Thread: Change an old gear shift knob having a new one

My Cars
    2004 BMW Compact

Change an old gear shift knob having a new one

Hi, great to find this forum on the web. First of all, I´m from Madrid, please excuse me if I make any mistake writting in English!

I had some problems when I wanted to change my gear shift knob. I´ve seen lots of tutorials on Youtube, and all of them shows that youé got topull and pull until the knob comes out. But I think that it´s not that "easy". I´ve got a 2004 Compact, and maybe they´re different from other e46. I should have taken some photos, but under the knob...wait I´ll post an image to explain myself better:

It´s an automatic gear shift but I just want to point at the part "B" (maybe "C"?). That kind of steel bar has two holes, one on the front and one at the back -cirlce shaped-, covered by grey stickers. When you remove the stikers you can see a gum part inside. I don´t Know if you´ve got to push it to make it come out from one hole to another or if it has nothing to do with all of this. Anyone has seen that holes that I´m talking about?
    I´ve tried pulling with both hands and the only thing I was thinking is that I was going to brake all the gear shift mechanism.
    This is one of the tutorials. Is another e46 type:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goMdv-LvmzA

It´s not that easy.

Please, any one has any advice or any idea for this? My old shift knob is nearly changing the color and I need the new one!
    Thanks, wait for your answers!
    Last edited by Feelnice; 11-01-2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling

My Cars
    1988 325-1999 328
    Take an open wrench like a 22 mm put it under the collar of the shift knob then an inch back under the wrench put a support under it,like screw driver or an other wrench as a pivot point and walla it comes loose.