Thread: Looking for someone in Boston area to let me try their MKIII or MKIV

My Cars
    2001 530i

Looking for someone in Boston area to let me try their MKIII or MKIV

I posted this to the E39 forum and someone suggested that I find someone in my area who would let me try their MKIII or MKIV to see if the issue is actually the computer. I know this is asking a lot but what would be great is if we could meet up, I would pull my MKIII out and we could then pop in your working MKIII or MKIV to see if it brings any life to my screen. This way I can confirm this is the issue prior to purchasing a new MK unit.

Please let me know if anyone would be interested in helping me out. I live in Dedham, MA and an willing to travel within the Boston metro area. Thanks for your consideration.

POST BELOW FROM E39 FORUM DETAILING ISSUE I AM HAVING

My car currently has the 16:9
    in dash screen with the MKIII. The issue I am having is that the screen is blank (black). There is a backlight, but nothing is displayed. I will occasionally get some "static" on the screen when I unlock the car and enter, but outside of that, nothing. The radio works fine and does NOT shut off after a few minutes like some other folks who have had a similar issue. I have read many MANY posts on this forum, and others, concerning the issue I am experiencing, and have tried:

- Pulling the corresponding fuse, letting the car sit, putting the fuse back in.
    - Disconnecting the battery, letting the car sit, reconnecting the battery.
    - Attempting to re-install the navigation software (v23), blindly of course as I cannot see the screen.
    - Checking the connections to the MKIII and in-dash unit.

No dice on any of this. One item of note is that the Power LED on the MKIII never lights up. The unit has power, as it will take a disk, spin the disk, and I even hear the laser moving, but the LED never comes on and the CD gets spit out after a few minutes. This is with both the upgrade CD and the navigation CD. The previous owner told me that the car had been garaged for some time and when he went to run it after a few months the screen was now dead. I asked if he jumped it and he said no.
    Last edited by DTOM1982; 10-27-2016 at 02:05 PM.