Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E46 Mk4 Nav - Add Bluetooth Audio streaming w/text display?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2

E46 Mk4 Nav - Add Bluetooth Audio streaming w/text display?

I'm picking up an E46 M3 this weekend and it's equipped with the stock Mk4 navigation and HK audio. I really don't care for any of the aftermarket Chinese navigation upgrades (*****, Dynavin, etc) and I refuse to go with a "regular" 2-DIN solution as they look awful in the dash. I'm really okay with keeping the stock nav unit, running the latest maps in it, and largely not using it anyway.

So then. I need to add Bluetooth for the sake of music streaming. Looks like Grom is a favorite for that?

Ideally, I want the ability to see song title on the radio display, and control next/previous track with the steering wheel buttons. Will be using an Android phone and streaming from the Spotify app.

The car is a 2006, I know wiring changed a bit around 2002 if that matters at all.

Thanks!
    2011 F-150 FX4 | 1997 BMW M3 #404 GTS2 | 2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

I'm 98% certain that you'll not be able to have the song title/artist info etc display on the oem monitor when using a Bluetooth source via an interface. Things might've changed recently but I doubt it as the Bluetooth Audio streaming profile doesn't support character streaming. I don't tend to keep up with what interfaces and their functions work with the oem setup, so perhaps someone does know more/differently.

The options you have are;

1. Get a GROM, Dension, DICE interface unit with Bluetooth and wire that in so you can stream from your smartphone to it.
    2. Have your oem amplifier module modified to have a Bluetooth solution wired in. Only place I know that does this is here - http://www.carphonics.co.uk/ I know the owner and can 100% vouch for him. The downside for you is that you'll need to pay for the shipping to and from the UK, but the good thing is currently the USA/Pound Sterling rate is very much in your favour !

I know you've currently dismissed the high quality double DIN option for the aesthetics reason, which is fair enough. Just wanted to post these pics for you and show that going this route can look pretty decent;

I use the above head unit, a Parrot Asteroid Smart in my E39 and the same idea as you for when I want to listen to the radio - I use the TuneIn app on my Android phone and stream directly to the unit - so no extra boxes to install.

Cheers, Dennis!

Quote Originally Posted by Brake_L8 View Post
    I'm picking up an E46 M3 this weekend and it's equipped with the stock Mk4 navigation and HK audio. I really don't care for any of the aftermarket Chinese navigation upgrades (*****, Dynavin, etc) and I refuse to go with a "regular" 2-DIN solution as they look awful in the dash. I'm really okay with keeping the stock nav unit, running the latest maps in it, and largely not using it anyway.

So then. I need to add Bluetooth for the sake of music streaming. Looks like Grom is a favorite for that?

Ideally, I want the ability to see song title on the radio display, and control next/previous track with the steering wheel buttons. Will be using an Android phone and streaming from the Spotify app.

The car is a 2006, I know wiring changed a bit around 2002 if that matters at all.

Thanks!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Thanks, Dennis. I really don't want to do a 2-din install though.

The Bluetooth protocols definitely support text as my Ford truck will show song/artist/album, and many other cars I've been in with stock and aftermarket solutions for A2DP have displayed it as well.
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

That's the reason I mentioned the '98%' but! I'm sure I've read 'something' somewhere about this function but in my mind currently it's with 'recent' OEM audio solutions and possibly features of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Apologies for being a bit vague there !

However, back with the E46, I'll stick with that 98% figure in that there's no interface unit that'll display the information you want via Bluetooth. If you do find something, then i'll update my brain cell for it !

The nearest I can think of will be the Intravee 2 and Alpine KCA-420i interface solution as favoured by many E46/E39/E53/E38 and others owners. This interface allows you to connect an iPod and that in turn shows track title/artist info on the OEM monitor and you can use the cars audio/steering wheel control buttons. However this solution isn't capable of Bluetooth and/or streaming so it's not going to be an option for you.

Quick question - what would it take for you to consider/actually fit a double DIN shallow depth unit like the above?! would be interesting to get your thoughts !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Quick question - what would it take for you to consider/actually fit a double DIN shallow depth unit like the above?! would be interesting to get your thoughts !
    It won't happen, I really dislike the look of a standard 2-din with dash kit in these cars. They look very out of place. I'd be fine with one of the Dynavin-esque solutions but they are expensive, generally regarded as "mixed" in the reliability and quality departments, and frankly too fancy for this being a "daily beater" sort of car that only needs to stream music. If I cared about having quality navigation and Bluetooth phone call support, I'd consider one of those.
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    08 Accord :(
    Hey wasup
    Ive installed radios and done audio upgrades in quite a few vehicles as it is my part time job and there are very few single din radios that look good in older bimmers. The only ones ive installed that actually dont look out of place is either a pioneer 80prs or Sony's newest $1400 head unit. I have yet to do a bluetooth text oem display integration in a bmw so I cant tell you if it actually works. Honestly if it were any brand that it wouldnt work with it would be bmw (or porsche, but theyre a different animal).

Good luck though!
    -Jacob

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Update: I ended up going with the Grom BT3 Bluetooth adapter.

Very easy install using the CD changer plugs in the trunk. I had to reach out to their support as the "source" screen was the only thing I could see on my head unit - couldn't use the nav or any menus. They had me download a new configuration file and upload it to the unit via MicroSD and that solved the issue. Sound is great, no complaints for $130. I don't see song title on the display, but it shows maps full-time so that doesn't bother me much.
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    14 F01 750i 14 F10 550i
    Are you saying that when streaming your screen defaults to GPS? I returned the BT3 because I could not access other screens when streaming. Seems like you you are implying that this has be sorted via firmware update.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Quote Originally Posted by chris33 View Post
    Are you saying that when streaming your screen defaults to GPS? I returned the BT3 because I could not access other screens when streaming. Seems like you you are implying that this has be sorted via firmware update.
    Yeah, it was stuck on the BT STREAM screen until I did a software tweak to it, which Grom instructed me how to do. Kind of a pain but it works now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    14 F01 750i 14 F10 550i
    Any chance you'd share the firmware update?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    It's silly that you have to do all this futzing with a MicroSD card but this does work. I just bought a MicroSD card to leave in the Grom unit at all times (in case I have to disconnect the battery) so I don't have to steal the one out of my GoPro.

You would have to disable text features for your navigation to stay displayed on the screen.
    To disable the text feature, you would need a FAT formatted MicroSD card to load a couple configuration options onto your GROM unit.

http://www.gromaudio.com/support/ipd3-config.html

Please scroll halfway down the page and locate Select Car Make.
    Click the drop down menu and select BMW 97-06 and you will see options m and x appear in the chart below.
    Check the box to the left of option m and x and you should see m= 0 and x= 3B appear in the Result CONFIG file box below.
    Change x= 3B to x= 0 press enter to have an empty line underneath and click Download config file.
    It would look like:
    m= 0
    x= 0

After downloading the config file, please make sure the filename is: gromipd3.cfg and load it onto a MicroSD card.

Please turn off the vehicle and disconnect the GROM unit from the 20-pin GROM harness.
    Please take off the cover on the GROM-BT3 unit and expose the circuit board.
    Please insert the MicroSD card in the MicroSD card slot on the circuit board.
    Once MicroSD card has been inserted, reconnect the Grom unit and turn on the vehicle.
    Test out your navigation screen in GROM mode with music playing.

Please keep in mind that if the GROM unit loses power, the configuration file will be deleted from the GROM unit.
    That means that every time the GROM unit loses power, you would have to load the config file again.
    Please do not disconnect unit after loading config file.
    Thank you.
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    14 F01 750i 14 F10 550i
    So, I did everything listed in the instructions and there is no change in the behavior of the GROM unit. It still defaults to "BT Streaming" on my nav screen. I guess I should do what you did and contact GROM for technical assistance, but I do thank you for your time.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Make sure your SD card is formatted as FAT32, and that it is fully inserted in the SD card slot on the Grom box. Mine took an extra little push to "click" into place.
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    2010 BMW X3
    Hi Brake_L8,

I have the same situation as you did (with the same MKIV setup) and am about to do the SD card update to the grom-bt3. This is to address the source screen issue. My question is: did you retain steering wheel controls for changing tracks while streaming Bluetooth audio? At the moment I cannot change tracks via the steeeing wheel, and am unsure if the radio needs to be "programed" to allow this to happen. However, I am able to stream music and it sounds great. If you're still on here, I would greatly appreciate your support!

Thank you,

John