    Man, you are not going to believe the junk I'm getting for this setup lol. Here's the turbo manifold I picked up a few months back for about $129 shipped (it's actually surprisingly nice quality in hand):

turbomani.jpg

And I got this turbo a couple weeks ago (seems extremely nice):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131612722990...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And some ubiquitous Siemens Deka 80s:

Deka80s.jpg

I have a genuine TiAL 38/39 wastegate sitting here ready to go on, but that is waaaay too nice, and would totally ruin the "garbage slapped together" theme I have going on here, so I'll probably cut the 38mm wastegate flange off the manifold and replace it with a 44mm so I can run a disgusting old China 44mm wastegate I have sitting here from an old project.

That's about it other than I'm ordering the RallyRoad VANOS oil feed banjo bolt and probably a feed line from them. Gonna keep this simple and not try to make more than 300-350 max for now. Really I don't even think I need that much...
    Last edited by tptrsn; 02-13-2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Broken links

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Alright, I just sent in my money for the April 30th event. I'm still giving myself another week to work on the 540 turbo, but then it's going to be a race to see how quickly I can get the turbo setup and sorted on this sucker so I can hit that season opener with it.

I'm initially going to be running the 540 on the DME, so I don't see that being sorted in time..

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Alright, I just sent in my money for the April 30th event. I'm still giving myself another week to work on the 540 turbo, but then it's going to be a race to see how quickly I can get the turbo setup and sorted on this sucker so I can hit that season opener with it.

I'm initially going to be running the 540 on the DME, so I don't see that being sorted in time..
    Thinking about signing up for that one even though I still have to weld my diff and do my subframe bushings.
    IG: allen_union

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Those are easy! If you don't feel like doing the welding, Mike Skudlarek (Detroit Drifting Co.) will do it for you for 50 bucks. Apparently if you make an appointment with him he will do it while you wait!

I used the green Revshift bushings for my subframe, and they were very nice to deal with.

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta say though, now that I signed up for that event, I am feeling the heat. Two cars with fairly big chances of failing to make it to/through the event. Haha

Also, if anyone has any knowledge of where the most common place is to relocate the windshield washer reservoir to when you add a topmount to a e36, I'd love to hear about it.
    Last edited by tptrsn; 02-23-2017 at 06:15 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I've always found the garbage can to be a good location. Either that or get a smaller reservoir and put it by the Ecu in the corner of the bay. Would still be close to where I imagine the down pipe running though

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Haha (garbage can)! I've actually been driving this sucker without an operational windshield washer pump, but that is while knowing that I have a new one sitting there for when I want to get off my ass and install it. Since I love bombing around in this car in the winter, I will probably just have to fab up something somewhere if there isn't a common solution.

Do any of you know what FMIC sizes are commonly fit in e36es that are without A/C condenser and without Aux fan?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    idk if you'll have room with the FMIC, but here's an option for the washer tank relocation.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...61662228390kt/

i'm personally putting mine in the trunk. i like to be able to tear off the bumper quickly and idk if the bumper mounted washer tank will allow for that, or hinder it.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Thanks Dok B!

I've just been out looking at options for this answer, and I think I've come up with a couple of appropriately hack-ish possibilities for this build. The less hack-ish one is to slam something like this Universal Windshield Washer Reservoir somewhere, anywhere under the hood or in the bumper facia really (Length: 7.5 inch Height: 8.25 inch Width: 4.25 inch). I agree though, nowhere where it would hinder the rapid dismantling of the front end.

I hate to say it, but that ECS Tuning option is way too nice for what I have going on here, and any option I choose has to be a lot closer to free... Or I'll just continue to go without windshield washers.

The more hack option is that I snagged an absolutely useless catch can kit off of eBay a while ago. I think it would be a great (and tiny) WW Res, and it even has a sight tube so I can see that after using it twice or whatever I'm nearly out of juice. Glad I didn't really need a catch can when this bastard came in:

Useless as a catch can but maybe ok for something else

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    I'm here to help.
    but I am also maniacally cheap. I bought a ~$10 plastic Dorman coolant overflow bottle (jug? Box?) years ago to use as a washer solvent res and it finally came out of the box recently to be used for its original purpose since I have a small coolant res on the gripmissile. It would be perfect for washer juices. It's translucent white/clear and has a nipple out the bottom so the pump can be plumbed with a bit of vac tube. I'll see if I can't find a part number just for reference or if you don't use your catch can conversion.

- - - Updated - - -

Dorman 603-001

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Dude, that is the exact thing I linked, I just misnamed it when I posted the link because I'm an idiot! Lol

Where are you planning to mount it?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Dude, that is the exact thing I linked, I just misnamed it when I posted the link because I'm an idiot! Lol

Where are you planning to mount it?
    i welded in a strut bar in the trunk. I'll probably just hang it right off that. (I may use zip ties.)

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    NOW you're talking my language!
    Our build threads have eerily similar ethos. We agree on more than we don't for sure.
    (we both prefer party over pretense.)

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast