Thread: Dashboard Christmas Tree (ABS Trifecta?)

My Cars
    2006 Black BMW E90 330i

Dashboard Christmas Tree (ABS Trifecta?)

About a month ago, I was driving on a trip at night when all of a sudden my ABS, DSC, and Brake (yellow) lights all came on. A few seconds later all was normal. Then, it came back on again. This went on and off a few more times before staying on. I got to my hotel and turned the car off and then back on again. The lights did not come back on. However, my clock and mileage were both reset (like I lost battery power). That night I did some research and stumbled upon the "ABS/DSC/Brake Trifecta" and my symptoms led me to believe I was most likely experiencing this issue. Common causes include:

- Bad ABS pump/module (expensive AF to fix)
    - Bad wheel speed sensor (there are two, one for each axle)
    - Bad steering angle sensor
    - Bad battery (low voltage)

I knew the battery was good (just replaced it), but for good measure I took the multimeter out and measured the voltage (12.8V with everything off, 12.4V with headlights and radio on, and ~14V while charging). I also double-checked in the trunk to make sure nothing was loose. All good. I also pulled the codes, but nothing came up on INPA. I decided that since the lights never came back on afterwards, that I would wait it out. That was a month ago...

Just earlier today, I was driving some twisty backroads when the same thing happened. Same symptoms as above. Just cruising along with radio on and windows up (no AC, just fan) when suddenly my car started freaking out. First, the traction control disabled message popped up and my brake and DSC lights lite up (no ABS). Then it went away. Less than a minute later the same message popped up and the lights were on again. This happens for about a few minutes or so, on and off. Then it gets worse. The next slew of problems came with the above, but this time the ABS light comes on too along with the speedometer going to zero (was traveling at 40-50 mph) before shooting back up. The radio also stops playing for a split second before resuming. (It's like the car's computer freezing for a second and everything dies for a split second, but the engine still runs.) The next slew of problems forced me to pull over and stop. After ABS, DTC, and brake coming on and off a few times, the transmission "cog" error (in red) pops up and I cannot shift (stuck in 2nd...which was the gear I was in while the error occurred). The engine RPM is also fluctuating like crazy. Enough was enough and I flicked the hazards on and pulled over to the side of the road. Once stopped I turned the car off. Wait a second and then turn it back on. It starts normally and the Christmas tree of errors are now gone. Like last time, my trip computer was reset to zero and I had to reset my clock. I drove the car the 60 miles or so home with no issues.

Tl;dr, here are my symptoms:

1. )Traction control and brake lights come on and off intermittently (this occurs a few times)
    2.) Traction control, brake, and ABS lights now all come on
    2a.) When (2) occurs, the speedometer drops to zero for a second before going back to normal
    2b.) Also when (2) occurs, the radio (speakers) stop playing for a second before resuming
    3.) After (2) occurring a few times, transmission "cog" error comes on and stuck in second gear (current gear when errors appears) and engine RPM fluctuating
    4.) Pulled over after (3) occurs and turn off car
    5.) Turned car back on and all errors gone, but have to reset clock and trip computer is reset to zero

Once I got home, I put the car on INPA to pull the codes and there are exactly zero. I am at a lost at to what to do next...any suggestions? Steering angle sensor? Bad wheel sensor? ABS module/pump? I wish I knew, but since there are no codes...Should I take the car to the shop? I kind of want to get to the bottom of this ASAP as I do not want to be left stranded if this gets any worse!

Notes:
    - 2006 BMW E90 330i 6AT
    - Car currently has 131xxx miles on it
    - I've owned the car for 1.5 years (put about 20k on the clock)
    - Battery and starter were replaced a year ago (battery is AutoCraft Platinum AGM H8 850 CCA...was programmed accordingly)
    - Car is stock minus a few mods, mostly cosmetic (listed below)
    - Mods: LED angel eyes, Daeos Vista harness (for DRL), LED interiors and license plate lights, direct wire radar detector and dashcam using "add a circuit" on HomeLink fuse

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    First of all the one thing I would check is to see if the battery cable to fuse box recall assuming it
    pertained to this car
    and was not done if that is the case.

I have never seen a case of all these other things coming up with the ABS failure except the DSC and Brake light. Of course you have no cruise control but that would be about it.

I know this might seem odd but BMWs don't do well to add on's. I have seen cases of the car going haywire with just an amp added or other after market systems.
    I would be sure there is no way you have anything in the fuse path that can effect the other systems.
    The steering sensor and ABS pulse wheels should not cause any of those issues.
    The fact INPA shows no codes leads me to believe there is a connection issue. I have read where the ignition switch connector causes issues like yours and so does the battery cable which there is a recall for.
    All I know hope it helps...
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    2006 Black BMW E90 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
    First of all the one thing I would check is to see if the battery cable to fuse box recall assuming it
    pertained to this car
    and was not done if that is the case.

I have never seen a case of all these other things coming up with the ABS failure except the DSC and Brake light. Of course you have no cruise control but that would be about it.

I know this might seem odd but BMWs don't do well to add on's. I have seen cases of the car going haywire with just an amp added or other after market systems.
    I would be sure there is no way you have anything in the fuse path that can effect the other systems.
    The steering sensor and ABS pulse wheels should not cause any of those issues.
    The fact INPA shows no codes leads me to believe there is a connection issue. I have read where the ignition switch connector causes issues like yours and so does the battery cable which there is a recall for.
    All I know hope it helps...
    My car does not seem to be affected (05/2005 build date): http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804545

I was afraid of that...I am seriously doubting that a "add a circuit" on the homelink fuse could cause all of this, but like you said...BMWs are temperamental to a fault. I'm going to keep an eye on it. I'm thinking it might be an alternator going bad...we'll see.

My Cars
    325I
    did you ever find out what was wrong with your car? My bmw 325I is doing the exact same thing. UGH

My Cars
    325I
    The problem ended up being a loose battery cable.