Thread: Stripped Oil Pan Threads - Anyone used Eco Plug?

My Cars
    Z3M, E39 M5

Stripped Oil Pan Threads - Anyone used Eco Plug?

As the title states, I have some stripped threads on my E39 M5 oil pan. I've been getting some outrageous quotes to replace the pan, gasket, and oil level sensor gasket at local shops. The pan itself is around 350. I've also considered having a shop drill it out and re-tap to a larger size (potentially using a helicoil), but the ones I've called are hesitant to do this. I then stumbled on this product: http://www.ecoplugsystem.com

It's basically a tapered bolt with some epoxy that goes on the threads and hardens to create a seal. Then there is just a magnetic plug with rubber seal on the bolt head for draining the oil.

Has anyone used this product before or heard anything about it? I haven't been able to find anything on it on various forums so I'm a little skeptical. Of course, it seems great based on the video, but I'd appreciate any input here. I'm leaning towards giving it a shot (what the hell, its only 15 bucks) and if it starts leaking again just changing the pan myself.

My Cars
    518 E34 and W124
    Hi I think you posted in the wrong forum that is why you did not get any response. Probably the admins should repost in E39 forums. Did you buy the plug? Did it stop the drain?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    You need this and a mechanic who isn't looking to fleece you.
    https://www.amazon.com/Heli-Coil-554.../dp/B000CMHVLM
    the item you mention is Mickey Mouse crap
    Last edited by ross1; 12-13-2016 at 10:47 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryreggea View Post
    Hi I think you posted in the wrong forum that is why you did not get any response. Probably the admins should repost in E39 forums. Did you buy the plug? Did it stop the drain?
    Stripped oil pans are not an E39 specific problem nor will the solution be model specific.

A helicoil is a fine solution, I imagine nobody responded because nobody had experience with the part that OP linked to.

My Cars
    2000 528, 2015 X5
    A cheaper solution than a new pan might require some down time on your 5. A good welding shop can add material around the thread area and then a machine shop can re-drill it and re-tap it.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    On my 540, there was a smaller pan that had the drain plug and it was held on by 20-30 screws. Get a used pan, new gasket, 1/2 of your time and a bottle of beer. I would imagine s62 would have the same set up. There is a user Clemster on m5board.com that parts out m5s.

My Cars
    99 M3 Euro, 09 Fit
    If you want the job done right by a shop with a warranty you can't be cheap. If you get a cheap quote then what makes you sure the job will be a quality one?
    If you want to save money do it yourself with the right parts. If you don't have the technical know-how pay a professional to do it.
    You don't go around price shopping doctors when your arm gets severed and needs to be reattached ...
    "Yea doc look, I know I'm bleeding and about to pass out but this price you're gonna charge is a tad too high, the doc down the road said he can do it for $300 less I will go there..."

You drive an M5, any jobs associated with it are going to be more expensive.
    99 Techno S50B32 6-speed ///M3 (Complete)
    Mods: SOLD