Thread: Why no NASA in New England?

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30

Why no NASA in New England?

I live in Boston and have always been bummed that there are no NASA events in the New England area. NASA NE runs up to Watkins Glen and Lime Rock, but seems to hover mostly around NJMP which is a little far. (6 hrs at 2am, 12hrs with real life traffic, I've done it)

We have excellent tracks up here: Palmer, Thompson, NHMS, all within two hours, Lime Rock at 3 hours, Watkins Glen 6 hours. Why no NASA love? I currently run and do TTs with COMSCC which is great (great club, actually), but I'd like to do some NASA TTs as well.

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    I ran with nasa at palmer in july. I know they just did a friday at limerock too

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Here's the 2016 TT schedule:

Event 1: Apr 15-17 NJMP Lighting Course – All HPDE / TT / Race
    Event 2: May 20-21 NJMP Lightning – Race / TT
    Event 3: Jun 17-19 NJMP Thunderbolt – All HPDE / TT / Race
    Event 4: Jul 22-24 Palmer – All HPDE / TT / Race
    Event 5: Aug 29-30 Watkins Glen – HPDE and TT
    Event 6: Sep 22-25 Watkins Glen – NASA East States Championships
    Event 7: Oct 14-16 NJMP Thunderbolt – All HPDE / TT / Race

Pretty NJMP centric. I might do the Palmer event next year, but its sort of a pain to get licensed for one event a year. Maybe two if I do a WGI with NASA instead of my normal club, COMSCC.

They should at least trade one NJMP date for another Palmer date. Maybe another for a Thompson which is closer to NJ than Palmer.

My point is as Northeast, they should cover more of the northeast. NJMP is practically MidAtlantic territory. Four years ago, there wasn't much up here besides NHMS, which wouldn't be worth the drive. Now days, we're blowing up with tracks. Palmer, Thompson, and next year Club Motorsport in NH is opening up. That'll make three new tracks in four years up here.

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    Ya I hear ya. Ive not made the 6hr trek to njmp myself, for that kindof distance id rather check out other tracks. Im sure ill get there eventually but I'm in no hurry.

Interested to see what sanctions Club Motorsports will be open too, the place looks awesome.

Not sure how far you are from syracuse, but there is supposedly a new road course opening there next year as well.

Heres their website

http://www.centralnyracewaypark.com

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    I think the problem is NASA is a for profit franchise and this franchise is based in NJ.

NASA NE was born out of a for profit track day driving club called PDA (Performance Drivers Association) which was based out of one of the co-owners speed shop in NJ.
    A lot of the members of the PDA club is what formed the nucleus of NASA NE when the owners bought in to the NASA program and transitioned out of PDA and into NASA.
    In that light that it is a for profit franchise more than a club (like we think of BMWCCA and SCCA, COM and so on) they do tend to center a lot of their events nearest their core membership.

What NE needs is someone to open a New England franchise. I'm not sure how NASA works or what radius they promise to chapters but with Palmer, NHIS and Thompson I'll bet it could stand.
    I dunno if its that simple, I know that I know nothing about the finances of a NASA franchise except,,, well there needs to be positive finances, its not like NFP "club".
    Last edited by jimmypet; 10-09-2016 at 10:44 PM.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Looks like NASA NE dropped Palmer from the schedule this year. Bummer for me, bummer for you.

My Cars
    03.5 CB M3, 99 TiAg M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Looks like NASA NE dropped Palmer from the schedule this year. Bummer for me, bummer for you.
    Hey, there is the UNMUFFLED Lime Rock event in the summer

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    Ya pretty bummed about Palmer. I heard the rental fees went up this year. I really wanted to run tt with nasa there, I hope they reconsider for next year. The shower facilities are open now finally too.

Pretty stoked for the two day unmuffled at Limerock. Also going to try to sign up with comscc to check out Club Motorsports. The place looks amazing!
    Last edited by Pat533i; 03-04-2017 at 08:00 PM.