Thread: BMW e87 130i M Sport N52B30 195Kw engine light?

My Cars
    1994 BMW e36 318is

BMW e87 130i M Sport N52B30 195Kw engine light?

Hi Guys,
    as there are very few owners of this particular model, not so many threads about this car in general.
    after some research I've set my eyes on this engine spec mainly because of the extra re enforcement BMW has made to the engine to increase it's reliability, also this engine spec was only made for post 2006 e85-86 Z4 3.0 and 2005-2007 e87 130i by memory, they were replaced or modified to fit other models very soon due to the top job they've done.
    anyway I bought 130i just couldn't justify the 7k extra for the z4 both used, only looking at manual transmission here.

now to 130i the previous owner have looked after this baby meticulously doesn't show its age being a 2005 built.
    photos doesn't do it justice I'll get some pro shots in the future.
    top spec most if not all extras. very lucky find and very clean stock example of this beautifully engineered car.

first of many questions, since I got it i always have been wondering why the check engine like don't light up upon start, because I'm used to seeing it light up then turns off after starting on other cars I've owned.
    been constantly thinking about it and thought it might be a blown bulb.

after another graveyard shift, yesterday morning started the engine and the light turned on, something didn't feel right, and it was there to stay.
    I've checked the owners manual, iDrive for any sign or notifications about anything that needed or due all OK, tho engine oil is on the low end but it's within range and shows up green.

same day I contacted the previous owner, wasn't much help and I was blamed for being little too heavy footed.
    it needed fuel so when I fueled her up the light went off!?
    again this morning another graveyard shift on the way back home the light came back on again and it's on constant.
    please help if anyone have experienced similar situation.

please find the image for the car and light.

any help would be super appreciated

thanks
    Sunni

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Have you tried plugging in the car and seeing what codes it throws back at you? Engine check light could be a number of things (as I've learned with my 135i)

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1994 BMW e36 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Have you tried plugging in the car and seeing what codes it throws back at you? Engine check light could be a number of things (as I've learned with my 135i)

-Dmitry
    Thanks Dmitry,
    now call me a noob when it comes to OBC, I don't currently have the tools, had this baby for less than a week and I didn't really gave her a break since I've been driving.

hence I'm here before taking it to the mechanic.
    what were the causes for your issues and were they costly?
    and just for future reference any OBC code reader you would recommend for home diagnosis that's budget friendly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by iSunni View Post
    Thanks Dmitry,
    now call me a noob when it comes to OBC, I don't currently have the tools, had this baby for less than a week and I didn't really gave her a break since I've been driving.

hence I'm here before taking it to the mechanic.
    what were the causes for your issues and were they costly?
    and just for future reference any OBC code reader you would recommend for home diagnosis that's budget friendly?

I had a Restraint System Malfunction fault; after having a bunch of weight on the front passenger seat and a fuse went out underneath the seat belt buckle...nothing mechanical. The other time was a bit more serious after my oil cooling system reservoir cracked a bit. So it can be all over the place from needing to add oil (light has come on for that too) to much more serious things. If you want a reader and something that does a whole lot more for the future, check out the link below. Let me know if I can be of any other help man; that's what we're here for.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg8.htm#item33

-Dmitry
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos

My Cars
    1994 BMW e36 318is
    wow that very broad spectrum for a engine light!
    so an update, I took it to my mechanic and he did a scan 2 codes showed but but as not present.
    from memory 2A9~; 2A8~
    I forgot to take a photo of the scan, little mad at myself for not doing so actually.
    anyway the codes for vanos solenoid and camshaft both are non present so they might have changed in the past or non present. didn't really understand his explanation to be honest. but he cleared he code for me and topped up the engine oil she's set
    lights out and I went for a late night drive along the beach she ran beautiful
    thanks for the help and the link Dmitry

My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    No problem at all man. Glad to be of help and that everything worked out. Shoot me a message if there's anything else that I can help out with.

-Dmitry

My Cars
    1994 BMW e36 318is
    Update
    light came back on again after 2 days of driving., came back straight after the cold start.
    back to the mechanic and this time the one code showed up and I did manage to take a photo of it.
    here we go

we arranged to clean out the Vanos Solenoids and He being a former BMW mechanic mentioned cleaning of the Vanos filters
    (I had no idea about these filters and I don't think filters being talked about at all in any of the forums, they are more difficult to get access to but it's not laborious it's on the out side bolted onto the engine, similar design as Solenoids, filters could be easily mistaken as screws, and it's interchangeable between them.

used some heavy duty degreaser cleaned both out and back.

moving on to Vanos Solenoids,
    now at this point I was interrupted with a phone call so I wasn't there to see what my mechanic did to both Solenoids, by the time I came back the cleaning process was done which was surprising fast compared to the time took to cleaning the filters.
    anyway got my chance to take a quick snap on the solenoid.

he said Solenoids cleaned and are changed when refit them intake to exhaust and vice versa. cleared the code and now it's all waiting game either the code comes back we will need to get myself a new pair of Solenoids or hopefully I bought just enough time to save up a little more until next service to change it then.