Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Touring spoiler, get on the list!

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    LoL, I asked GG to weigh his and he went ahead and answered every question in the thread. Luv that guy.

Thanks for the great info GG!
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 12-03-2016 at 02:57 AM.

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport
    Sounds like this will be the closest to the original. Very excited!!! Thanks again for the effort gents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    My pleazures boys. Yeah looks really good / accurate to me.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Wagons Ho and I will be test fitting the spoiler on my car tonight after his expert fill/sand/paint work. With our observations tonight, I can go back to Rick and tweak some things if need be. I'm 2 hrs away from seeing the results. Update to follow.

UPDATE- According to Wagons Ho who does body/paint professionally, the piece is "structurally sound and dimensionally stable" He liked the quality of the part much more than the Latvian version he bought earlier this year.

We test fit the piece tonight and after a little sanding, got it to sit pretty nicely in the parking lot. Another round of test fitting and we should be ready to paint and mount it to my car (see, I'll stand behind the piece via my own car)

I'll go back to Rick with the added tweaks we needed to make so he can fix them in the mould so the next guy has an easier job.

There won't ever be a "bought it, painted it and it glued perfectly to the car 1st time" There's going to be some amount of effort to get it to sit perfectly but with what we're doing now, much less than it could be.

On a side note, with my OEM spoiler, it had some fitment issues too, light rocking on the car and wouldn't have been a paint and glue piece unless I didn't care much but I, we do.

Another day or two but we're very close!

- - - Updated - - -

Along the forwad leading edge, looking good and I'll try to thin down that front leading edge a bit to get it more flush with the roof but you'll never get it fully flush because the part its glued to is already flush so anything you put on top of that will be higher...

This little bump on the glass hatch was too high leading to a gap along the contour of the sides, we're addressing that.

You can see the gap in the lower right of this shot.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 12-06-2016 at 01:31 PM.

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport
    Love the attention to detail

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo84556 View Post
    Love the attention to detail

We really are trying to offer something cool here. I'd love to get someone in-charge of parts production inside BMW AG and see if they'd sell or donate the original mould to me/us for the love of the car/brand.

We're pretty much ready to paint and mount this one thanks in NO small part to Wagons Ho.

Rick has 10 or 11 pulled pieces ready to ship.

Before sending any off, please be aware that these will require some sanding, filling if there's pit holes or dips. Minor shaping and it's probably best if you avoid the double-sided tape and just use the urethane or similar adhesive to self-level and fill any high spots on the underside touching the car.

In other words, these are not going to be 100% unwrap and glue down. If you are familiar with body/paint work great. If not, take it to a decent shop.

Even my oem one was well beyond my skills to perfectly adhere to my car which is probably why I still had it a year+ after buying it. I knew it would have to be finessed a smidge.

Side note. These were made using 2 moulds and the 2 halves are then bonded together in another jig. Very sturdy and will hold their shape quite nicely. We tweaked production a tad already thanks, again to Wagons Ho.

So, if you're prepared, as soon as I have pictures of this painted and on my car, game on.

I'll go down the thread with pm's and we'll deal with shipping individually. I think UPS is pretty standard in country and we can figure something out for you not-so-local guys across the ponds.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 12-07-2016 at 07:02 PM.

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport

Touring spoiler, get on the list!

If you are using UPS it will have to be packed well. I've had way too many dinged & damaged items. Just a consideration.

What did you mean at the beginning to have someone from BMW???

Last edited by dmo84556; 12-07-2016 at 07:24 PM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I'll take mine now. That little bit of work is nothing at all.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    If you are using UPS it will have to be packed well. I've had way too many dinged & damaged items. Just a consideration.

What did you mean at the beginning to have someone from BMW???

I just wish there was a way to get the original moulds. I doubt the scrapped it. It's sitting in some warehouse like the "end scene" for Raiders of the lost ark.

Lots of bubble wrap inside a sturdy box, should be fine but if not, we'll insure it for shipping x 2 and spoiler x 2. That way if there's a mishap, everyone is covered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    I'll take mine now. That little bit of work is nothing at all.
    If there are no objections, Steve really started this and I'd enjoy getting him his first. Plus, I know he'll do a nice write up/review. Not totally impartial perhaps but... Ok Steve. You've earned it.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Awesome! Can't wait to get it!

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    You sure? There are cheaper options out there. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...179694&alt=web

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport
    I've waited this long, so happy to let those that made this happen fir us get first dibs.
    What that shipping/packing method that hat shoots foam into plastic and it for fits to the item??? I know that's a safe way but not sure how expensive.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I've waited this long, so happy to let those that made this happen fir us get first dibs.
    What that shipping/packing method that hat shoots foam into plastic and it for fits to the item??? I know that's a safe way but not sure how expensive.

I know what you mean with the packing. Not sure how I'd do that on these first 20 or so. I'll be shipping them directly from California.

Once the next batch gets made, I'll have them all paletted and delivered to Seattle. Then I can try and get creative and do something along those lines.

Thanks for being understanding. I already shipped a spoiler to Steve but then he sent it back to Rick so he's been teased enough.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I think the packaging concerns are overblown. It's a light item so dropping it won't generally cause itself harm, and that's the first thing to worry about usually. It's long but pretty damn strong so its not like a little flexing will cause ruination. The worst thing I could think of would be a big heavy pointed thing being dropped on it and puncturing the box but that's a freak accident and I wouldn't really worry too much about it or add a ton of cost just for the freak chances of that happening.

I've shipped a ton of heavy, fragile and awkward stuff in past (think 50lb vintage tube guitar amps) and the stuff that gets damaged is things with weight to them, or, truly under packaged items that are packed too close to corners of the box, and without the corners packed (so the corners can collapse if dropped on the corner). This item is not something I'd ever really worry about as long as I half-way decently packed it in a proper sized box (not too big, not too small, be sure the corners are well filled, and you should be totally fine...).

BTW, UPS problems IME are generally 'localized'. i.e. if UPS ruins a bunch of your packages, it's usually because your local / regional dist center blows, or your specific regular driver or one of his colleagues are A-holes. For the most part they are pretty excellent, its just some people have bad luck to have the few A-holes in their area. My brown drivers are great and I never ever have issues (one bad shipment in like 15yrs...) - its more the FedEx Home guys that are toolbags on my routes...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    My other hobby. flying large scale rc airplanes, it's always a roll of the dice when buying a new airframe. I had a $3000 composite airframe show up with a big a$$ hole from a fork lift, stabbed through the center of the box. Took almost three months, and about 25 phone calls before UPS wrote a check. We dubbed them United Plane Smashers. Happens all the time, I think of the opening scene from Ace Ventura every time I have something on it's way, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2Q6_9A90cUk
    Last edited by BimmrMeUpSnotty; 12-08-2016 at 08:53 AM.

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport
    It very well may be an issue with local distribution center. I complained. Lesson: ask to make sure packed well or use a provider you have higher confidence. So, I just wanted to ask and share my experience

My Cars
    2001 525i Touring
    I'm wondering if perhaps Wagon's Ho would be willing to take on some shaping and painting jobs - perhaps we set up something where we pay you for the part and shipping to him, then pay him for prep and paint. Would make me feel way better than taking it to a shop.

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport

Touring spoiler, get on the list!

Quote Originally Posted by ghostbutts View Post
    I'm wondering if perhaps Wagon's Ho would be willing to take on some shaping and painting jobs - perhaps we set up something where we pay you for the part and shipping to him, then pay him for prep and paint. Would make me feel way better than taking it to a shop.
    Good idea and efficient. A thought to consider is paint matching. Often it's not just mix the code and shoot. They may need to tinker else the color may not match.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    As much as I'm sure he'd enjoy the extra work... He's bending all sorts of rules to fit this one in.

If you use any decent paint shop, they can do the same stuff, admittedly not as well as he can unless they're perfectionists too.

I'll ask him but it'd mean we'll need to buy a spare rear hatch to mate these all to before shipping them off.

I don't know what he would charge but my guess is more than $100 an hr.

Him painting the part as stated above isn't quite as easy as painting based on the paint code. Paints shift in color over time. He'd basically need the car it's going to or the color could be off, enough that even you or I could see the difference.

I know it's daunting to some, myself included but it's always like this with body parts. Bumpers never fit right the first time, there's always some adjustments to be made and then the painting of the parts.

I was lucky enough to know Wagons Ho and live 15 minutes away from him in both Seattle and our respective places in the woods. That and he's a really nice guy to offer to help me in this.

It's best to just find a local shop and get it taken care of locally. I will ask him however.

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport
    Where will these ship from? Maybe I can pick mine up depending where you are. I'm in SF but come to LA often

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Where will these ship from? Maybe I can pick mine up depending where you are. I'm in SF but come to LA often

San Diego for the first run so...

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    This thread has been a bunch of teasing thusfar. It appears Wagons Ho decided to get in on the act with this text he just sent me:

How cool is that!? Sadly, I'm about a mountain pass away from him and the spoiler or I'd have already been to his place where we'd have consumed dignified quantities of spirits and or beer and slapped this bad girl on.

Patience. I'll be back in his area code by Tuesday at the latest.

Is there an emoticon that's a page-sized grinning face?

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy

My Cars
    2000 E39 530i Touring
    These look great, any chance you would be prepared to ship one to Australia

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by E39Touringoz View Post
    These look great, any chance you would be prepared to ship one to Australia
    Absolutely. Just give me some time to figure out some logistics and outside of Steve's, I personally want to hold off until we see the finished product on the car. I would be honored however to hook you up after we see the final product.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    Nice, exactly. Still bummed you found that red beauty. Not really. I'm happy that it found a good home.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 12-13-2016 at 04:24 AM.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast