Thread: Brake lights TURN ON when I turn OFF the car and stay on until the battery dies.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530i

Lightbulb Brake lights TURN ON when I turn OFF the car and stay on until the battery dies.

Hello all, This is my first BMW so i am not at all familiar with the typical problems bmw owners face. I recently bought a 2004 bmw 530i e60 and it drove fine for a few weeks. I do drive it rarely maybe once a week or two because I drive my motorcycle as my primary commuting vehicle.

Two days ago i went for a ride at night and noticed my brake lights on when i got home i turned the car off took the keys out and set alarm and got confirmation "beep" the brake lights stayed on I thought they would shut off on their own but never did. Itried today charged my battery and turned car on the brake lights went off i drove around fine i got a seat belt message in idrive turned off car and turned back on to see if battery charge kept and it did.

I continued driving and everything worked fine. i got back to my garage as soon as i turn off car brake lights come on and stay on. I read somewhere to disconnnect battery for 24-36 hours I am doing that now. i want to note that the brakelights do not stay on when the car is running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    2007 750i BMW; 2003 Z4 3.0 BMW; 2002 Lexus LS430;

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530i
    Thanks GeorgeT for the tip i will replace this tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530i

Replaced part

Quote Originally Posted by rmaazar View Post
    Thanks GeorgeT for the tip i will replace this tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
    I just swapped out the switch and the issue persists. I also then unplugged the switch completely and the brake lights were still on with the car off.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530i
    So after going back and looking at the new switch it turns out I had pushed it too far and when I set it in place which was actually holding the brake pedal back so I popped it out and put it back in and now everything works the way it's supposed to be. So it was the stop light switch thank you so much GeorgeT. I hope this also helps others.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530i
    Spoke to soon it appears. Drove it and the problem came back. All three brake lights and only the brake lights stay on when I turn off the car. When the car is running all lights work fine I am getting a seat belt tensioner message intermittently. autozone said it sounds like the ignition switch. Is that possible?? Is it worth a try or completely outside the scope??

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530i
    So i took the car to BMW and after three weeks they said it has a bad CAS and after replacing the CAS now they said the DME needs to be replaced something about a code 15. I took the car home rather than jsut keep paying to replace parts and it still have the issue. I do see a fluid wicking through the harnesses going into the DME enclosure. I will start trying to find the source of this fluid this weekend any thoughts on where to start?

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530i
    20161117_110004.jpg20161117_110018.jpgtook apart dme and can see where the oil is luckily there doesnt appear to be any on circuit board doesnt mean something didnt get fried i know. Any ideas on the best ways to clean these pins so that i can get them clean and dry?

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530xi
    Electrical contact cleaner and a can of spray air is probably your best bet here!

My Cars
    2007 BMW E60 525i
    Hi, I know that this post is like 5years old. I am facing the same problem. May I know did you solve the problem at last? If so, may I know what is the source of the problem? This problem has been around for too long. I suspect the ignition key problem since if the problem occur (the brake light is on when I pull out the keyless key). I need to reinsert the key and pull out the keyless key from its slot many times before the rear brake light switched off. I also noticed there's a crackling sound coming from the rear bonnet at the battery compartment when I pull out the key.

My Cars
    E63 650i LCI / E39 523i
    Hi friend, I am having the exact same problem. Did you find any solution?
    Quote Originally Posted by garfy87 View Post
    Hi, I know that this post is like 5years old. I am facing the same problem. May I know did you solve the problem at last? If so, may I know what is the source of the problem? This problem has been around for too long. I suspect the ignition key problem since if the problem occur (the brake light is on when I pull out the keyless key). I need to reinsert the key and pull out the keyless key from its slot many times before the rear brake light switched off. I also noticed there's a crackling sound coming from the rear bonnet at the battery compartment when I pull out the key.

My Cars
    BMW 528i
    What do I have to do to get the answer to this question my brake lights come on and stay on when I turn the car off and take out the key please tell the right cause

My Cars
    2008 528xi
    It appears they disconnect battery, unplugged DME, cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner and put it back together. See thread above with picture.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i

Same question

Quote Originally Posted by garfy87 View Post
    Did you ever find a solution? My 2008 535i is doing the exact same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you ever find a solution? My 2008 535i is doing the same thing.