Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ownership Log: 1993 Avus Blue Over Grey Sport Cloth S38B38 M5

My Cars
    E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3

Wink

Time for a long overdue update. I'm working with no budget after the acquisition of my 325iX, so the majority of my project list for this car has been on hold out of necessity; taking on an ambitious E28 520i project car hasn't left me with much free time, either.

Up until recently I've been slowing collecting some of the parts this car needs to bring it to an even more presentable level cosmetically. Some of the plastic in the engine bay is cracked, for example, and I've finally been able to source replacements for all of it. One of the areas in need of attention is the positive battery post, which I'm not looking forward to changing out. I'm elated that I was able to source a genuine like new N.L.A. harness cover to replace my cracked one; I can also confirm that the still available 540i part does in fact work perfectly if you cut the plastic to match the M5 profile.

I'm seriously contemplating removing the strut tower brace that came with the car which has caused crush damage to the hood liner. I'd love to replace the hood liner, but that is a $300 proposition I just can't justify at the moment. I found pairs of proper period small and large strut tower caps, so when the strut tower brace is finally gone I can return it fully back to stock. The plan is to research the value of the brace to determine if it can be sold to fund the majority of the hood liner replacement. It's a rare period correct piece in excellent condition.

The Japanese H.I.D. lighting (which I can't stand due to how poor the light it outputs is for visibility) started acting up, which was motivating me to replace the headlight assemblies with stock units until the A.B.S. system started acting up as well. That pointed to a voltage issue, which was confirmed when the onboard computer was unlocked and set to read the voltage at the battery. Turns out the voltage regulator is shot, which has left the car immobile until I can get it repaired.

Once the voltage regular is repaired, the car will get new belts, spark plugs, and a valve adjustment. I'd also love to track down a weird issue with the car that occurs about a minute after it's started and last for about as long, where the exhaust note drops dramatically and the car feels down on power. I'm pretty sure it's related to the emissions control system, but I have more reading to do before I have a grasp of even where to start looking.

I've learned just how rare the fabric in my interior is in this excellent condition, so I've been keeping it covered to prevent staining from clothing. The Amaretta bolsters have developed odd light creases in them from the fabric tugging on them when I'm sitting in the seat. I plan to try carefully steaming those out with a hand steamer and distilled water.

Finally, I've been thoroughly enjoying owning this car, to the point where it's easily become a close second after my E36 M3. I know now from experience that not all E34 M5s were created equal, but my car is unquestionably one of the good ones, and it's staying with me for as long as I can hang onto it.
    Last edited by Shock(/\)ave; 11-16-2017 at 03:25 AM.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Woot! Good to read.

I've never heard of the voltage regulator going on these cars, interesting! Is that repairable separate from the alternator?

They are common culprits on the 911 model range I used to own, and sure enough I had to replace one. It was attached to the alternator, under the fan shroud; worst access for an automotive job I've tackled, all with 6, 7, and 8mm bolts. Hoping and expecting the E34 job will be much easier.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Woot! Good to read.
    Speaking of a good read, I'd love an update on your cars all in one place when you get a few minutes to spare. I think you've been as busy as I have.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    I've never heard of the voltage regulator going on these cars, interesting! Is that repairable separate from the alternator?
    It was confirmed by the falling voltage at the battery while the car was running. The alternator should be providing steady voltage, but isn't. I'm stuck at the moment trying to get the air filter box out of the car without breaking something. I'd really appreciate if you (or anyone else reading this) could tell me how to remove this connector:

When I removed the airbox I noticed the fragile thin wire screen was dinged in several places. I carefully threaded a length of thin wire through it and pulled out the dented screen wires until I was happy with the result:

It's a bit concave in shape overall, but I didn't want to keep bending the thin screen material as it will eventually break.

The offending part:

My Cars
    94 M5T
    That connector, i think is for the auto recirc. The metal bracket slides away from the airbox. (toward the left, the way it's pictured). It will disengage as the metal connector slides away.
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12