Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Touring spoiler, get on the list!

My Cars
    2011 750Lix M sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostbutts View Post
    Got my car back from the shop to install the spoiler (along with a new passenger door and fender thanks to a hit and run) but it looks great!

The shop used double sided tape to stick it on - not sure exactly what but it's on there solid. Is this an approved method? Should I worry about it coming off now, week or year from now? I don't see being able to use the glue now that it's already on there without some serious elbo grease and potentially peeling paint underneath.

Thoughts?
    Getting ready to install the spoiler....finally. (All other work is nearing completion) I have the marine adhesive recommended for install, but was wondering if there was any type of adhesive or double sided tape used on the bottom edge of spoiler that sits on the glass? In other words was it adheres to the glass panel in any way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    These really don't adhere to the glass too much but where it does, sure. The thin body panel above it gets most of the sticky. It'll sit over the glass slightly so if you want to seal it, use the glue if it's just shock-protection, either should work
    Regarding the oem spoiler, that factory tape job does go onto the glass, and the sealer was to take up irregularities on the rear hatch cover position and to keep moisture out. With tape on the hatch only, the gap on the glass will be irregular. Not that you'll see it but not perfectly contoured.

OEM double-sided tape was pre-installed and it came with Betalink adhesive to seal for water.

The outer, rear-edge will sit just slightly over the glass in spots but you'll see when you place the piece on the car, where to put the adhesive.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 03-06-2018 at 09:07 AM.

My Cars
    2011 750Lix M sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    These really don't adhere to the glass, just the thin body panel above it. It'll sit over the glass slightly but you don't glue it to the glass really.
    Regarding the oem spoiler, that factory tape job does go onto the glass, and the sealer was to take up irregularities on the rear hatch cover position. With tape on the hatch only, the gap on the glass will be irregular. Not that you'll see it but not perfectly contoured.

OEM double-sided tape was pre-installed and it came with Betalink adhesive to seal for water.

The outer, rear-edge will sit just slightly over the glass in spots but you'll see when you place the piece on the car, where to put the adhesive.
    Thank you that clears up my confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    It gets easier once on the car. You'll see what I mean.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Do NOT get on the list. This last batch looked right, sat right but was built wrong.
    (I'm in CA now to meet with the makers of the spoilers)
    I also took a trip to see Ghostbutts because he bought a spoiler from me. Paid someone to prep it and install it. A short while later, it cracked. I have seen this before and alerted the guys making these to it and how they can prevent it and yet...
    So, I had a few bad ones and 2 good ones with me for demonstration purposes when I get to a face to face with these guys.
    So, I offered to do anything I could for Ghostbutts to help set things right. I gave him a new spoiler for his car (so clean!!) but after we talked for a bit about cars and what it was like to not have rock chips all over the front of your car is like, I headed out only to have Ghostbutts call me to say the one I'd given him had a crack too. Talk about crappy luck. I hadn't brought any "good" ones. Ghostbutts is on my radar as someone I need to make happy, he's allowed me some time and for that and seeing that flawless hood, my god! I'm fortunate.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Speaking of which..... Lee, are you aware of DTMfiberwerkz? These guys sold a couple things for E39's, like a way overpriced exhaust shroud for M5 bumpers, with those fins in either FRP or carbon fiber, I know they made other things, but not more for E39's, just saw that they are suddenly selling E39 wagon roof spoilers, in FRP and carbon fiber, boasting that they are made here in the US, in Los Angeles..... You might want to take that guy out back and break some bones.... What I see is, they are sending you the crap, and selling all the good pieces. Sure I may be wrong, but really? We come up with the idea, you bring the work to them, and suddenly, DTMfw has their own US made spoiler?

Found it on this site:
    http://www.modbargains.com/dtm-fiber...of-spoiler.htm

And here it is on their site:
    https://dtmfiberwerkz.com/index.php?...product_id=310

Address:
    DTM FiberWerkz
    18214 Parthenia St.
    Northridge, CA 91325

M-F 10am-5pm PST
    Sat 10am-2pm PST
    Telephone: 818.341.9903
    Fax: 818.341.9904

E-Mail:
    sales@dtmfiberwerkz.com
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Classic. FML

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    sounds like a name and shame situation
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    To be fair, although it is interesting, we don't have much to go on at this point. I'll be paying AITracing a visit (the guys charged with making the spoilers) If I can hold them innocent before proven guilty, we all can but if I get a sniff that somehow I'm getting the hairy shaft, well. Things might get shaken up a bit.

I know that I'll be bringing my oem spoiler home (requested for over a year) and I'll try to make them in Seattle for my original price-point or whatever I can swing. I might buy one from DTM just to see if I can tell what they did. Good catch Snotty, thanks.

If anyone's spoiler develops a crack, please contact me right away. It might take some time but you trusted me and that means something to me so I'd like to try and make things right, as best I can.

I'll keep you posted.

If you've purchased a spoiler (with the center cut out) and have not installed it, adding an inch or so deep bead of resin/fiberglass to the interior of that trailing edge, letting it cure, should solve the problem if it was to appear. Filling the spoiler with spray insulation and cutting off the extra that cures out of the piece (it expands as it cures) will do the same thing.

On the open bottom ones, also; if you compress the two halves a little and a small crack forms, fill the gap and do the above steps, you should never have a problem.

This is all very embarrassing for me but not the end of the world. The fix is fairly easy. Any bodywork guys should be able to do this blindfolded.

I'm parked at Status Grouppe San Diego CA now, who sub-contracted AITracing in Chino CA to build the spoilers. I'll be heading there tomorrow. Today, we'll be discussing reimbursement and contract fulfillment issues. I'm not going to be very tolerant of anything shy of a perfect order of 25 spoilers or a full refund minus Status Grouppe's expenses (I don't think Mike was trying to hose me and he shipped a bunch of heavy stuff back and fourth) fair is fair.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 03-12-2018 at 05:56 PM.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    DTM is selling a replica of the Latvian spoiler. (inside scoop)

I might give these guys (AITracing) one more try but it's a 1 shot deal. Either they produce 25 perfect copies of the oem spoiler or refund/small claims time.

Might. They're offering to do a CF copy but I need yo have them built in China and once again, I relinquish my oem spoiler, to China... (nervous pacing) I'm going to sleep on it.

Thoughts?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    DTM is selling a replica of the Latvian spoiler. (inside scoop)

I might give these guys (AITracing) one more try but it's a 1 shot deal. Either they produce 25 perfect copies of the oem spoiler or refund/small claims time.

Might. They're offering to do a CF copy but I need yo have them built in China and once again, I relinquish my oem spoiler, to China... (nervous pacing) I'm going to sleep on it.

Thoughts?
    One thought is you're between a saint and insane to keep with this program man! Most people would have packed it in ages ago! I tip my hat sir.

The other thought is... Wait until you get a perfect rep, and then send THAT to China. Even if that perfect rep is an imperfect one that had to be hand-re-worked to make it right. I wouldnt send a real deal over there for sure.

Last thought is, you can be almost certain if you have those made in China some will show up on the innerwebz after not too long. Now most people won't want to order an item like that straight from Alibaba or whatever so it might not sell a lot but sooner or later they'll find somebody stateside or in EU to buy a shipment of them I bet. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Just means that's what happens when you get stuff done in Asia, and you aren't a 'heavy hitter' who can really control things over there with your suppliers.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    GG, as always, sage advice.
    I'm not trying to get rich off these, just wanted the part to be available again and not that shitty Latvian one. If down the line, some pop up on other sites, I'll back out. As far as saint/insane well, if you knew me, I'm really optomistic and gut-driven and I DO NOT give up on dreams easily. Just ask Jed. He begged me to s62 swap and to not have to see his pipes on anything less (4.6) I rarely do things outside my comfort zone but if I step out, I step out hard. Feast or famine, I'll have surely tried and if I have to lose money to save face, so be it. Life's been good to me generally. I try to pay it forward as often as I can.

I came down with a clear head and clear goals. They took back the whole last batch, gave me 3 perfect spoilers and 3 "fixed" ones from this last batch. 6 in all to go home with. I'll fix Ghostbutt's spoiler and get it to him once I get home with some help from WagonsHo (I hope)

AITracing gets another go of it as of now. I'm having moulds built in China for both FRP and CF. I'll receive the proofs as soon as they're ready and we'll go from there. We'll finally get a CF version to look at. That's worth it to me. Next year, Goldfish! JK

I'm letting the universe work. I think it's worth it if I can get these to a good price and make happy cars.

It might be my only real contribution to our community but it's something.

Fingers crossed
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 03-13-2018 at 06:42 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525i Touring
    Really appreciate how much dedication you have!
    Last edited by ghostbutts; 03-14-2018 at 03:12 AM.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostbutts View Post
    Really appreciate how much dedication you have!
    It goes both ways brother.

My Cars
    2003 M5
    I've been lurking on this thread for a while. As soon as you have good pieces in, I'll buy one. Put me on whatever waiting list you have going. =)
    Instagram: ​Ethirtynine

2003 M5 Sterling Grey
    (Weekend Fun)
    2002 540iA Schwartz Black (SOLD at 230K)
    1999 528iTA Titanium Silver
    (SOLD at 200K)

2003 530i/5 Titanium Silver (SOLD at 122K)
    2002 530iA Sterling Grey (SOLD at 156K)
    1997 528i Aspen Silver (SOLD at 269K)

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanassi44 View Post
    I've been lurking on this thread for a while. As soon as you have good pieces in, I'll buy one. Put me on whatever waiting list you have going. =)
    I have 3 that are basically perfect and 3 more that will need 15 more minutes of sanding to get them to sit right. I'm proud of all 6.

My Cars
    2003 M5
    I have 3 that are basically perfect and 3 more that will need 15 more minutes of sanding to get them to sit right. I'm proud of all 6.
    I want the one you sanded most perfectly after your morning coffee

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Instagram: ​Ethirtynine

2003 M5 Sterling Grey
    (Weekend Fun)
    2002 540iA Schwartz Black (SOLD at 230K)
    1999 528iTA Titanium Silver
    (SOLD at 200K)

2003 530i/5 Titanium Silver (SOLD at 122K)
    2002 530iA Sterling Grey (SOLD at 156K)
    1997 528i Aspen Silver (SOLD at 269K)

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    $275 (stays the same but we reduced the weight and thus the shipping goes to $20 (westcoast) $30 (midwest) and $40 (east coast)
    Paypal.me/DDLee

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    Bad timing for purchasing earlier maybe saved us a few problems, but still want one when the time is right after fixing a few other things first...love your determination know the feeling well...

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    I'm ready for one as well. Definitely rather buy one from you than what else is out there! I'll take one of the near perfect ones if you still have one avail or put me on the list. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-US701 using Tapatalk
    Ed

Keep on modding and fixing!..

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    1st, so much thanks for all the support. I am still driving home and am probably a few days away from sleeping, not in the car but my own bed. Once home, I'll address these requests.

Ghostbutts's spoiler is a priority for sure but I will of course get back to you recent guys too.

I'm ending this trip optimistically and with great humility thanks to so many wonderful things and factors this trip provided. The people I've met with, the scenery I drove through and the feelings I get from this community. I'm in-love again with this project and more determined than ever to make acquaintances with even more members.

If you've never reached out to the touring group and seen what great people it has or the openess with which they can become part of your car's story, I highly recommend you give it a shot. You'll be amazed as I have been from the start. It only motivates me more to get this done and correctly to say "Thank you!"

You all have my gratitude and for lack of a better word, love.

Lee

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    1st, so much thanks for all the support. I am still driving home and am probably a few days away from sleeping, not in the car but my own bed. Once home, I'll address these requests.

Ghostbutts's spoiler is a priority for sure but I will of course get back to you recent guys too.

I'm ending this trip optimistically and with great humility thanks to so many wonderful things and factors this trip provided. The people I've met with, the scenery I drove through and the feelings I get from this community. I'm in-love again with this project and more determined than ever to make acquaintances with even more members.

If you've never reached out to the touring group and seen what great people it has or the openess with which they can become part of your car's story, I highly recommend you give it a shot. You'll be amazed as I have been from the start. It only motivates me more to get this done and correctly to say "Thank you!"

You all have my gratitude and for lack of a better word, love.

Lee
    When I saw you were headed to SOCA wanted to meet up, IM in Vegas could have driven over, but not good timing for me, so read your experience along the way knowing well the feeling driving a trip like that, people, scenery, etc...felt your pain with spoiler problem "your reflection of thoughts" when heading home...those will last a life time...
    Last edited by SCRSUVS; 03-17-2018 at 04:19 PM.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by SCRSUVS View Post
    When I saw you were headed to SOCA wanted to meet up, IM in Vegas could have driven over, but not good timing for me, so read your experience along the way knowing well the feeling driving a trip like that, people, scenery, etc...felt your pain with spoiler problem "your reflection of thoughts" when heading home...those will last a life time...
    I think as long as Jed doesn't mind me rummaging around his shop looking at all the cool parts and cars he has parjed inside, this'll be a yearly trip or I'll roll it into Bimmerfest and stay longer to see more people.

I always enjoy seeing wagons and their drivers. Next time.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    (1) of the "perfect" ones left. The other 3 "fixed" spoilers are going through some testing in different hot and cold environments with weights. I'm looking for deformity or stress cracks to appear. So far none but after seeing Ghostbutts paint, install, remove and return his, I'm not taking any risks.

When I'm convinced they're solidly stable, they're for sale too. I never want to experience that feeling again, of taking one back after it's been on a car. Yuck.

Now to go see how WagonsHo is doing on his projects. He's going to help fix Ghostbutts' spoiler. We'll do a step-by-step prep and install walk-through on a raw spoiler so everyone can get a better idea how these are to deal with. As soon as we can both get time, this is happening.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 03-29-2018 at 01:04 AM.

My Cars
    1994 toyota supra
    If you ever make them let me know.. I kinda want a eurodyne one and I have a feeling I am going to pay a lot for it.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast