Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: replacement antenna unit

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3 Roadster1997 View Post
    where can one find a new antenna for 1997 Z3 i just have a non grommet hole and a hole looking for the antenna i guess
    It is all in Post #15.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjason2006 View Post
    I would also be interested in the adapter info. The design of the whole original system is interesting for sure. Although, even without a antenna I get pretty good reception.
    I used a universal rubber antenna because that is my preference. I got it at autozone for $8-$10

The adapter that connected the autozone universal antenna in my existing wiring in my trunk was the Metro40-VW16

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is another adapter that would work but you have to wire that one all the way to your stereo. I did not want to do that. This was much easier for me. I had to take a leap of faith based on the pics that this was the correct one but when I looked at the reviews I saw that another BMW owner had used it as well.

My Cars
    Z3M, Supercharged Miata
    Thanks I was looking at that connection the other night and it is backwards from most antennas if that makes sense. Even though my head unit is immaculate and I have the 6inch sub I think I am just going to gut this thing and start over. Most of the threads are outdated and the speakers are discontinued. After I dug around and found a pyle dual voice coil 6.5 that I shoe horned in and it still sounds terrible at speed I am going to just bite the bullet. The 150.00 Antennae base was just kind of killing my drive to change anything yet.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Thanks I was looking at that connection the other night and it is backwards from most antennas if that makes sense. Even though my head unit is immaculate and I have the 6inch sub I think I am just going to gut this thing and start over. Most of the threads are outdated and the speakers are discontinued. After I dug around and found a pyle dual voice coil 6.5 that I shoe horned in and it still sounds terrible at speed I am going to just bite the bullet. The 150.00 Antennae base was just kind of killing my drive to change anything yet.
    I do understand backwards but it has to be that way to use the existing wire in the trunk. This adapter was plug and play for me. Took me 30 seconds tops to connect. I wanted to keep my factory head unit but did not want to pay $130 for an antenna base that nobody sees and could break again. Id recommend it for people that don't want to pay $130. $10 is a small risk.

My Cars
    Z3M, Supercharged Miata
    You missed my point and we are both in agreement. I have installed car audio for 30 something years and when I looked at the antennae amplifier back there, my first thought was I was going need some backwards ass plug to connect it to a normal antennae. You saved me from the long drawn out search for that little delightful devil. Car companies love to reinvent the wheel so to speak and drive us aftermarket guys nuts sometimes.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    You missed my point and we are both in agreement. I have installed car audio for 30 something years and when I looked at the antennae amplifier back there, my first thought was I was going need some backwards ass plug to connect it to a normal antennae. You saved me from the long drawn out search for that little delightful devil. Car companies love to reinvent the wheel so to speak and drive us aftermarket guys nuts sometimes.
    Glad my experience helped save you some time!

My Cars
    Z3M, Supercharged Miata
    After reception coming in and out a lot over the last couple of days I bit the bullet and bought a factory one. That and I am trying to give the factory radio and amps a fair shot at remaining in the car. I could not tell how bad the speakers were with the reception coming and going.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    After reception coming in and out a lot over the last couple of days I bit the bullet and bought a factory one. That and I am trying to give the factory radio and amps a fair shot at remaining in the car. I could not tell how bad the speakers were with the reception coming and going.
    I'm a bit surprised but I'm sure you will be happy with it. OEM is a great way to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12