Thread: e36 SBC Build

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

e36 SBC Build

I will start by saying this was started because the parts were extra from other projects and I wanted to gain experience doing an engine swap. Ideally I would of liked to go with an ls and t56 into an M3, but my finances and skills aren't to that point yet.

The donor car is a 1994 BMW 318is that had a blown head gasket.
    Pulled the m42 and auto trans and sold them
    Pulled the diff and cv axles and swapped them with ones from a 328i I had. 3.91 gear ratio
    I cleaned the engine bay and rack
    Shaved allot of not needed items from the engine bay to help with weight
    I had an extra car I was parting that had really nice tan interior, so I swapped that in

The goal is to make it look as stock as possible, but have the v8 drivetrain

The engine is from a 94 Caprice classic
    350 TBI 700r4 transmission
    I sold the serpentine setup from the front of the motor and the TBI. Picked up an intake that will bolt to the heads and run a carb.
    I have a 350 that will supply the distributor and front accessories from a pickup.
    The engine and trans was very strong before I pulled it from the car.

I have kind of mocked up the engine and trans in the car for now. I haven't had a chance to work on it in a long time. The driver's side exhaust manifold is going to be interesting. I'm considering removing abs for some more clearance. I also did some research that the steering shaft from an e46 is a little smaller. Is it worth it to change that out? Hopefully running shorty headers that I may need to cut the collector off and move to the bottom of the car. Trying something I haven't seen before with the engine mount. I bought an engine plate and plan on mounting it to the frame rails. Hard to describe in words, but I want it to be able to remove, so it's not going to be welded in. I'm also hoping this will help make the exhaust not so complicated to run. Going to be running a power wire to the starter, distributor, and alternator. Debating about deleting ps and just looping the system. I'm wanting to try to implement the stock auto shifter somehow or may just buy a B&M shifter. Custom one piece driveshaft will hopefully be made.

8 years ago I owned a 318is with a 327/700r4 in it and it was allot of fun. I didn't build it, just drove it and cleaned up the interior and exterior. Sadly I didn't take many pictures of it, so I'm learning how to do the swap myself. I have several engines I can use instead of the TBI platform. I have a 350 from a suburban and one from a blazer that was a crate motor. I plan on running a fuel pressure regulator, but does anyone know if i'll need a bigger bump in the tank?

I'll add some pictures soon.

If you follow this thread, it will take me a while to finish it. Sadly I'm also working on building two trucks and my m3.
    I just want this car to be fun and able to make people scratch their heads like the last one I owned

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

My Cars
    328is 318is
    Man all I gotta to say it I'm totally into the sbc and making people say " wtf " I'm barely starting the same swap, 328is with a 350 sbc from a blazer. This is the perfect post for me to be following, what things exactly did you shave off? and what problems have you come across test fitting the engine? I'm still in the process of getting all my parts together and gathering a lot of more info. any updates on the swap?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I just shaved the cruise control brackets and the place the washer fluid sat in. I also scrapped all the body seem glue stuff off to make it look a little more flush. I need to paint the engine bay, but that will happen once everything is in place.

I haven't worked on this car lately, but I'm hoping to get back on it soon because I just helped a friend finish his ls swapped m3 and I'm craving v8 power again!!

The hardest thing is going to be the exhaust and engine mounts. I plan on using a front engine plate like they do in race cars to mount the engine. Still trying to design how I want it to connect to the frame rails and be able to come off so I can pull the engine if needed. I have block hugger headers and the collector flange is in a horrible place by the front crossmember. I saw someone's build where the cut the collector off and added some pipe and then welded it back on. Probably have to do something like that. Transmission mount shouldn't be hard. Driveshaft isn't hard at all. Take it to a local driveshaft shop and have them put the GM on the front of the BMW driveshaft and cut it to length and balance it. My friends for his ls swap was $150. Wiring is super simple since it just needs power to the distributor, alternator, and starter.

I know most everyone says go LS and I agree LS is more power and dependable etc, but I truly believe it's more expensive when you are all said and done. We shall see though because every engine swap project nickels and dimes you

I'll try to update with the mock up of the engine plate tonight

My Cars
    '92 BMW 735i(W/383 GM)
    I have a SBC in my '92 7 series, finished it 10 yrs ago. You nailed it, the headers will be the witch. Making the tach function will be a chore if it is like mine(toothed pattern cast into the harmonic balancer) The words "inexpensive" and engine swap don't really go together. Good luck with the project.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Do you have any pictures of how the exhaust/headers were run on your car? Be cool to see even though it's a different chassis

My Cars
    95 325
    Years ago, I test fitted a small-block into the E36 and could use the rams horn manifolds.

I believe the steering shaft had to be relocated slightly, as shown on our web page for the LSx E36 swap.

See this link:
    http://jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_B..._firewall.html

I stopped working on it due to back surgery, but I always thought the small-block with a T5 transmission would be a good, low cost swap.

Also, the headers we offer for the 280 ZX V8 swap could also be used, but the flange for the exhaust outlet had to be removed, and a short
    neck welded to the outlet would lower the flange past the steering shaft.

Header:
    engne-mnt-installed-1648.jpg

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I've drawn allot of inspiration from that site. I had a sbc swapped e36 when I was younger but bought it that way so didn't think to take allot of pictures. It ran stock exhaust manifolds but can't remember from what. still had abs. hand made motor mounts that I hated. no clue on the trans mount. I'll upload the pictures I did take. cleared with a small breather even though I took it off when I took the pics

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I'm sorry for anyone expecting updates from this build.

I ended up selling the drivetrain and abandoning the project. The shell will be for sale shortly

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Bummer...one lives and another dies. Good luck on the sale.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    Bummer...one lives and another dies. Good luck on the sale.
    Thank you!

I really wanted to build it, but I have about 5 other projects going all at once so it was time for someone to be able to get some use out of some of the parts then just have them sit and wait. I'll get another one and do it.

Hopefully a 5 speed next time from the get go