Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Project "Try Out Drifting" (with an old slushbox E36 sedan)

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Damn yall are friends on fb? Why not me?!

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Yep, partied too hard. Unfortunately something I'm well acquainted with in several different regards... Can't fight what you are!

Anyway, there is a low speed right hander in the infield that is low-grip on top of being low-speed. When I slowed to a reasonable speed for that corner I had been unable to stay in drift without spinning out, so I had just been trying to go through there too fast and nip off some dirt at the apex with my front trail tire.

On the injurious run through there, I put both front tires across the dirt. The lead tire/wheel dropped into a hole right up next to the edge of the pavement, and caught the edge of the pavement pretty hard, and at a very unfortunate angle. It ripped the bolt at the top of the knuckle loose from the strut, and bent the bottom mounting location of the strut where the knuckle attached to it.

At least that's what I think happened in terms of damage, I haven't even touched it yet, so the knuckle could be mangled too. The wheel got pretty beat to hell, so I'm guessing it's also bent, but dunno yet.

And you're right Nic, if it was test n' tune night, I would have been right at home with the roundyrounder boys. "Got me some positive camber in that left front to grip up the front end." "Loose is fast y'all!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Damn yall are friends on fb? Why not me?!
    Bookface bro? I have no idea how that shiz works. Not to say I'm not on it, just that I don't know what I'm doing...
    Last edited by tptrsn; 05-04-2017 at 09:52 AM.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Here's a little video to provide some evidence that someone good would be able to drift an automatic (I was having some trouble with it on the run in this video, but still). Hopefully you'll be able to see it on bookface, it isn't on YouTube yet. I'm pretty happy with how the car sounds now!:

https://www.facebook.com/dailydriver...71108193006809

Ok, just loaded up on YouTube for others like me who aren't big fans of bookface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sDOBjHeILM
    Last edited by tptrsn; 05-08-2017 at 02:12 PM.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    GETTING AFTER IT!!!!
    hell yeah!
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I wonder if you could left foot brake to stay at more angle while drifting? Or install your slr kit and then you'd have more room for error if braking made the rear end want to step around you

- - - Updated - - -

Still way better then me drifting my stock q45 a couple years back lol

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    I wonder if you could left foot brake to stay at more angle while drifting? Or install your slr kit and then you'd have more room for error if braking made the rear end want to step around you
    It's a little unfortunate that the clip he posted was from when I had on the smaller diameter tires, because they had the ECU and/or the TCU super pissed off, and the car was doing funny shit and going into limp mode and whatnot.

So anyway, I had several prettier runs than the one in the video, but still I think you're right about needing more angle for a safety net. There were a couple of times when I did things that felt quite correct with the larger rear tires on, and just ran out of angle and half-spun or whatever. The wind up of the torque converter at the same time as boost comes up makes it a challenge.

Because of all that, now my goal is to keep from breaking the trans until I have a chance to try out this setup with the angle kit installed. I think it might be pretty sweet. Haha

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    You can see where the auto trans is letting you down. But damn it still gets the job done.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I definitely got it (the auto trans and whole setup) to work better after the run in the video, when I went to the stupidly tall tires.

It seems that with boost I need to tighten up the parameters for the rev limiter at least. With the short tires on the car, even at 8psi it just blasts past the 6500 rev limit to almost 7k. Then I get a trans code for load signal over CAN too high, and engine overruns interlock (?), and then I'm in limp mode.

Before the turbo install, those problems only happened if I raised the rev limit too high and hit the limiter too hard, usually while roasting tires. Seems that with the turbo on the car, the ridiculously tall tires on the car making the taller overall gearing tames everything down just enough that the trans controller is happy I guess.

Overall, I am going to try to do some more tuning to re-scale the MAF a little bit to reduce the reported load, and see if that allows me to raise the boost some. After that, if I can get it to work, I will see if I can play around with the rev limiter some to give me a bit of cushion there...

The trans isn't particularly happy in third gear, or just shifting under boost currently, so I don't know if I will try a shift kit in this one, or just change to a different trans (still ATX) all together. In the mean time, I need to get back to doing some work on the 540 and get that sucker eating some boost.... That car has a 6-spd manual in it, but I might have to suffer through some driftage with that damn inconvenient clutch at some point.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    If you're swapping transmissions, you might as well add the third pedal. The cost isn't much more.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Accept my friend request dijon!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Hold on, I'll go see if I can figure it out! That's a bookface thing, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Got it!!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    WE'RE FRIENDS! My day has been made. You're gonna spend so much money on the car but handicap it.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I'm not trying to prove anything, just having fun doing stupid stuff. It's kind of ironic to me to try to do stupid stuff "the right way." Know what I mean? More fun for me to do stupid stuff stupidly.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Should get something FF then lol. How are you not frustrated by the limitations? I hate anything that keeps me from performing to the best of my ability.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Should get something FF then lol. How are you not frustrated by the limitations? I hate anything that keeps me from performing to the best of my ability.
    I hear there's a pill to help with that

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Damn, that is ON POINT!

And to answer the question, I'm already having pretty much maximum amounts of fun. I really want to never get great at drifting -- My competitive days are behind me. To me everything is perfect.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I get it... but I don't get it. I think I'm just too competitive. I hate being competitive too.

My Cars
    e30
    Video was tighttt. Teach me the ways of this ms41.1 tuning. Your car looks like the exact amount of power I want to make in my e30. Time to do more research

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    . . .I think I'm just too competitive. I hate being competitive too.
    See, you need to get an automatic! It keeps your expectations and therefore your competitiveness in check. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow505 View Post
    Video was tighttt. Teach me the ways of this ms41.1 tuning. Your car looks like the exact amount of power I want to make in my e30. Time to do more research
    Here's a page I wrote to hopefully help bimmer folk get started with it (the links have been a bit randomly broken, so I hope they are working):

https://sites.google.com/site/openms...with-romraider

By the way, with a manual transmission, I think there is a lot of power to be made with the same setup as I have on my engine. It's the trans control unit that is causing me the problems I think.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Video is up on YouTube now. I need to try to get the guy some views since I asked him to put it up on there. Is it just me, or does it really sound better on YouTube? It's quite possible I'm just completely inept with facebook... And I'm good with that! Haha

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I think FB dumbs down stuff a lot. I can hear your hand brake kill revs. Braaaa.oh....

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Yeah you should work more on pushing the clutch all the way in before you get on the handbrake. Oh wait....

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

- - - Updated - - -

I do have to be off the gas for the hand brake to work properly, same thing as having the clutch in I guess, lol.

Remember though, I was getting limp mode problems on that run so some of the bogging out on the far bank was some power loss from that. I'm hoping some video of a better run might pop up, but so far not.

Just watched it again, I think my only handbrake use on that run was some too-late use of it into the infield right hander. That's it.
    Last edited by tptrsn; 05-08-2017 at 03:58 PM.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Thad, I'm about to pull an auto from my 96 328is parts car.
    lmk if you need an engine, trans, or any associated bits. I'll get you hooked up cheap!
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast