Thread: E34 Memory Seats in Non-Memory Car

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R

E34 Memory Seats in Non-Memory Car

Hey guys, it's time I figure out how to make my seats move. I got some black power/memory comfort seats from someone a while back and I will be replacing my silver grey seats with these.

My '94 Touring did not come with memory -- the memory function isn't a necessity, I just want the power and heat if possible. I've done quite a bit of reading but nothing that seems to quite align with what I've got. I don't know what year or model vehicle these seats came out of, and they could be E32 seats for all I know, I suppose?

THIS THREAD looks similar to what I'm working with, but none of the plugs on the seat match my body harness.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Maybe this thread will help.

HERE
    1991 E34 535i Artic Gray

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    If both seats are comfort, and your old one does not have memory, you can swap the entire seat harness and control switches into the memory seat. No need to change the motors, the memory motors just have an encoder on the end that you'll leave disconnected. The actual motor is the same. That will be far easier than finding the right intermediate memory harness and getting it to work in your car.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    If both seats are comfort, and your old one does not have memory, you can swap the entire seat harness and control switches into the memory seat. No need to change the motors, the memory motors just have an encoder on the end that you'll leave disconnected. The actual motor is the same. That will be far easier than finding the right intermediate memory harness and getting it to work in your car.
    This^
    Finding the intermediate harness might not be hard but removing and re-installing it is a yeoman's effort. Changing the seat harness is child's play by comparison.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    Awesome thanks for the replies. I haven't actually looked under my other seat really. Is the harness removal basically just unplugging everything and free it from any retaining clips? Maybe I'll give it a shot after work tonight.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by wmrcs View Post
    Awesome thanks for the replies. I haven't actually looked under my other seat really. Is the harness removal basically just unplugging everything and free it from any retaining clips? Maybe I'll give it a shot after work tonight.
    Pretty much, but you'll want to remove the seat and flip it over before proceeding. There's a lot of zip ties in tight places. Some of the harness goes up into the back, I don't remember if it has connectors or you need to remove the back cover and snake it through. Sometimes there's a secondary harness for the heat or lumbar if equipped. Don't forget the control switches, they are not the same for memory and non.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    With the the help of the ETM I'm sure you can splice in to the appropriate wires on the seat to get everything working including memory. It wasn't difficult wiring up some e32 memory seats into my e23.
    demet

My Cars
    E34 540i f30 318d msport
    Hi @Demetk do you still have the photos you posted of your seat swap into the e23? Im struggling to fit 1992 m5 memory seats into my 1995 540i with manual seats. These cars are so rare these days i dont think i would find a wiring loom. Thanks in advance, Dan

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    Try this:
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/798596/

That's what I used for my e32 seats in my e23.