Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Project "Try Out Drifting" (with an old slushbox E36 sedan)

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    The latest version of the LittleRedSh!tbox/slushboxk drift sedan is starting to come together!

Sunday was a pretty good little shakedown at Flat Rock Speedway. I finally have the SLR Budget Angle kit on the car, with valuable setup assistance from Sean, and also some super useful help on the rear suspension settings from MikeE36, the car is really starting to feel like it will be "almost properly" driftable.

I have more work to do on the tune in the coming weeks to gain some torque and spool quickness, and then I need to learn how to rip this sucker much better, but I hope to really be shredding with this beast later in the year. I LOVE IT! Lol.

At any rate, here is the starting point for the year -- I think this was a run when I was not only messing with the tune of the boost controller duty cycle, but I was also trying to see if I could get around without any e-brake use. I made it, but it was a little sedate:

A decent little run, but not my best, I was trying a lot of different stuff throughout the day with the tune and whatnot, and it didn't all work out so great

And then there's this killer shot from one of my better rips around the banking:

Backing it in at Flat Rock - May 2019.jpg

TAL04843-Edit-1.jpg

Big thanks to Tyler Lenzen/Motiv8edMedia for the killer shots!!
    Last edited by tptrsn; 05-15-2019 at 09:48 AM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Dat budget kit angle. I didn't expect you to get that much. Unless you're spinning out in that pic lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I honestly don't know! I did spin out at least once on that bank that I remember, but I don't know if that is it or not. There were definitely some good runs through there with pretty decent angle.

In that pic I'd say at the very least it was toward the end of the bank when I was angling up to come down into the infield. Still though, the budget kit is pretty awesome to me. I think that even people who know what is what would like it!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Sean has his faults but damn the products work well. Well mostly... lol I want my e46 front sway bar.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Sean has his faults but damn the products work well. Well mostly... lol I want my e46 front sway bar.
    To me Sean is an absolute CHAMP!! His products I have are incredibly high quality, very reasonable price for the quality level, and he is a wealth of knowledge. Clearly I'm a big fan of him. Lol

My only reservation on him is that it's hard to get off the phone from talking with him because he has so much great info to share.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    When you get him, he's great. But sometimes parts are back ordered months. Or like the camber plates weren't 100% universal. So we had to wait till he came out with his own bottom plate. I wish the CABs were pressed in from them instead of having to cut off the powder coated tape.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    This thing is getting to be a LOT of fun! Even when someone left the ground for the radiator fan loose it turns out... Lol

I think there's a chance that by the end of this season I might actually be able to drift this sucker reasonably well.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    When you get him, he's great. But sometimes parts are back ordered months. Or like the camber plates weren't 100% universal. So we had to wait till he came out with his own bottom plate. I wish the CABs were pressed in from them instead of having to cut off the powder coated tape.
    Sean is super easy to get a hold of these days, so is Ryan. I've called them both a handful of times and they either answer or call back promptly. Haven't tried email though. As far as the camber plates you just needed to get Ebay lowers, he even sent me the link to buy. I'm trying to order the new modular kit as we speak actually.

And yeah the budget kit is nuts. I had a car here with it and I swear it'd got as much angle as my E46 ultra kit.

oh, and what part of the sway bar are you having issues with? Whiteline bar + Bimmerworld or SLR end links, I have the BW links on my car. Just had to drill 2 holes.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    wish he woulda told me about the ebay lowers!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    And yeah the budget kit is nuts. I had a car here with it and I swear it'd got as much angle as my E46 ultra kit.
    I've only had the budget kit, and I don't know much about angle kit stuff, but is there any reason why the budget kit WOULDN'T have as much angle as the full kit? Seems like the length and narrowness of the control arms are the only dimensions that would really matter for that since the rest of the hardware is the same I think. Right?

wish he woulda told me about the ebay lowers!
    I think those are a part from the Maxpeedingrods coilovers right? Most people on the internetz are extremely judgey about those, so maybe Sean is careful who he mentions them to. Pure speculation on my part, but if I was him I would be pretty damn careful who I mentioned that stuff to. Some drifting peeps can be oddly judgmental about the quality of hardware stuff.
    Last edited by tptrsn; 05-21-2019 at 07:47 PM.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Went digging through my history, it was these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-3-S...item1a201ebc6c

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Kinda late now. My e30 is dead and the other one I built got the new SLR lowers

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Made a fun GIF from a series of still shots my buddy took at a little kart track event last month:

In other news, I have been playing around with de-powered steering. At first it seemed super violent on the big circle track when it would transition at higher speeds, but then I sort of started fighting it less, and I think maybe I like it... There are two more events I'm hoping to hit this year if my luck is good, and I think I will do both of them with the de-powered steering. I'm going to move up to a 15" or 17" wheel to gain a little more leverage, and see how that feels.

Oh! I see I never posted my timeslip from the drag strip in this thread. Just mashing the gas as the lights came down (no pre-loading or foot braking), it went 10.6@143. The $129 Maxpeedingrods GT35 turbos in the trunk do work. Lol

Milan Time Slip 8-19-19.jpg Milan Soft DR Burnout.jpg

Milan Soft Launch.jpg
    Last edited by tptrsn; 10-13-2019 at 09:13 PM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Nice! that's an amazing time too!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I just realized that I have never posted up any pics of the current status of the trunk. It has the radiator laying flat, and a pair of MaXpeedingRODS GT35 turbos behind that:

Rear Radiator and Turbos -- SmallFile.jpg

LRS Trunklid--SmallFile.jpg

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    how do those Derale's work? Looks like the same one I just got for Joshes car.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    This is the one that is supposed to flow 4,000cfm. To me it seems like it works very well, but I don't really have much experience with different rad/fan setups. HOT air comes BLASTING out of the trunk vents like a furnace.

With that said, this setup works perfectly great for drifting and obviously then, for drag racing. Strangely, it doesn't work well for just driving down the highway in the summer. I think something about the bernouli effect of the airflow above and below the car just leaves the fans without any useful air to work with. I'm planning to mess around with it more next year and see if I can figure it out.

Oh, also I should mention that I ended up adding a sizable swirl pot into the system at some point this year, and that seemed to make everything work well. I will find some better pics of the current setup and post them later today or over the weekend.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    It was brought to my attention that I hadn't updated this chronicle of nonsense in a while (Thanks DokB!). So of course I wrote a book in his build thread about his classic 911 P-car. Nonsensical as ever on my part. Haha..

So anyway, here is the copy/paste from his thread:

It definitely will be interesting to see what types of car events are available this year, for sure.

Mainly I've been working on re-fabricating parts of the exhaust system that feeds the hottest exhaust from the engine to the turbos in the trunk. The extreme heat in such a long run of tubing makes for much larger than expected expansion in the system, which screws with everything.

Additionally, something else I've noticed is that mandrel bends seem to want to go somewhat back to straight when subjected to crazy heat cycles, so that has also caused problems in my current system.

To deal with these heat related issues, I am re-building most of the system out of pie-cuts instead of mandrel bends, AND, I made a super fancy, highly reinforced, long stretch bellows piece. Fingers crossed that I can see a bit more reliability this year for closer to trouble-free shenanigans.

Oh! I'm also fabricating a double pass intercooler into smallish "radiator" that tucks in behind my massive intercooler. Possibly it will work well enough that I can use just it, and I will delete the rear-mount radiator, which works great for drifting and drag racing, but ironically does not work worth a damn when just driving down the road... Who would have guessed!

Oh! (#2) I was planning to just run the 4-point-great for a little longer, and try to crack a 9 in the quarter with the drift car, but then I decided I would slap together a 6.0 instead, so that is happening... Lol

And Protomor, if there is any drifting to be done this year when all is said and done with Coronacation, I will be trying to be a bit more precise in my driftage with the TH400. Largely for your amusement. I am planning to add a decent hydro, so maybe that will give me a bit more of a fighting chance at things. Currently I don't feel like I am properly capable of tandem action, though lead runs have gotten pretty reasonable for me.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    More video and more pictures pleaaaseeee. Maybe join us in the digital drift world too!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I'll try to do a little better with video and whatnot this year. Hopefully that will go well... But the world is an odd place currently. Lol

As far as the virtual world, I tried to get going on AC once last year, but it didn't go well. Haha. We shall see.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    find me on discord or facebook or instagram or whatever. I can help you through it. I'm actually gonna do a writeup for n00bs. I have a TON of interest in the virtual drift world.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I have to re-fab a bunch of stuff on my shitbox currently, and build a 6.0, but if I get some extra spare time I will try to take another crack at the AC, especially if your newb setup guide is simple enough for boomers like me to understand.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314