Thread: Exhaust Advice - Supersprint vs. Stromung

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe

Post Exhaust Advice - Supersprint vs. Stromung

Hi guys,

I've done a lot of searching on this topic and have found some great information, but I'm after some personal opinions. I am currently running the stock exhaust on my 3.2 Evo but am keen to install an aftermarket cat-back system. I recently installed a Bastuck system but sold it because it was too loud. It sounded great at WOT, but droned too much on the highway and was too loud around town at low RPM.

After extensive research (and many Youtube videos), I have narrowed my choice down to the Supersprint Sport and Stromung systems. From what I can tell, the Supersprint is fairly quiet, which doesn't bother me so long as it sounds "nicer" (subjective, I know) than the stock system. To me, the stocker sound quite harsh, especially at high rpm. The Stromung looks to be a descent compromise - not too loud, not too quiet.

Does anyone have experience with either / both of these systems? What I loved about the Bastuck was that it had a really nice pitch at high rpm, where some other systems try too hard to "deepen" the sound and end up sounding choked at high rpm. I want the thing to sing at redline.

Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

My Cars
    Black
    Stromung is a little louder than supersprint. Only slightly.

I love my eisenmann and wouldn't trade it for anything. Probably a bit loud for your tastes though.

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by weedshoes View Post
    Stromung is a little louder than supersprint. Only slightly.

I love my eisenmann and wouldn't trade it for anything. Probably a bit loud for your tastes though.
    I take it you've got the Eisenmann race? My only issue with Eisenmann is the cost...

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16

Both

I had Stromung on my S52 (E36 M3) and liked it. Nice sound around town, and beautiful wide open. I ran it with the AA track pipe.

When we swapped the S50B32 into the car, I went with the SuperSprint track pipe and cat back (resonator only, no cat) based on suggestions that the sound was similar to the Stromung and I feel that is the case. Not obnoxious, no drone and sounds nice at WOT. My observations are from the drivers seat only, although when I auto-x'd the car I regulary received positive remarks as to the awesome sound. The 8k redline surely made it sound even more sweet!

Unless Stromung now makes a cat back to fit the euro mid pipe, the Stromung will be a step down in pipe size. That and the fact that they don't fit up was why I went SuperSprint, plus the tremendous weight savings!

This thread is about to be moved to the E36 M3 Euro sub-forum.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    I had Stromung on my S52 (E36 M3) and liked it. Nice sound around town, and beautiful wide open. I ran it with the AA track pipe.

When we swapped the S50B32 into the car, I went with the SuperSprint track pipe and cat back (resonator only, no cat) based on suggestions that the sound was similar to the Stromung and I feel that is the case. Not obnoxious, no drone and sounds nice at WOT. My observations are from the drivers seat only, although when I auto-x'd the car I regulary received positive remarks as to the awesome sound. The 8k redline surely made it sound even more sweet!

Unless Stromung now makes a cat back to fit the euro mid pipe, the Stromung will be a step down in pipe size. That and the fact that they don't fit up was why I went SuperSprint, plus the tremendous weight savings!

This thread is about to be moved to the E36 M3 Euro sub-forum.
    I did hear a car (almost identical to mine) with the Supersprint Race muffler on the weekend and it didn't sound too obnoxious, hard to tell until you really drive it though. I wasn't aware that the US cars had a smaller exhaust diameter? I am pretty fussy when it comes to fitment though - another reason why I sold the Bastuck. Was the Stromung not soo good in this regard?

Wondering whether I should add the Supersprint Race pipe to my list...
    Last edited by soco3594; 10-16-2016 at 07:25 PM.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    As I recall, the Stromung fit fine. GF and I installed it 14 years ago on our backs in the garage. LOL

The North American version and ROTW exhausts are quite different and require cutting and welding to work together.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    Black
    Quote Originally Posted by soco3594 View Post

I take it you've got the Eisenmann race? My only issue with Eisenmann is the cost...
    Yes. Straight pipes into the race.

My Cars
    Black

I did hear a car (almost identical to mine) with the Supersprint Race muffler on the weekend and it didn't sound too obnoxious, hard to tell until you really drive it though. I wasn't aware that the US cars had a smaller exhaust diameter? I am pretty fussy when it comes to fitment though - another reason why I sold the Bastuck. Was the Stromung not soo good in this regard?

Wondering whether I should add the Supersprint Race pipe to my list...
    US cars have 50mm pipes. Euro has 60

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    I had stromung make me a custom muffler for my S50B32 setup. It's basically the same muffler that they use on the US-spec e36, but with no pipes connected to it. It has 2.5" pipes, which are slightly larger than the stock 60mm pipe size. Then I cut off the stock muffler and got some prebent 2.5" stainless tubing, which fits right over the 60mm pipe, and fabbed it all up and welded it.

It was a good solution. Sounds AWESOME. The only other thing available in the US is the supersprint, which was about 1200 bucks and my way was less than 600. And I think the stromung muffler is better looking. Now I'm in the middle of building a midpipe. It's dual 2.5" all the way through with high flow cats, x pipe, and resonators. The stock center section is REALLY restrictive, both with the cats and the pipe size. The part from the headers to the cats is actually dual-walled. The size tubing that the exhaust actually sees is only 50mm or so. REALLY stupid. So that had to go. It's a work in progress at the moment.

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
    I had stromung make me a custom muffler for my S50B32 setup. It's basically the same muffler that they use on the US-spec e36, but with no pipes connected to it. It has 2.5" pipes, which are slightly larger than the stock 60mm pipe size. Then I cut off the stock muffler and got some prebent 2.5" stainless tubing, which fits right over the 60mm pipe, and fabbed it all up and welded it.

It was a good solution. Sounds AWESOME. The only other thing available in the US is the supersprint, which was about 1200 bucks and my way was less than 600. And I think the stromung muffler is better looking. Now I'm in the middle of building a midpipe. It's dual 2.5" all the way through with high flow cats, x pipe, and resonators. The stock center section is REALLY restrictive, both with the cats and the pipe size. The part from the headers to the cats is actually dual-walled. The size tubing that the exhaust actually sees is only 50mm or so. REALLY stupid. So that had to go. It's a work in progress at the moment.
    Sounds like a good project. Are Stromung based in the US? It's really difficult to find any information on them.

I've got quotes for both supersprint systems (sport and race), but they are quite expensive. I do like the look of the Stromung tips too. Not really interested in changing the cats or anything else, I'm doing it purely for looks and sound if I'm honest. Have sent Stromung an email to see if they have an off-the-shelf model to fit the euro spec model - biggest issue (as always) will be getting it shipped to Aus...

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 S50B32
    I have a Supersprint Race on my S50B32. It is pretty nice, has a real bassy sounds at idle and is aggressive but refined sounding at full throttle. I'm very happy with it.

I also had a Supersprint cat delete x pipe and I had to remove it. It was way too tinny sounding. Had this really gross resonation as I cruised down my street at 2500 rpm and light throttle. Also was a bit tinny on full throttle. Put the stock cats back in and the sound is gone. Added a bit of weight back but don't really feel I lost any power. You can also hear the air box more which is an added bonus.
    Last edited by SPhilly28; 10-17-2016 at 08:05 PM.
    1995 Japan Spec 318is Slicktop, S54B32, ZF 5MT, Typ 210 3.25:1 FD, CSL Carbon airbox, Supersprint V2 stepped headers, Bimmerworld/Magnaflow 3" race exhaust, CAE shifter, JBR lightweight flywheel, Clutchmasters Kevlar clutch, MCS 2 ways w/ rear coilover, Hyper Coils, Ground control plates, Turner bars, Turner camber links, BW roll center correcting control arms, GC bump steer tie rods, Road Race GT strut bar, Mason Engineering GTR rear brace, Stoptech ST40 brakes, Hawk pads, Apex EC-7 18x10, RE71R 285/30/18, Hard Flares.

www.isiautomotive.com

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by SPhilly28 View Post
    I have a Supersprint Race on my S50B32. It is pretty nice, has a real bassy sounds at idle and is aggressive but refined sounding at full throttle. I'm very happy with it.

I also had a Supersprint cat delete x pipe and I had to remove it. It was way too tinny sounding. Had this really gross resonation as I cruised down my street at 2500 rpm and light throttle. Also was a bit tinny on full throttle. Put the stock cats back in and the sound is gone. Added a bit of weight back but don't really feel I lost any power. You can also hear the air box more which is an added bonus.
    That's promising. I have no plans on removing the cats (it's illegal in Australia anyway) so the race muffler may not be too loud after all? The race muffler is $400 cheaper than the sport muffler which is nice, but still considerably more expensive than the Stromung.

Just received a reply from Stromung and sounds like they don't usually make systems for the Euro spec...

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Bugger - Stromung got back to me and said they don't make a system to suit the euro M3 (60mm). Looks like Supersprint it is!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 S50B32
    I don't think you will be upset with the SS. Since you are looking at mufflers you are by default looking to make your car louder. I thought the stock system was too quiet, that's one of the reasons why I went with the header back system. After running that for a month or so, and dealing with the tinny ness, I have found that the stock cat and the SS race muffler is just right. You won't be disappointed.
    1995 Japan Spec 318is Slicktop, S54B32, ZF 5MT, Typ 210 3.25:1 FD, CSL Carbon airbox, Supersprint V2 stepped headers, Bimmerworld/Magnaflow 3" race exhaust, CAE shifter, JBR lightweight flywheel, Clutchmasters Kevlar clutch, MCS 2 ways w/ rear coilover, Hyper Coils, Ground control plates, Turner bars, Turner camber links, BW roll center correcting control arms, GC bump steer tie rods, Road Race GT strut bar, Mason Engineering GTR rear brace, Stoptech ST40 brakes, Hawk pads, Apex EC-7 18x10, RE71R 285/30/18, Hard Flares.

www.isiautomotive.com

My Cars
    1998 BMW S50B32 M3 coupe
    buy the supersprint, you won't be disappointed.
    S50B32 341Bhp@7800Rpm, CDA SP03, Supersprint manifold+decat+Rear race exhaust, BMW Performance Brembo 6/2pot brake with E46 M3 CSL discs, KW V3, H&R sways, Motorsport strut bars, fully powerflexed, GT2 optic, 19" BBS RS-GT wheels with Michelin PSS.

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by kovrol View Post
    buy the supersprint, you won't be disappointed.
    Sport or Race? I'm leaning towards the race, purely because I feel like the sport will be too similar to stock and it's and extra $400 over the race muffler. I would love to install the race muffler with an extra set of resonators + electronic bypass but I've never been able to find any information on exhaust bypass valves for the E36 (except for straight dump bypass which I have no interest in)

My Cars
    E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3
    Sport or Race? I'm leaning towards the race, purely because I feel like the sport will be too similar to stock and it's and extra $400 over the race muffler. I would love to install the race muffler with an extra set of resonators + electronic bypass but I've never been able to find any information on exhaust bypass valves for the E36 (except for straight dump bypass which I have no interest in)
    I recently bought their sport exhaust for my car, and the build and material quality is second to none. Definitely a lifetime purchase. The sound is better than stock without being raspy or sounding aftermarket. Worth the money in my opinion.

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
    I recently bought their sport exhaust for my car, and the build and material quality is second to none. Definitely a lifetime purchase. The sound is better than stock without being raspy or sounding aftermarket. Worth the money in my opinion.
    Good to hear. I've gotten a quote locally for the sport system (not cheap) and turns out I can get an Eisenmann sport for the same price!

Obviously I've heard nothing but good things about Eisenmann and I prefer the straight cut exhaust tips (as opposed to the angled tips on the Supersprint) so I think I might just bite the bullet and go that way

My Cars
    Black

Good to hear. I've gotten a quote locally for the sport system (not cheap) and turns out I can get an Eisenmann sport for the same price!

Obviously I've heard nothing but good things about Eisenmann and I prefer the straight cut exhaust tips (as opposed to the angled tips on the Supersprint) so I think I might just bite the bullet and go that way
    You won't regret it. The Eisenmann is the grail pipe.