Thread: New 2005 330Ci E46 owner! Would like some input on questions?

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe

Red face New 2005 330Ci E46 owner! Would like some input on questions?

Hello everybody! Super excited to announce my first BMW! I've ALWAYS wanted an E46 M3 since high school and I got my hands on the next most affordable E46, a beautiful low mileage 330Ci! It currently has 73K miles and I bought it from a Dealership in Los Angeles County! I drove it home with no problems and now it currently resides in my driveway in Fresno CA Now I've done my research and I know most common problems and maintenance that has to be done and I'm going to be doing it very soon, but I want an opinion from people who have used BOTH Castrol Edge Full Synthetic and Liquimoly. Now obviously this is a very touchy and biased subject so I was just wondering what experience any of you have had with both oils and your opinions regarding both those oils for BMW. I've heard many good things about BOTH and I know this is a SUPER biased subject, but I really want to hear more about Liquimoly as I hear good things about how the oil runs in BMW engines. My go to is always Castrol Full synthetic but what do people who have experimented with Liquimoly products have to say about them?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Congrats on the new car man! The E46 M3, esp with the competition rims, has been a favorite of mine for a while. I own a 135i and used both Castrol and Mobil 1 and feel that both are equally superior. The Liquimoly is more of a niche oil; I know a Mini user that stands by it bar none. Sorry for the ambiguity, but I'm sure someone here will give you more specifics.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    04 ZHP, 83 320i, 00 M5
    There is only one good brand of oil.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    There has never been a single engine in the history of cars that blew up the engine b/c of the wrong brand of oil. NOT ONE. Think about that for a bit.
    The best oil is the new one in the bottle vs. the old used one in the engine.

Good move on the 330i, it's all the car you ever need for street use.

My Cars
    02/95 BMW 325is
    Pics pics pics! Thinking of picking up a 330Ci soon for a daily and retiring the 220k e36.

My Cars
    05 330i convertible
    I have used Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-40 for the past 6 years. Why? Because it seemed that is what most people on various BMW used - but not unanimously. I'm sure Castrol would be fine. First I've heard of Liquid Moly. Congrats on the new car.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Guys, guys, guys.

The OP has an M3. There are only a couple oil brands that make the 10W60 full synthetic for it. Castrol (OEM) makes the original, I'm sure that Shell (Pennzoil) makes one as they're the new OEM supplier for BMW. I think I've seen one other.

Mobil 1 0W40 is *NOT* suitable for that engine, and neither are some other common ones that people use. Liquid Moly does make one, IIRC.
    Last edited by floydr; 10-31-2016 at 11:54 AM. Reason: liquid moly

My Cars
    325CI manual
    Quote Originally Posted by floydr View Post
    Guys, guys, guys.

The OP has an M3. There are only a couple oil brands that make the 10W60 full synthetic for it. Castrol (OEM) makes the original, I'm sure that Shell (Pennzoil) makes one as they're the new OEM supplier for BMW. I think I've seen one other.

Mobil 1 0W40 is *NOT* suitable for that engine, and neither are some other common ones that people use. Liquid Moly does make one, IIRC.
    He wanted an M3 but has a 330. The oil to use is anything from anybody that meets LL01 or at least ACEA A3, B3

My Cars
    04 ZHP, 83 320i, 00 M5
    Let's blow up his thread a bit lol. So Bmw long life oil is castrol 0 40w European. I have heard Bmw makes this oil. I have also heard Mobil 1 0-40w European is better than the castrol. However Mobil 1 is not on the long life list. Even on the Mobil 1 bottle it doesn't say for Bmw.

Thoughts? Facts? Opinions?

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by charter21p5 View Post
    Thoughts? Facts? Opinions?
    My opinion is that everyone worries too much about the brand they use, and the difference between "Full Synthetic" and "Synthetic" and "European Oil". And PAO and Group whatever. Screw all that and buy anything with LL-01 on it.

Caveat: I buy stuff with LL-04 on it.

My Cars
    1981 633csi
    I would go with LiqiMoly. BavAuto recommends that brand.

My Cars
    325CI manual
    Quote Originally Posted by floydr View Post
    My opinion is that everyone worries too much about the brand they use, and the difference between "Full Synthetic" and "Synthetic" and "European Oil". And PAO and Group whatever. Screw all that and buy anything with LL-01 on it.

Caveat: I buy stuff with LL-04 on it.
    Low SAPS formulation not to be used in U.S