Thread: Is my valve cover warped?

My Cars
    330i

Is my valve cover warped?

See pictures.

I replaced my valve cover gasket twice in one month, first was cheap part from rock auto. Assuming this is the issue I replaced with auto zone part. Now it is leaking in one place at the back of the engine on the passenger side.
    Could my valve cover be warped (no visible cracks)? I will replace with oem parts this time but to me it appears warped or improperly seated. Opinions please..

I am on iPhone please excuse links

https://imgur.com/a/ga6Wt

http://i.imgur.com/tMF3yPZ.jpg
    Last edited by rlpcam; 10-30-2016 at 10:08 AM.

My Cars
    04 ZHP, 83 320i, 00 M5
    I think you should post the pictures in the thread because the iPhone doesn't easily copy the url.

The part you are taking pictures of is only a plastic covering. Take it off to look at the valve cover

My Cars
    330i
    See the gap between the plastic cover and the engine. You can see the gasket appears loose with a poor seal. This is a new gasket.

My Cars
    330i
    My original post seems to have been deleted somehow. These are the pics. See the gap between the valve cover and the engine. Is this normal?

https://imgur.com/a/ga6Wt

It is leaking now from the back of the engine closest to the passenger. I have replaced the gasket twice this month and it has improved but continues to leak a bit.
    Last edited by rlpcam; 10-30-2016 at 10:13 AM.

My Cars
    04 ZHP, 83 320i, 00 M5
    Strange... Bimmerforums is having issues as I have noticed other threads with deleted 1st posts.

Which brand gasket? Can you take off the plastic cover and post pictures?

My Cars
    330i
    It isn't autozone brand. He said it was a quality piece but I'm finding out that isn't true. First time I changed it was a Chinese part from rock auto and it leaked in 3 places. With the new part only leaks in one spot. I noticed the rubber is much softer on the new piece but I figured oem is the only way to go from here on. I do have pics. I will post later today.

I noticed there is a dark residue under the cover which would indicate some extreme heat in that area. I'm hoping my thermostat is working properly and it didn't cause any over heating.
    Last edited by rlpcam; 10-30-2016 at 12:22 PM.

My Cars
    04 ZHP, 83 320i, 00 M5
    You are learning going cheap costs more on BMWs.

My Cars
    1981 633csi
    get the parts from Bav Auto,

My Cars
    330i
    Quote Originally Posted by rlpcam View Post
    It isn't autozone brand. He said it was a quality piece but I'm finding out that isn't true. First time I changed it was a Chinese part from rock auto and it leaked in 3 places. With the new part only leaks in one spot. I noticed the rubber is much softer on the new piece but I figured oem is the only way to go from here on. I do have pics. I will post later today.

I noticed there is a dark residue under the cover which would indicate some extreme heat in that area. I'm hoping my thermostat is working properly and it didn't cause any over heating.
    You are absolutely right. Since my last post I have replaced the gasket with original BMW part and hosed off the engine and surrounding parts to remove any old oil. I still notice a slight burning oil smell coming from the exhaust pipe below the engine. I'm hoping this is just sold old oil that I missed while cleaning the engine but I will report back if I have any more issues. Thanks!

Also I want to note that the "warping" I noticed with the aftermarket parts was gone after I replaced with OEM gasket. There is still a small gap between the engine and the valve cover but it is much less noticeable that before.

My Cars
    330i
    UPDATE!

So after three or four days with the OEM valve cover gasket, I noticed the burning oil smell again thru the vents. I notice oil leaking from the passenger side of the engine towards the back. What could my problem be? It's a brand new gasket. Could a bad CCV cause this? Or a vacuum leak somewhere cause this pressure to build in my engine?

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    The cover is probably cracked at the rear corner bolt hole by the exhaust. With the cover off you have to look very closely to see the crack, this is very common especially when the cover has been over torqued.

Mark.

My Cars
    330i
    Replaced CCV no change. Valve cover gasket was indeed cracked. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk