Thread: e39 530da (GM 5L40E) transmission fail.

My Cars
    bmw 530da -99

e39 530da (GM 5L40E) transmission fail.

Hi guys,

I have been talking in different sites about the problem but just to make sure I will do the right thing I will ask your opinion too..

First the situtation:

Its 1999 GM automatic 5 grea transmission which is failing. All started while driving some time ago. I did get the fail safe mode. I cleared error code: (inpa) gear check 2 (3->2) with code 52. and things worked fine. After days I got in to workshop to do some repair and the guy wasnt able to drive my car into garage (light uphill). Tried few times and got it inside. After that nothing weird. Well, things got from bad to worse. I didnt have any weird and rough gear changes. Like they say it might be rough when torque conventer will fail. From gear to up and down, changes were smooth and great. Now only reverse works fine. Other won´t make any difference so car won´t move. I still not have any errors. I did check with inpa today. I did change the oil and filter AFTER this problem came up. It worked like 20 kilometers and stuff got back to as it is now. Car wont move. Only reverse is working at is working just fine. I did check oil levels many times using inpa to get right temperature of transmission.

So, should I just go and have a new, i mean used, transmission and torque converter? When I changed the oils there were not any metal stuff as they said u should find if there is mechanical problem. I mean not much. Maybe like one or two (few) flakes of metal. Oil were shit, like u might understand. 340tkm behind. Can there be anything I can do or should try before buying a new transmssion? Also, I did find weird noise before all this. It was weird sound while reversing even a bit faster or just speeding kick down. It was like there is hole in my exhauste pipe. Its a bit difficult explane but not normal sound at all. Can this indicate anything else?

First, Should I have a failsade and error code if my gears would slip? I dont know the words in eglish i mean, but you might understand. So that is not the case. I should have fine oil level because reverse is working? Arent I? I had to drive my car back to home like 2 kilometers with reverse so I know it works. There is not any visible oil leaks.

So guys, what you recommended to do?

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    No expert at all on transmissions, but isn't that transmission pretty exclusive to diesel models? This is a very US centric site, not sure how many people are too familiar with not US transmissions. I could be completely wrong as well and half of our cars have the gm, but I think all of our I6as have the ZF

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    bmw 530da -99
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtonBH View Post
    No expert at all on transmissions, but isn't that transmission pretty exclusive to diesel models? This is a very US centric site, not sure how many people are too familiar with not US transmissions. I could be completely wrong as well and half of our cars have the gm, but I think all of our I6as have the ZF

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    No worries and yes, I believe here in Europe we are more used to this failed transmission and its failures. But its also in many cars over there like Cadillacs, Pontiacs, Holdens and Saturns. Not sure how common it is and if in this forum are people who a familiar with this transmission type. Only because this is a pretty expencive repair comparing value of car I just wanted to ask and find some answers to my problems. So, if here is anyone, please let me know your opinions.

Thanks!

My Cars
    the shinny one
    replace it with a salvage yard unit or rebuild it..

here is a compatibility chart