Thread: Thoughts on collectability?

My Cars
    '02 540iT; '12 535xi;

Thoughts on collectability?

This is NOT a for sale post so please don't delete it! I'd really like to hear some opinions on this topic. Since I've recently added a nice e61 to my stable as my daily driver, I'm trying to decide if I should keep-store-and-maintain my cherished '02 540iT as an investment vehicle or sell it off now as a declining asset. I have garage space where I can keep it for years to come and it is in very good shape all around, but of course the question arises - are these e39 Tourings going to rise in value/collectibility, or - because of the maintenance needed and a general public dislike of "wagons" - fall off the face of the earth in 10 years? Obviously, the '03 M-Tech packaged one's are already collectible, but what about the rest of the 540iT's? Scanning all the ads accross the country, there's barely a dozen for sale at any one time which speaks to their rareness, but they're just not flying off the lots, even at rediculously low (under $6k) prices, in good shape with relatively low (under 150k) miles. Many of them sit unsold, for many months - sometimes up to a year or more. However, those of us who have them just absolutely love them and it seems not worth it to sell for "market value" now. Will our kids thank us for the heirloom one day or curse us for the boat anchor they need to dispose of?

Go...
    Jerry Daily Driver: 2002 (e39) 540i Touring; Weekenders: 2014 Mustang GT/CS; Harley Dyna Wide Glide.
    Prior: 2012 (f10) 535i x-drive; 2006 (e60) 530xi 6mt; 1999 (e39) 528i 5mt; 1998 (e39) 528i 5mt.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Low miles M-sport 03 wagons are the only ones worth it IMO. Maybe an individual if its super well spec'd out.

Drive the rest, sell it if you dont need it.

2001 540it Black/Black --- 2006 M3 Competition Pkg Black/Black
    **FOR SALE - E39 DINAN 540I 4" intake and filter - gently used PM ME for details.

My Cars
    are slow
    E39s are not collectible, the only car non-enthusiasts care about is the M5.

Tourings command a small premium to enthusiasts, but this doesn't have a six speed that could push to high-mileage M5 prices. M-Sports are only being held onto by the people who think they're worth something.
    Last edited by XAlt; 10-14-2016 at 11:27 AM.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Hate to say it, even the M-Sport wagons are only deemed somewhat collectible to people like us. To the rest of the world, they are just old BMWs. As XAlt say, the only BMW the "world" will ever deem collectible are the true ///M cars like the M5, etc. Unless you hold on to a low mileage Wagon for like 20 - 30 years. At the present time, their values will eventually settle - but not in collectors league. Just my opinion of course.

My Cars
    08 535xit
    tough question. those wagons with sport and navigation are very hard to find and tend to have a higher value, but the others do not. there are only a few people out there looking for these unicorns and snatch them up pretty quickly. even though some versions of the tourings are more rare than M5's, they would not become collectors. the only exception is the one and only e39M5t. maybe the OE M5t clones could hold their value better, but i would not expect they would be collectible.

G~

P.S.- you finally found yourself an e61? you like it?
    E61 Mods: Trailer Hitch/wiring, Cargo cover roller fix, Backup camera, H&R springs, ER charge Pipe, Mishimoto catch can, boost gauge, intake scoop, JB+, CSR Rear Spoiler, Full SAT retrofit.
    Coded: legal disclaimer removal in iDrive, auto folding mirrors on lock, turn signals in HUD, fan speed indicator on when in auto, Doors unlock when key removed

E39 Mods: Euro dash conversion, Dinan exhaust, Dinan suspension with Camber kit, 2.81 differential, flappy paddle with double pull M mode activation/deactivation, backup camera, Video playback on Nav computer (iPod Video for video storage and playback), stereo video playback through DSP, MKIV computer, RPA Tire Pressure retrofit, Intravee II iPod integration, Euro armrest, HUD, Parrot BT, voice recognition module, trailer hitch/wiring, rear mounted 10" subwoofer with amplifier, lighted interior door handles, Evans coolant.

My Cars
    Euro CR E24s + 540iT
    As much as I like the E39 models, I don't see them as collectible cars. IMHO, even the M5 models, although more desirable, will not reach collectible status for a very long time. There are just too many and the models are only 14-15 years old. Probably in another 15-20 years more before they approach lower numbers of availability. Maybe at 30 years old they would be considered the next wanna-have old car. My two cents.
    "Simply looking at a Shark is the same as buying one " - R. Carter
    "I have to stop looking at Sharks" - RokuMado
    In Desire Of: 1985 M635CSi (Alpine White) OR ALPINA Model
    1985 Euro 635CSi CR 5-Spd (Schwartz/Buffalo Anthracite)
    1985 Euro 635CSi CR 5-Spd (Polaris/Napa Schwartz)
    1985 Euro 628CSi Auto(Zobelbraun/Buffalo Nutria)...Rehomed
    2002 540iT Sport Auto (Schwartz/Napa Black)
    2019 740i M Sport (Carbon Black/Napa Black)
    (pics) Nori YumeHimeSaiko

My Cars
    '02 540iT; '12 535xi;
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefin Dude View Post

P.S.- you finally found yourself an e61? you like it?
    Yes! It was a long search though to find exactly what I wanted but finally did in the end. It's an '07 (I wanted an N52, no turbos), Tit-silver/Grey (only better color for me would've been Dark Blue), and LOTS of options (Sport Pkg, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, PDC, Active Cruise Cntl, HUD, Night Vision, Logic7...), 100k miles, excellent condition and solid maintenance. Wife loves it, which is a big ++ (she cursed the e39 for it's "hard" steering and "bumpy" ride). I'd like to chat w/you sometime about your coding and Mods - but this (e39 Touring Forum) probably isn't the place.
    Jerry Daily Driver: 2002 (e39) 540i Touring; Weekenders: 2014 Mustang GT/CS; Harley Dyna Wide Glide.
    Prior: 2012 (f10) 535i x-drive; 2006 (e60) 530xi 6mt; 1999 (e39) 528i 5mt; 1998 (e39) 528i 5mt.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I think any car but especially a bmw that has all the right aftermarket upgrades where needed and the right percentage of deviation from bone stock can and do bring big numbers (RAEV34) but picture yourself 15-20 years down the road: if you see a bone stock e39 even with insane low miles it is only going to pique your interest as an oddity but you probably won't buy it.

I'm a fan of the '83-85 porsche 944 but finding one I'd actually want to buy put me in the $20k bracket when there are $800 examples all day long. I won't buy either for A, lack of a spare $20k and B, the lack of a desire to bring the $800 one to all fresh.

Even car enthusiasts whith stables full of cars will see it (stock e39 w/insane low miles) and if they didn't already have one would probably pass.

Think Grand National (the turbo). Rare, cool but still a buick. No 12 year old boy has ever dreamed of owning a buick let alone a wagon. Paying collector money usually comes from an emotional desire to have one "one day" and because the car in question is so rare, adding to that as we get older w/more expendable income.

So, a dialed in, slighty modified (s62/LS 4.6is engine swap, 6-speed, brembos, coilovers, dynavin with a nice sound system upgrade, clean interior, clean carfax, lsd, performance additions NOT from China, dinan parts, forced air, spoiler, m-tech bumpers, lsd, great paint and body...)
    This in a car 100 years from now if you can find gas or convert it to a Mr. Fussion compatable vehicle, I'd be motivated to have that, collectable, no but desirable as hell. The opposite of the Grand National. You'll want to drive it because it's cool not keep it behind glass because it's a rare model.

I'm prattling, sorry. I know nothing but I get a feeling these will be "collectable" only if the buyer has all the other versions of the e39 and lots of other bmw's. There are such people. Or if BMW totally drops the fun factor from the future lineup of offerings.

That being said, as long as there's gas and people throwing $30k into their passion, yes you could sell one in the future for "happy money" but I don't believe it'll ever hit Lamborghini Countach status.

Perfect example would be the "Singer 911 porsche" not stock but better in every way and in my view, worth every penny. Not collectable at all but I'd kick a puppy to have one.

I'm NEVER selling mine. I'll have a cool casket though.

In all honesty, I'm just filling space till GG gets in here and drops the Science hammer.

[no puppies were injured during the thumb typing that led to this nonsensical bs]
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 10-14-2016 at 10:20 PM.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Give it thirty years and someone will want it. Just seen a lime green Duster go for like 25k a couple weeks ago.
    In 1990 who thought a Duster would be worth anything. Just takes time.Lots and lots and lots and lots of time.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Beautiful car but it will never be a collectible

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    M-Sports are only being held onto by the only people who think they're worth something.
    One of your 2% knowledge bombs X-O. Second "only" is my add but I presume that's what you meant and if so I agree entirely 200%.

Here's the thing - give em 30 years - sure they'll be collectible then. Anything that old is collectible. Lookit Brandos slow ass tin can POS 4 door green Datsun. For decades that was a slow ass cheap Jap car in an ugly color and a stupid 4-door to boot so who the hell would want it maybe you can get $300 for it if yer lucky. But look at it now. We all want it.

But it's a long hold before we get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    I think any car but especially a bmw that has all the right aftermarket upgrades where needed and the right percentage of deviation from bone stock can and do bring big numbers (RAEV34) but picture yourself 15-20 years down the road: if you see a bone stock e39 even with insane low miles it is only going to pique your interest as an oddity but you probably won't buy it.
    Well actually once cars get old , modifications tend to be an "all or nothing" value modifier. The older and rarer cars get the more the few remaining buyers want a clean unmolested example so they can either keep it that way or ensure mods are done pristinely, by them, the way they want.

Sure the occasional super nice build can go for a premium but the longer time goes by the more "moderate mods" may turn into liabilities. Think E30 M3 or Porsche 930. An untouched will get far more than a functionally better modded one every day of the week, unless the modded one really really tips the scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    I'm just filling space till GG gets in here and drops the Science hammer.

[no puppies were injured during the thumb typing that led to this nonsensical bs]
    It's a Science cordless compact screwdriver today.
    Misplaced the hammer. Probably dropped it in the yard where I was smacking puppies with it.

{cruel JK, I loves the puppies more than most humans}

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Give it thirty years and someone will want it. Just seen a lime green Duster go for like 25k a couple weeks ago.
    In 1990 who thought a Duster would be worth anything. Just takes time.Lots and lots and lots and lots of time.
    Exacte
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '02 540iT; '12 535xi;
    Thanks everybody for all the great thoughts and insight on this. I'll be sure to update my signature with pictures of my other e39 Touring when this one is gone.

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    Boy, can I ever disagree with 99% of the responses on these E 39 wagons. I come from a long line of collector cars owned, coins, gold, silver, expensive art, collectibles, comic books, etc, etc, a buyer of antiques for over 45 yrs. Have had the holy grail of cars with a list too long to list. These will be 100% collectible for the rare of the rare pristine examples with low miles, most noted the 03s. Pristine examples are the only ones that will hit lofty prices and be sought after because of how rare they actually are. All the cars "everyone" is doing mods too will be a specialty market and not see much increase except for the more tastefully done cars. The bottom is going to fall out on all the cars with black rims colored rims, and the bulk of hideous rims so many put on their cars. That is one long list...and a perfect place to say to each his own. The term collectibility is a broad term, clean low miles, original cars will definitely bring a premium, beaten cars will find people that want one to play with, and modded cars with LS motors well done will also command high prices. Cars run in cycles the thing about these wagons they are only 14 years old at this point...and that is not an old car...wait a bit longer you will see the prices climb to a point this conversation will turn into wish I would have bought when they seemed cheap. It's a design people already love, in time it's going to become a must-have wagon...look at the VW bus bringing $100K+, when 15 yrs ago you could have bought one for $15K, Ferraris going thru the roof, BMW 635s now on the rise, old muscle cars. I sold a pristine 1970 SS396 Chevelle all original 54K miles in 1994 for $7500, that same car condition today is $35K. I sold same year a 1955 Nomad extremly clean for $9K, that same car is $45K today, modded its $100K...these wagon in another 10 years will be a solid $35K+ for original pristine low miles example all day long, and that will actually be cheap. Best cars will be closer to $45K +and be a "I remember when car"...
    Last edited by SCRSUVS; 11-12-2017 at 08:10 AM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by SCRSUVS View Post
    Boy, can I ever disagree with 99% of the responses on these E 39 wagons
    that's completely confused. you say you disagree with 99% of what was said but then 99% of what you proceed to say is basically things which have been said already.

point already made that 'the pristine ones' will be the ones really be worth anything significant.
    point already made that only the good/major/notable modded cars are going to be worth anything, and that the cheezyrat mods are actually value destroyers aka 'bottom fall out' as you say.
    point already made 'cars run in cycles... not an old car... wait a bit longer...'
    you fall back hard on the 'just wait a while' argument, but then quote cars that are 50-65 years old as your examples... and... "wait long enough and of course they'll be collectible" point has already been made.

all your points are fine actually and pretty much completely aligned exactly to what myself and others have said, except you seem to think you're the great contrarian and have busted out a super crazy hot take. you pretty much just said everything that's already been said, although clearly you have a big boner for how expensive they'll be in 20 more years. Sure, fine, like I said... wait long enough and everythings an antique and the few survivors will be worth a fortune... in the meantime the rest of us are sitting here in the real world waiting for the years to tick by.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    that's completely confused. you say you disagree with 99% of what was said but then 99% of what you proceed to say is basically things which have been said already.

point already made that 'the pristine ones' will be the ones really be worth anything significant.
    point already made that only the good/major/notable modded cars are going to be worth anything, and that the cheezyrat mods are actually value destroyers aka 'bottom fall out' as you say.
    point already made 'cars run in cycles... not an old car... wait a bit longer...'
    you fall back hard on the 'just wait a while' argument, but then quote cars that are 50-65 years old as your examples... and... "wait long enough and of course they'll be collectible" point has already been made.

all your points are fine actually and pretty much completely aligned exactly to what myself and others have said, except you seem to think you're the great contrarian and have busted out a super crazy hot take. you pretty much just said everything that's already been said, although clearly, you have a big boner for how expensive they'll be in 20 more years. Sure, fine, like I said... wait long enough and everythings an antique and the few survivors will be worth a fortune... in the meantime the rest of us are sitting here in the real world waiting for the years to tick by.
    You don't like to be wrong, do you? I do have a boner for these cars, highly undervalued its only a matter of time, like many said, but we must be reading two different postings, reread there are 11 responses, most all saying the M5, that is close to a given, the 39 wagon there are 6 responses saying no. These low mile wagons in original condition are already few and far between, many with 100K + all day long, most cars fit in the 20 years cycle, and I do have a super hot take it comes from many years of watching the market on cars id like to have on my list. Its a car that is fun to drive, fun to own, well made, wagons get a mini van look, so people tend to drive the s%%# out of them partly because it is so fun many think it will never be really worth much. That alone will drive the prices in the future. Most people don't buy to save, they buy to drive. Very few put into a garage to bring out someday selling for $75K down the road, these wagons will be on the list. If you reread the bulk of the posts most clearly say NO. Hard on for the car, I do, have a crystal ball, I do, love the car, low miles, pristine example, high on my list and looking daily. As a collectible in the future best ones yes, the best examples are even now highly underrated. At only 14 years old the next 10 years will add some great value. And sorry if you're not happy with having to read points already made...there's always someone that complains...my point is buying if you love the car, have the money, can afford an immaculate condition wagon if it's on your list, collectiablityis never on my list but immaculate rare cars are. I don't give a s$%^ about the M5 sedan, but the E 39 wagon is a horse of a different color, and uninteniteally it will become more of a classic.
    Last edited by SCRSUVS; 11-13-2017 at 05:51 AM.

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    I've been watching Bring a Trailer and M5s are now going for big money. I realize some of these posts are about a year old but $25K and up is big money. I remember when 308 Ferraris were $25 - $27K. I wonder what a low mileage, clean wagon would bring on that website?

My Cars
    04' 330xi
    imo the only ones that are "collectable" are the 03' M Tech's, with there only being 182 imported. however, 39er wagons are rare. with that being said, they are only sought after by enthusiasts really. i don't seem them shooting up in value, but i also don't see the prices getting too much lower. they're kind of at a floor right now. a lot of old BMWs are. i guess it's also dependent on the car too. specs, colors, mods, ect. but for a regular 39er wagon i would say someone could buy it, drive it, maintain it, and sell it for just about what they paid for it. almost, if not all of the depreciation has already been done. ultimately, you decide.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5

Smile

We are at the bottom of the depreciation scale on our cars. Any increase in value due to enthusiast interest is up. Collectors are not jumping for 6 banger sport wagons or 540 sedans or even anything that is not a M5 and most of that interest is from former M5 owners who are seeking a second run on to bring back the feelings from the ones that were driven into high mileage and sold off.

Meanwhile, I am still enjoying the drive of "my old E39s".
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    97 528i
    Right-O StephenVA !! Shoot....I bet mine is 1 of 1 in the US...but I don't see that adding much of any value at this stage of the game, or later on really. Maybe I'm just dumb.

Should I hang on to it for 30 years to see if it becomes a sought after, uber valuable car..? hell...who knows...meanwhile, I'm simply gonna enjoy it.
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0