Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: driving e36 in snow?

My Cars
    95 Boston green 325is

driving e36 in snow?

hello,
    i'm thinking about daily driving an e36(no ASC) in the winter and i was wondering what would be needed to do so in a safe manner..
    would 2 winter tires in the rear be enough? are brand new all seasons alright? i'm a poor student and i'm trying to get the best for my money.. what else would need to be done to have a safe drive in the snow since i live in chicago, winters are harsh. i don't think i have LSD.
    (95 325is 5 speed)

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    If I had just 2 winter tires, I'd put them in the front for braking and steering..
    I used to own an E36 specifically to keep my E30s from the snow, and it did the job well (no ASC or LSD either).

Imo, get some 2nd hand winter tires and use them in the winter, if on a budget.
    It's not twice as expensive to own 2 sets of tires, because the other set is not wearing down while stored. Seems obvious, but often overlooked :p
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    95 Boston green 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by 323i E30 View Post
    If I had just 2 winter tires, I'd put them in the front for braking and steering..
    I used to own an E36 specifically to keep my E30s from the snow, and it did the job well (no ASC or LSD either).

Imo, get some 2nd hand winter tires and use them in the winter, if on a budget.
    It's not twice as expensive to own 2 sets of tires, because the other set is not wearing down while stored. Seems obvious, but often overlooked :p
    yeah i was looking fir some used decent ones everyone's asking price is crazy though

My Cars
    95 Boston green 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    ^ You can drive anything with the proper tires and good car control
    true, i'm new to rwd and chicago winters

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Buy 4 cheap 15 inch wheels and put real snow tires on them.

My Cars
    95 Boston green 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    i was looking all last night

My Cars
    1997 540i, 2012 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    +1. snows on all 4 corners and it'll go thru anything. All season NOT good enough,,,

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Yes, the only way to reasonable go though winter where it snows more than once per year is to get some real snow tires, preferably on all 4 wheels.
    The past 3 winters I drove an e39 M5 with good winter tires on it, it has LSD but I always turned traction control off. I could go any where I wanted until the snow got up to about 10 inches deep.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    95 Boston green 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    Yes, the only way to reasonable go though winter where it snows more than once per year is to get some real snow tires, preferably on all 4 wheels.
    The past 3 winters I drove an e39 M5 with good winter tires on it, it has LSD but I always turned traction control off. I could go any where I wanted until the snow got up to about 10 inches deep.
    e39s are heavier so that may be somthing to think about

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Snow tires + 2 extra wheels in the trunk and I drove my e36 right around stuck SUVs. It would do 6 or 7 inches of the powdery stuff easily ... wet or deeper snow was a no go as the ground clearance starts to be a problem for the car to shove with the front bumper ...

image hosting adult

free picture hosting

My Cars
    95 Boston green 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    Snow tires + 2 extra wheels in the trunk and I drove my e36 right around stuck SUVs. It would do 6 or 7 inches of the powdery stuff easily ... wet or deeper snow was a no go as the ground clearance starts to be a problem for the car to shove with the front bumper ...

image hosting adult

free picture hosting
    did you do anything about the rust proofing ?

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by e36 omar View Post
    did you do anything about the rust proofing ?
    Not really, just tried to get the undercarriage and wheelwells washed as soon as it got above freezing. Keep in mind we don't get the amounts you guys up north do, but the snowfalls typically weren't a problem. I can think of one instance in the 5 years I owned where I couldn't go somewhere in it and that's when it snowed 15 inches in about 5 hrs, so obviously even bigger cars had problems. I stayed inside with a nice cup of coffee lol.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    i'm a poor student and i'm trying to get the best for my money...
    I'd recommend either public transportation or a set of cables.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    95 Boston green 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    I'd recommend either public transportation or a set of cables.
    cables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I think he's referring to snow chains; which are now cables and not actual chains anymore...everyone is giving you great advice; it all depends on the overall budget. It may be worth investing in snow tires in general if you're going to be in IL for quite some time and biting the built on cost; as you'll use them seasonally. If that's not an option and you only have 2 tires to work with; use them on the front for braking as a member suggested. Just my 2 cents....good luck and stay safe man!

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    cables?

If clearance is really tight, there are also snow socks.

My point being that OP says he's on a budget. Sure, it's inconvenient to have to put stuff on and take it off, but it's a cheaper solution than buying a set of anything and paying to have them put on your wheels. As a student, I'm sure public transportation must go to where ever OP's school is, so this is also a cheap option. Now, if OP is talking about trips on the weekends, then this is where the cables/chains/socks come in.

My Cars
    95 Boston green 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    I think he's referring to snow chains; which are now cables and not actual chains anymore...everyone is giving you great advice; it all depends on the overall budget. It may be worth investing in snow tires in general if you're going to be in IL for quite some time and biting the built on cost; as you'll use them seasonally. If that's not an option and you only have 2 tires to work with; use them on the front for braking as a member suggested. Just my 2 cents....good luck and stay safe man!

-Dmitry
    thanks bro will do im lookign at a set of tires

My Cars
    95 Boston green 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    Your life (and prob car too) is well worth a couple hundred bucks man.
    if i didn't have tires i wouldn't even drive the car in the first place lol

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    25 years of New England driving. Used studded snows. Never used chains or cables. I have heard they work well but are not a put on and leave for 4 months solution. You install and remove as needed. You dont go 70 mph in dry weather with them. Dont go fast in snow with them either. They are more of an emergency or limited use item to get through a storm. If its that bad, I dont have ground clearance to go anywhere anyways, and I dont have to drive over any mountain passes. We run 4 snows in winter on my wife's 535xit so if there is 12 inches of unplowed snow, that is what I drive. The 99M3 and 08M3 also have 4 snows but are lowered and 6 inches is their limit.

My Cars
    2008 328xi
    Chains or cables are only good when the snow on the road is over an inch deep and you don't go past 30 mph....running them on dry roads will eat them up in a few miles and when they brake then you have a flail beating on everything inside and outside your wheel well including your brake line.

Don't use chains or cables if you care for the car because it's not a matter of if they will brake ....it's when

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Saii View Post
    Don't use chains or cables if you care for the car because it's not a matter of if they will brake ....it's when
    Ok, so, this is totally not what OP is asking about as the question was about budget ways to get around in the snow.

There are mountain passes where cables or chains are required during the winter. I would hope that anyone using cables/chains would know that they are not a "put on in the fall, take off in the spring" option. I have left chains on my car when I've been in conditions that warranted them for several days on end. If you live in an area that has dry roads, you shouldn't put them on at all. Chains are for packed or deep snow.

My Cars
    2008 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Ok, so, this is totally not what OP is asking about as the question was about budget ways to get around in the snow.

There are mountain passes where cables or chains are required during the winter. I would hope that anyone using cables/chains would know that they are not a "put on in the fall, take off in the spring" option. I have left chains on my car when I've been in conditions that warranted them for several days on end. If you live in an area that has dry roads, you shouldn't put them on at all. Chains are for packed or deep snow.
    Yea I misunderstood the question..Useing the sock type is awesome and better in my opinion when chains are required they have more contact....I seen them work better on ice than chains...every day winter driving buy some cheap snow tires....I seen a set on eBay for less than 100 for 2 new ones

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Saii; 10-20-2016 at 07:32 PM.

My Cars
    1992 galant vr4,95 M3
    Cheap snow tires and you'll be fine. I haven't had any issues yet with me 328 sedan and the winters are pretty harsh here in Maine

My Cars
    95 Boston green 325is
    i just got some bridgestone blizzaks for cheap from some guy i know (240) but they are 205/50/r16 and my wheels take 225/50/r16. will i have any problems mounting the tire in the rim?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You will be fine. Narrower is better in snow though really stretched tires are not. What is the rim width?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast