Thread: E85 - covertible stuck on latch when closing

My Cars
    E85 Z4

Unhappy E85 - covertible stuck on latch when closing

My top goes down perfectly fine. But when I want to put it back up, it appears to be getting stuck on the center latches behind the rear of the seat. The electric motor works fine. I can use my finger to help lift up the convertible top to get it going. You hear a "popping" sound when it finally releases. Then the top continues to travel all the way up back into the windshield and secures itself under its own power.

I added a ton of grease into and around both the rear seat center latch and a latch that the convertible top also has in the center. They are supposed to meet together. The grease helped A LOT and the unit is now able to move under it's own power, but it still "sticks" and makes an audible pop as the mechanisms releases to allow the top to travel. Because of this, I am 99% fairly certain that the issue lays with the area pictured in my screenshot.

Looking closer at where the two latches connect (attached screenshot), I assume that the latch on the convertible top part is somehow possibly off center. Meaning the entire convertible top is off center.

I raised the top about halfway and there is a ton of slack on the convertible top. You can grab it, shake it, sway it, and wiggle it. Lot of play. But when fully closed or open there is no play.

How do I align the convertible tops latch to the back of the seat latch? Not even sure of this would resolved the issue. The picture reflects both latches just about to close completely (to go into convertible mode). It does secure itself further down if I continue holding down the button to put the top down. I just stopped it in this position for reference. Seems that the convertible latch portion is more toward the right.

I'm thinking about "jamming" a doorstop in somewhere into the body to possibly push the entire top a few millimeters more toward the left.

Anyone know alternate ways to align the center latches or what to look at?

I also looked at the microswitch, parcel shelf, and the release strings and they appear to be positioned perfectly normal.

I am experiencing no slowdowns with the movement once it retracts from the windshield. Also no problems after I get it "unstuck" when closing the top.

Finally I tried wiggling the convertible top's latch (second picture) where the four screws are, and it has no play. Very secure.

Really appreciate the help guys! - BMW wasn't interested in what I had to say and said $2700 to do the job including replacing both motors.

PS - please excuse the scotch tape. The teeth to the cover of the electric motor are missing and I just use tape to stop the rattle lol.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Does it do it every time? This happens to me on occasion, maybe once every 6 raises.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    E85 Z4
    It was getting caught up every time. WD40 didn't do anything. But an actual "jelly" grease appears to have done the trick.

I noticed there is like a "button" you can press inward located in the middle area of the latch on the convertible top.
    I pushed it in with my finger and used a toothpick to rub the compound in all the newly exposed areas and crevices.

Perhaps the button was just getting stuck and not able to slide up/down when being actuated.
    Not sure what the purpose of the that button is, but I didn't want to take apart that entire latch in fear of springs popping out.
    And it was finger numbing cold to even attempt to do so.

So grease up both latches nicely, then press the button inwards on the convertible top latch, and grease up it's crevices.
    Push the button inwards (it will come back automatically) a few times to let some grease settle into the path that the button takes.
    Apply more grease to the button area crevices and repeat.

I tried the top 3 times yesterday and it worked without any issues. Also the popping sound became extremely light. Way better than the first day.
    I will try it a few times today again as this weekend car has become my daily because fun!

Update: 35 degrees outside. Tested the issue as I parked at work. Everything is still working smoothly.
    Thank the gods that keep us safe while driving in the cold months!
    Last edited by FusionX86; 10-28-2016 at 07:08 AM.

My Cars
    E85 Z4
    Update:

This makes no sense. It completely started doing the same thing again...

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I press the center latch to release top, then press button on console to raise top.

My Cars
    2005 bmw z4
    i was wondering if you ever figured out your "latch" problem. i am having the exact issue. i barely have to push backward on my top to unhook it from the latch. i was gonna buy a new latch but it looks fine and dont want to waste money. thanks for your help

- - - Updated - - -

did you ever figure out the problem. i am having exact same problem thanks

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    The 2 big front soft top motor-operated latches that latch to the windshield that OP was referring to when he mentioned the lubrication are not where the problem is. The stowage lock collision with the x-hooks is what causes this 'getting stuck on the center latches behind the rear of the seat' problem .

1-Adjust the stowage lock to prevent collision with the x-hooks. Alternatively the stowage lock can be completely uninstalled as it has been discontinued by BMW.
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ft-top/2pY0X3C
    stowage aa.jpg4.JPG
    Images above show stowage lock with areas of Collison with x-hooks circled in red

2-If the collision/friction of the soft top during folding/unfolding (soft top catches) or while stationary (squeeqing in stowed position) still occurs, the x-hooks should be removed from the soft top:
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ft-top/30CZvkx

5.JPG7.JPG8.JPG

Images above show x-hooks location and removal process!

More details can be found in this thread (post ~150 )
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...of-issue/page7
    Last edited by tekoo; 11-19-2018 at 10:28 AM.