Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Ultimate Budget e46/36 Hydro DIY

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrcanes55 View Post
    I'll update on this. After a year and a half of having this installed it has not failed. It has not leaked. The cylinder on the hydro still functions. The only thing I would recommend if you are looking to make this an effective and consistent setup is to buy a nicer handbrake with a slightly taller handle. I'm not sure if it's the fact that I ran it through the DSC or if the ISR handbrake just sucks. But it requires significantly more effort to actuate than most any other handbrake setup. Other than that. Not bad at all. I'm going to a dual caliper setup so I can left foot brake again.

Also things to note. Not all e46s have the DSC under the brake master. So I apologize if you go to do this and it's not there.
    i came across your youtube vid the other day

My Cars
    1985 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Depends on the master cylinder sizing you used for your hydro. The stock rear brake calipers aren't designed to lock up the rear wheels. So if you went with a 3/4" master, you'll need more force to lock it up. If you had like a 5/8" master, you could use less force but it would require more travel of the handle. With the dual caliper setup, you can size the clamping force with pad size and cylinder square inchage to get more force for the same master cylinder so it'll lock up better.
    That is the plan. Chase Bays hydro with their line stuff. I just need to figure out which calipers to run (maybe stock 330? or possible e36 m3? Whichever fits.) and then which weld on tabs or bolt on brackets I need. Then I'll do another DIY/Write up.

Also here's a vid.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Stock calipers won't really work as well as wilwoods. Dual piston calipers give such better bite. I think for the work you're doing, It's just simpler to go with brand new wilwoods.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I just did a dual caliper build on my e46 330. I bought another set of 330 calipers (doing this as budget as possible) and I got a 3/4" master Sikky handbrake- Email sikky and ask for a discount if you run a sticker. They gave me a bit off just for asking, and even if it's a few bucks that you save, its a few bucks towards another tire.
    I ran Chase Bays lines, and have everything run and hooked up, I just need to mount the actual handbrake. I don't have a welder, so I kind of plan on cutting a piece of 16ga steel plate to fit around the gearshift, bolt it down with 4 bolts/nuts, and then have it sized so it hangs off to the left a bit to mount it right where the one in that video is mounted. I'm trying to keep my trim too, since I have it all painted.
    As for the caliper brackets, I welded on premade brackets- Not the little ears, but ones that had both holes and were connected. I don't even remember the brand, they were like $45 or something from some little canadien company I think.

Jrcane- When you welded it there, was it a flat surface you welded the hydro to? Maybe I can just drill holes and bolt it right there? I need to pop the trim and insulation off and take a look, I'm actually planning on looking at it today.
    Last edited by awp235; 04-06-2018 at 03:44 PM.

My Cars
    1985 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    I just did a dual caliper build on my e46 330. I bought another set of 330 calipers (doing this as budget as possible) and I got a 3/4" master Sikky handbrake- Email sikky and ask for a discount if you run a sticker. They gave me a bit off just for asking, and even if it's a few bucks that you save, its a few bucks towards another tire.
    I ran Chase Bays lines, and have everything run and hooked up, I just need to mount the actual handbrake. I don't have a welder, so I kind of plan on cutting a piece of 16ga steel plate to fit around the gearshift, bolt it down with 4 bolts/nuts, and then have it sized so it hangs off to the left a bit to mount it right where the one in that video is mounted. I'm trying to keep my trim too, since I have it all painted.
    As for the caliper brackets, I welded on premade brackets- Not the little ears, but ones that had both holes and were connected. I don't even remember the brand, they were like $45 or something from some little canadien company I think.

Jrcane- When you welded it there, was it a flat surface you welded the hydro to? Maybe I can just drill holes and bolt it right there? I need to pop the trim and insulation off and take a look, I'm actually planning on looking at it today.
    I can't 100% remember but I don't believe it is. I seem to remember having to fill a few decently sized gaps to make it work. But I'll see if I can get pictures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12