Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Prep for a Cross Country Journey - McLaren MP4 Spider - Oakes Detail

My Cars
    06 S4, 11 M3 ZCP. 16 A3

Prep for a Cross Country Journey - McLaren MP4 Spider - Oakes Detail

This exciting project was brought to me all the way from Washington DC, so that I could properly paint correct, clear wrap, ceramic coat and make some cosmetic upgrades to this Mclaren MP4-12C Spider. This stunning color combo was getting ready for a cross country journey that would end up spanning over 2 months with the owner and over 12k miles after leaving me. I’m here to show you guys the visual transformation it received before being enjoyed by it’s new owner to the fullest! What better way to enjoy your new to you exotic?

This Spider came in with just three thousand miles on it, and while it wasn’t in rough shape, it could be taken up a few notches. Even better so, now benefitting from the added protection it received before going on it’s long trip. I’ll let the pictures take the story from here…

Mclaren Oakes Detail 1
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 2

The brakes were standard black, which the owner felt was too plain on such an awesome color combination. So he decided to have us match them to McLaren Orange. We completely degreased, sanded down and etched the calipers then painted them using high heat enamel based primer and base coat, airbrushed the logos and then finished them with a high heat enamel clear. Giving them a completely OEM look! We choose not to go the powdercoat route to avoid having to rebuild the calipers and full brake system service, given the cars plans to go cross country.

Mclaren Oakes Detail 3
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 4

While the brakes were being done, the wheels were removed to be completely DeIronized, clayed, polished and then ceramic coated using CQuartz . Below you will see the before and after results!

Mclaren Oakes Detail 6
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 7
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 8
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 9
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/NqCsVG] Mclaren Oakes Detail 11
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 12 11.
    With the wheels and brakes curing, next was preparing the paint to be both clear wrapped and ceramic coated. The paint condition, while wasn’t dire, still needed a full correction to qualify for the desired protection install. The following shows the before condition under powerful LEDs that mimic direct sunlight, then the 50/50 photos and finished non coated paint in the same lighting after the half and half shots.

Mclaren Oakes Detail 13
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 14
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 15
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 16
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 17
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 18
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 19
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 20
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 21
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 22
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 23
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 27
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 28 Mclaren Oakes Detail 29 25.

And with a little bonus of the 50/50 shot on the Key itself

Mclaren Oakes Detail 24

With the paint prepared properly prepared, the clear film install was able to commence. This was a completely custom install to remove all seams and wrap all edges to make it as invisible as possible. Here you can see the initial install and the films appearance after initial install.

Mclaren Oakes Detail 31 Mclaren Oakes Detail 30
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 32
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 33

Post film install and reprep, the entire body was then coated with CQuartz Finest Ceramic coating in three layers. All painted and clear wrapped surfaces received the coating and was IR cured as shown in the photo below!

Mclaren Oakes Detail 33(1)

Now for the finished result, showing the true gloss and depth that this color has to offer. Starting off with some reflection and full vehicle profile shots inside under fluorescent and LED lighting. Then shown outside under the true test, sunlight!

Mclaren Oakes Detail 34
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 35
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 36
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 37
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 38
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 39
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 41
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 42
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 43
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 48 Mclaren Oakes Detail 45
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 46
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 49(1)
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 50
    Mclaren Oakes Detail 51

What better way to end the write up, than with a wave good bye as this MP4 was loaded on to my custom built trailer that is tailored to low, wide exotics to transport it back to Washington DC? After this photo, the car went on to tour the entire US and cover over 12k miles in just two months...if only all exotics were enjoyed the same!

Mclaren Oakes Detail 52

As always, thanks for checking it out. Hope you enjoyed the transformation! There are plenty more exciting threads coming!
    -Oakes

My Cars
    //M5s, 4.8iS , Z32TT
    Beautiful works as always!

2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) --------------- 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's) -------------- 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E39 M5, 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32 TwinTurbo

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Stunning, just stunning. Oakes, you have the best job in the world!

edit: I meant to ask about the black planks under the tires. Are they to elevate the car a bit to make it more efficient to do the tires and to keep the floor tidy when applying the dressing? Good idea.
    Last edited by JohnZ3MC; 11-07-2016 at 12:52 PM.

My Cars
    06 S4, 11 M3 ZCP. 16 A3
    They are to elevate the car to clear the midrise scissor lift that is underneath. It does also help with applying dressing to the tires too.

My Cars
    Pending F30
    What does one spend on a detail job this involved? I can imagine it is very high dollar!

My Cars
    '11 328, '11 M3, '16 X5
    Awesome as usual Nick. I have a 2017 M2 on order, and I am bringing it to you as soon as i get it.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Very impressive.

My Cars
    06 S4, 11 M3 ZCP. 16 A3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rscaffidi View Post
    Awesome as usual Nick. I have a 2017 M2 on order, and I am bringing it to you as soon as i get it.
    Thanks Rob! And congrats! Are you replacing the M3?

My Cars
    '11 328, '11 M3, '16 X5
    Nope. Keeping the M3. Replacing my 2011 328i with the M2, but now I need to figure out how to keep it covered and out of the elements. I was going to ask if you had any space for me to store the M3 for the winter as the M2 will be my DD. That way I can garage it during the winter and until I bike a carport or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, build that is

My Cars
    06 S4, 11 M3 ZCP. 16 A3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rscaffidi View Post
    Nope. Keeping the M3. Replacing my 2011 328i with the M2, but now I need to figure out how to keep it covered and out of the elements. I was going to ask if you had any space for me to store the M3 for the winter as the M2 will be my DD. That way I can garage it during the winter and until I bike a carport or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, build that is
    Always space for you! We just had a lift spot open up due to a car selling while being stored here. Havent filled it yet, due to the holiday but can keep it open for you. I'll post a picture of the new set up, a little different since you last visited!

Shop Lifts.jpg

My Cars
    '11 328, '11 M3, '16 X5
    Nick,

That would be great. My M2 is in production now, so I am estimating that I will have it by the new year. My plan would be to bring it up first and give it the works to protect it from the elements as much as possible. Then, when the M2 is done, I will bring up the M3 for detailing and storage, or storage and detailing, whichever you prefer. I would store the M3 until the spring or such a time as i would at least be able to construct a carport or parking structure for the M2. Just let me know how much to store the M3, and I am in as long as you don't mind waiting a little while with an open spot.

Rob

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    Superb as always! Really appreciate the effort it takes to do the job as well as you do. Wish I knew more tricks of the trade. Do you take 54 yr old interns?
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    ñangara GT
    may I ask which mid-rise are you using?