Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Project "Try Out Drifting" (with an old slushbox E36 sedan)

My Cars
    98 328is
    my buddy pulld the power brakes from his 4 dr e36 328. good for left foot braking while drifting, not so much for driving around town. or when someone (me) isnt familiar with it and hops in to take it for a spin.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    my buddy pulld the power brakes from his 4 dr e36 328. good for left foot braking while drifting, not so much for driving around town. or when someone (me) isnt familiar with it and hops in to take it for a spin.
    Interesting!!

Did he use the chasebays setup, or a home made setup with a Wilwood MC of some description, or just de-power the factory booster somehow? Chasebays claims that they've done the work to determine the "perfect" MC diameter to work just right with the stock pedal leverage and whatnot. I don't really believe it, but I always really liked a really high effort brake pedal when I was racing, so I'm excited about the whole thing no matter what.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Oh yeah, I also got tired of RomRaider, and I playing with the 540 helped me to remember just how much I love the MS3X and TunerStudio engine control combo, so I started doing this again for the red car:

LRS-LS MS3X.jpg

MS3+MS3X is heaven.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I remember my megasquirt days. I don't miss them much.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    I remember my megasquirt days. I don't miss them much.
    So you've said. Is it possible that...

You're doing it wrong?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    All I saw in your last post was scarjo

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    See, someone loves you!

Seriously though, that segway dude is pretty awesome.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I guess I spent most of last year messing with the 540, but I sold that sucker in the late summer, and over the winter I've done some dumb things to the 328. Here's what became of the 540:

I did take it to a couple of drifting events, and it was ok, but the power steering system really wasn't happy. Overall it was just too boat-ey to be very much fun:

540 Drift Bank 1.jpg

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I added the little red shitbox to the "cool kids" club:

Underhood mostly finished.jpg

Motor mounts detail shot.jpg

Coolant tubes.jpg

Little test run to document what it sounds like prior to adding turbos:

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Still auto?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    But then I immediately got the LRS excluded from the cool kids club by learning to build TH400s and making sure that it stays a slushbox build:

Billet aluminum reverse manual valve body with engine braking in all gears like trophy trucks use:

Billet VB.jpg

8" racing torque converter with tig welded this and that, and billet stator goodness:

8 inch Race Converter.jpg

Converter feed mods to protect the crank thrust bearing:

Converter Feed Circuit Mods.jpg

Input shaft endlplay measuring... Had to buy some new selective washers:

Input Shaft Endplay.jpg

Low roller clutch and geartrain guts:

Low Roller.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Still auto?
    Of course bro!

My Cars
    LS E46
    So what happens when you try to pull the hand brake?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Same thing that happens when you pull the hand brake? Not sure I know what you mean??

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Are you asking if the handbrake works without stalling the engine or something? If so, yes it does.

You do have to lift off the gas to effectively use the hand brake, but that's no real difference from using a manual transmission. Is that what you meant?

My Cars
    LS E46
    Considering I’m able to disengage the engine from the wheels when I pull my hand brake, I sincerely doubt the same thing happens - or will happen with this new highly aggressive converter. Are you devoid of an operational 2nd foot or something? What exactly is the point of building an auto for this?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    Considering I’m able to disengage the engine from the wheels when I pull my hand brake, I sincerely doubt the same thing happens
    Doubt away my friend! That is a big part of my amusement of doing this sort of a project. Lol

- or will happen with this new highly aggressive converter.
    Your ideas about torque converters seem to be kind of the opposite of how things actually work. Pretty typical for us lifelong manual transmission fanboys.

Are you devoid of an operational 2nd foot or something? What exactly is the point of building an auto for this?
    The point is purely for my amusement, and along the way I decided it would be a good way for me to get over my lifelong fear of automatic transmissions. Mission accomplished.

It might be important to mention that this is not a pro-am car build, and I actually don't even care if I ever do any tandems with it. It's just for goofing around and having fun. Some drifting, some drag racing, some gravel road bombing, you name it.

My Cars
    LS E46
    I don’t have any “idea” about torque converters - I’m simply going by what you said about how this new one works. But keep keeping on.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I guess you mean that the "valve body has engine braking in all gears"? That really doesn't say as much about how the converter works as it must seem.

The fact that it's an 8" converter means that it is pretty loose down low (i.e., doesn't try to kill then engine when the wheels are stopped), and allows the engine to come up into it's power band before it starts to make enough coupling to really transfer the torque through to the transmission (i.e., don't necessarily need to have a clutch to kick). The other fancy stuff inside of it is for durability when I start throwing some boost at it.

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    I added the little red shitbox to the "cool kids" club:

Underhood mostly finished.jpg

Motor mounts detail shot.jpg

Coolant tubes.jpg

Little test run to document what it sounds like prior to adding turbos:

Sexy

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Lol, thanks.

Pretty shitty compared to your project, but I'll have fun with it. And of course, pretty much everything about it is "wrong," so I enjoy that part of it.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Olympic level madness.
    I'm glad I logged into BF.c today!

Thad, you're the hero we need.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    98 BMW 323is - 2.8T
    Lol, thanks.

Pretty shitty compared to your project, but I'll have fun with it. And of course, pretty much everything about it is "wrong," so I enjoy that part of it.
    Now it's just the running gamble to see who's runs first lol. Season opener is quickly approaching gentlemen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    Olympic level madness.
    I'm glad I logged into BF.c today!

Thad, you're the hero we need.
    HAHA! Thanks DokB, great to hear from you!! It is great to have someone around who appreciates some good old fashioned vehicular dumbassery.

Thing going well for you? As always, I keep losing track of your thread for some reason. I did have some seriously trollicious ideas recently for a P-car project of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginge323 View Post
    Now it's just the running gamble to see who's runs first lol. Season opener is quickly approaching gentlemen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Truthat! But honestly, Chad's project is way cooler, and his rate of progress is much more impressive. He wins either way! I keep getting bogged down with building a transmission over and over, building an ECU, putting radiator in the trunk for no reason and then having to redesign the system, etc... Chad is just getting straight to the work of building a super cool thing to have fun with. I'm in awe of that late model mustang dash in the E46. So SWEET!

If I actually get my ass in gear well enough to have my car ready to slide with days to spare, I'm going to see if there is anything I can help him out with on his car at that point (but fat chance I will make it). I really want to hear that beast shred tire. It's gonna be epic.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    HAHA! Thanks DokB, great to hear from you!! It is great to have someone around who appreciates some good old fashioned vehicular dumbassery.

Thing going well for you? As always, I keep losing track of your thread for some reason. I did have some seriously trollicious ideas recently for a P-car project of my own.
    I've been lazy and neglectful of the p-car. It's just been sitting. I bought some junk for it over the winter and tinkered with the interior and power-to-manual window conversion. I did finally get out there on Saturday and spent ~13 hours working on the engine. I should have had the damned thing completely built, but instead, I installed the headstuds upside down, fixed that, and then broke a piston ring....like a fool.

link: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-build-23.html
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    All good brother!! Gotta mess stuff up or you aren't learning! At least that's what I tell myself.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast