Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Touring spoiler, get on the list!

My Cars
    00' 528iT 5MT Sport
    Interested!
    528iT 5MT: Sport package, no sunroof, blacked out kidney grilles, Angel Eyes, M-Sport style front/rear bumpers, Style 65 wheels, 10mm front and 20mm rear spacers, H&R front lowering springs with SLS, Avin Avant-2 with Dashcam, iPod, backup camera, external mic, GPS, and wireless hotspot.
    Not Installed: Active Autowerke Stage II SC :/

My Cars
    86 325w/m50, e39 touring
    Definitely interested in one as well! I am new on here (been into e30s mostly) but would definitely look into picking one up!
    Formerly known as e304m3 now mickyfree.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I'm was on a trip in California recently and figured that while there, If I could swing it I'd meet up with Jed for the first time.

My wife and I met with Jed and his better half (the owner of an e60 m5 btw's) and broke bread with them at Buca di Bepo in Anaheim.

What cool people, both of whom have a real passion for bmw's. GPS got us close but it wasn't till I saw the "neighborhood car show", about 7 bimmers all hudled together on the corner of their block along with the nearly full 3 car driveway complete with a front clip removed m5 begging to be put back together, that I knew I was in the right place.

Jed and his total bmw enthusiastic wife welcomed us and took us to dinner down the road. Great conversation and food. These guys are great together and hearing Jed talk about his work, its clear that we've not seen the tip of the Unicorn iceberg.

With luck, he'll be up in my hood (Seattle) in 3 weeks where I can return their hospitality and continue to learn more about them.

I got the sense from him a desire to try and do things better because he can. He's definitely on a path he can set ablaze. I'm honored to have met yet another bimmer bro and share a passion. Thanks Jed and Mrs. Jed
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 10-31-2016 at 02:34 AM.

My Cars
    528iT
    Count me in for one. Mine was 'removed' by unknown forces so I would like to replace it to complete my Aero Kit...

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
    Count me in for one. Mine was 'removed' by unknown forces so I would like to replace it to complete my Aero Kit...
    I hear you.

I'll try and hit Ricks shop today. He's only 15 minutes away from my B&B.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    I look at this image and for some reason it looks like the original spoiler was removed for this to sit so flush....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    My wife and I met with M5Jed and his better half (the owner of an e60 m5 btw's) tonight and broke bread with them at Buca di Bepo in Anaheim.

What cool people, both of whom have a real passion for bmw's. GPS got us close but it wasn't till I saw the "neighborhood car lot", about 7 bimmers all hudled together on the corner of their block along with the full 3 car driveway complete with a front clip removed m5 begging to be put back together, that I knew I was in the right place.

Jed Welcomed us and took us to dinner down the road. Great conversation and food. These guys are great together and hearing Jed talk about his work, its clear that we've not seen the tip of his mental iceberg. This guy, so much untapped potential still left in him. I'm not willing to let any cats out of any bags but I'm anxious to see what he shows us over the next few months and years.

With luck, he'll be up in my hood in 3 weeks where I can return their hospitality and continue to learn more about them. Quick trivia; one of them drives like a "grandma" Hint: he did an s62 swap into his wagon... lol for some its the challenge and pride and for some, the glory and bragging rights. I got no sense of ego or arrogance from him just a desire to try and do things better because he can. If you ever get a chance to say hi at bimmerfest, you'll know what I mean. Once again, I'm honored to meet yet another e39 touring bro and share a passion. Thanks bimmerforums. Thanks Jed.
    You got to meet my Brother from another Mother - NICE! Jed is da man. BTW, if you pass through the Bay Area on your way back to the PNW, give me a holla if you want to stop and hang out.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Pic of my OEM Spoiler. Mounted with factory tape and some adhesive the body shop used.
    It just mounts on top of hatch and the glass hatch.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Man red looks good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    I look at this image and for some reason it looks like the original spoiler was removed for this to sit so flush....

- - - Updated - - -
    It's really thin at the front. It just sits on top of the original piece. Nothing removed or added but an adhesive.

You got to meet my Brother from another Mother - NICE! Jed is da man. BTW, if you pass through the Bay Area on your way back to the PNW, give me a holla if you want to stop and hang out.
    We fly out this Saturday afternoon. I have time Friday between 4-6 I think. I'm in a class to learn about a new polish/wax that claims a 5 year resistance to fading. So far I like what I'm seeing and hearing from the installers I've talked with. I can probably duck out for lunch also. I'm staying in La Jolla but travel 15-20 minutes South towards San Diego for the class.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 10-28-2016 at 02:31 AM.

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    That is difference between the OE BMW touring spoilers and the current aftermarket ones, the leading edge on the OE ones are flush with the roofline, the copies have a step.

Is the one pictures on the black car above one of your guys replicas?

If so job well done and makes me want to swap my ripply aftermarket one out!

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I met with Rick today. Cool guy and what a cool shop!

So, I and he will proceed immediately and can have around 25 units by Christmas. You just need to prime and paint or wrap them anyway you want.

I'll put my company name in super small print underneath so you'll know it's my product and not a copy of a copy of an OEM piece. Rick sent me off with his diffuser, front bumper lips and fog light inserts as a way to whet my whistle while I wait. I'm blown away by him, the cars he had at his shop and his generosity and enthusiasm for this project.

The final price will be $200 plus shipping for you guys on this first run. I expect installation pics and honest reviews but please be patient and get a nice paint shop or install it after painting correctly yourself before posting any harsh reviews. Like I said, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get your spoiler correct and make you happy.

So, I'm not sure how to proceed here in the forum. Become a vender/sponsor? I have a website for this stuff but I'm not sure it's allowed to post it...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 10-31-2016 at 02:36 AM.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    I think $200 is a very far price.Very cool effort. Members link stuff from other vendors all the time.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    I think $200 is a very far price.Very cool effort. Members link stuff from other vendors all the time.
    Agreed, I hope this goes well and you can continue to produce them

Mine will probably end up being gloss black instead of the body color, so I should be able to get you a review on fitment pretty quickly, because my car will be painted at the earliest mid spring

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Ok, I'll ask JimLev or another moderator if I can set up a link. I really think these will be great. I'll open the "buy" link as soon as I have one in-hand. Yea, spoilers!

The oem one I bought was a little more than $200 ($230 if I recall correctly, is what I paid) so my goal of being under that seems to have come to fruition. In time, we can look at carbon fiber options if requested but we'll have to make a seperate mold for that. Rick tried to explain the difference but it was lost on me. He did show me some of his CF pieces he'd made for the M5's: man did they look good. He confirmed that they would need to run closer to $500 as they require much more time and labor. I figure if I need the CF look, there's overlays and vinyl wrap that look almost identical to CF. I'll be happy with just a spoiler that fits, looks good and doesn't break the bank.

He asked if I wanted a logo or name somewhere on the spoiler and that it'd be easy to do. Placed under the spoiler so you wouldn't see it. I might add a name or logo so people will know it's not the Austrian/Latvian version.

When there's a finished product in my hands, I'll begin offering them out. You guys who signed up before they were ready have my gratitude and I'll honor this price till the release for anyone who adds their name to the list before then. Thank you for your patience, thank Rick for being so cool and thank BimmrMeUpSnotty for lighting a fire under this project. I'm humbled by the support and will endeavor to earn your trust on this. I'm very excited and glad I made the trip. Meeting M5Jed and Slimmbones was awesome. Some guys like sports stars, I'm a fan of car nuts who build cool stuff for the love of the cars they belong to. I'm very honored to know these guys and to bring this to you all. Thank you.

Lee
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 10-29-2016 at 02:17 AM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Your too kind, Lee. Guys, the one thing that Lee and I agree'd on was to make this spoiler as affordable as could be, so that everyone could get one. It's all about the love of keeping these old cars that we love, running and looking good on the road. Lee is the one that deserves all the praise for this project. He is the one who followed through with everything. I sure hope you all realize the amount of legwork, the time, the money, that it takes to bring something to market. And to do it for no monetary rewards, tells you all you need to know about a person. Hats off to you, Batman!!!
    I have something else brewing up, working with an engineer right now, it is getting drawn up on Solidworks. I will let you all know all about it when the time comes. Good stuff, stay tuned!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport
    I'm interested in one as well

Thanks tho those of you working hard to make this avail for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    This is happening. The mold is being prepped as I type.

BimmrMeUpSnotty--- without you and Rick, this never would have been something I would have tried. Much like my 4.6 swap, you guys, your passion and support enabled me to reach well beyond my comfort zone. I count that as teamwork. End of story.
    Thank you, thank you all.

My Cars
    '00 540iT 03 525iT
    Very interested as well. Our 540 has the spoiler already but would love to get one on the 525. May join in on the second batch.

My Cars
    2001 525i Touring
    so what will the material be? (sorry if I missed an earlier post)

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostbutts View Post
    so what will the material be? (sorry if I missed an earlier post)
    Polyethylene.

My Cars
    '88 535is & '99 540iT6
    What a great project!

Apologies if I missed it; but have you stated a cutoff date for being in the first batch yet?

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Update---
    Just got off the phone w/Rick. We've decided to go with a primed fiberglass spoiler over polyethylene.

The entire spoiler would have to be solid polyethylene to hold its shape and would be heavy and never feel totally solid so wrapping it would be a challenge. Using fiberglass, we will get fewer pulls from the mould so the cost will be higher.

I'll keep the initial run of 20 pieces at the stated price but after that I'll have to look at the numbers and see where we need to be to keep this going for a while.

Sorry if this bothers anyone but it should be an even better result. For those who have never seen the oem piece, it too was rigid and made of a fiberglass reinforced plastic. This will feel no different and we can sharpen and round edges that the oem piece should have had sharpened and rounded but never were from the factory. Side by side you should never notice a difference.

First mock-up should be in my hands by Dec 15th 2016
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 11-29-2016 at 08:57 PM.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    I think it would be worth it, the people who are looking for cheap spoilers will settle for the eBay ones available now, but people looking for quality and something very OEM like will want this one. I don't think the raised price would end up being an issue

--- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    This is from someone that knows very little about plastics and molding, but would it be possible to do a fiber reinforced plastic such as what is found on high quality power tools? From my basic knowledge of it, would it be enough to keep the weight down while still stiffening it up?

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts

This stuff

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I too like the idea of fiberglass reinforced plastic and I'll ask. Each material used requires a new mould so costs can double quickly.
    Let's see what fiberglass looks like and we can go from there.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 11-29-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast