Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Steed Speed E36 Twinscroll Manifold - Installation Thread

My Cars
    2001 330i

Steed Speed E36 Twinscroll Manifold - Installation Thread

Post your pictures and stories of installations here!

Thanks to CES and Steed Speed for making these works of art a reality!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    With the EFR 8374, I have found so far that there is no room for a full size motor mount. CES was using a skinny solid mount with the 8374. Maybe CES and RallyRoad will develop a new arm and a new poly mount, but I am skeptical given the proximity of the subframe mount stud to the compressor inlet. Again, the EFR are longer than other turbos and this may not be an issue with precision or garrett. I have spent a bunch of time fiddling around hacking and relocating a mount, and it is not ideal.

The EFR8374 is also pushed so far over towards the fender that a 4 inch round intake is not possible, except perhaps with a skinny solid motor mount and some clearancing of the intake pipe for the balljoint nut. I am adapting down to 3.5 inches to get past the motor mount and ball joint nut. Shorter turbos probably won't have this issue.

The TS45 wastegate mount on the steedspeed is designed for a race car without AC. It will interfere with your AC lines if you have AC. There are two solutions. First is remove the lines and bend them to fit under the SAP bracket, then reinstall and recharge. The other is to hack off 1-2 inches of the SAP bracket and then bend the lines in place. This is what I did. This will be an issue with any turbo since it is up top.

The only easy part I have found is installing the manifold. Use the early longer studs. A socket wont fit so use a ratcheting wrench and a regular box end wrench.

The EFR8374 was also not so hard to install since there was so much room to the block side since the manifold designed to fit monster turbos, that I could reach the block side and trans side stud nuts reasonably easily (though I had to use a crows foot on the rear block side nut).

Hopefully those with PT and Garrett will have an easier time with the piping and CES and RallyRoad will come up with a mount and mount arm that work for the 8374 for those who use that turbo. Maybe even custom bent AC lines for those who do not want to mess with theirs.

The downpipe is pretty easy to make. I'd say it fits more like my original boostlogic downpipe. The boostlogic was pretty high mounted. The Steedspeed TS mani is probably about 1.5 inches higher than the regular TS mani that I have been using this year so I had to make another DP.

The WG pipe needs roughly a 90 off the WG and then maybe a 45 degree angle after the trans tunnel to merge into the exhaust. My install was complicated because I have a euro coolant reservoir and had to swivel the WG towards the fender to gain clearance for the coolant pipe. Anyone else can go down the back of the mani, a more direct shot. But either requires two bends to get down under the car. How you integrate into the exhaust varies, and some might not even bother (I tried an open dump years ago and it was not pleasant by my standards).

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    This nicely done long post with no pictures?

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    '97 M3
    When the time comes, I will fabricate new AC lines. I don't like the stock routing anyway. I'm thinking of putting them through the inner fender well and using AN fittings with aluminum tubing. I won't give up on AC just yet.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Is anyone planning to install EGT sensors and/or an EMP sensor?

I'm looking at doing 1 EGT per cylinder, and a pressure manifold to receive signals from both banks for EMP.

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    I am liking that the manifold itself is easy to install. I plan on running a WG dump so it's a 90 and straight to the floor for me. And no a/c here, although to do custom lines with the magnitude of the builds we got going on isn't much of a hurdle IMO. Still waiting to hear somebody's install notes while installing a Garrett/PTE down there.

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    Is anyone planning to install EGT sensors and/or an EMP sensor? I'm looking at doing 1 EGT per cylinder, and a pressure manifold to receive signals from both banks for EMP.
    My next manifold no matter what will have EGT at the very least.

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    When the time comes, I will fabricate new AC lines. I don't like the stock routing anyway. I'm thinking of putting them through the inner fender well and using AN fittings with aluminum tubing. I won't give up on AC just yet.
    Will An line and fittings hold the high pressures of an AC system?

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender13Bender View Post
    I had one custom AN hose and fitting going to my compressor, no issues just ice cold A/C.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If you cut the stock line on the firewall and welded on an AN fitting and then went custom to the end of the main hardline at the shock tower, that would be fine. You would do the same with the small hardline, and reconnect to it at the shock tower.

Sorry, no pics. If you don't understand, you will once you get into the job. Hopefully someone else will take pictures and document everything. I am just trying to get my car back on the road and the frustrations from the unexpected projects are delays that I was not expecting.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Teflon hose can easily hold the pressure (with a SF of like 5-10). AN fittings can take way more pressure than an AC system operates at (maybe 250-300 psi max when hot and overcharged).

I've personally taken a -4 an aluminum fitting up to 12,000 psi. No leaks, it survived fine.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Aluminum lines (5052-O) are capable of 1500 psi so, ya, the pressures in the AC system would not be an issue.

I could use Teflon hoses but it's hard to do a clean install when you are restricted to such large minimum bend radius' of the hose vs the hard lines.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    On an old GT35r headgasket car I worked on we just took it to a local AC shop and they made all new AC lines for it.

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

My Cars
    2001 330i
    What I'm looking to use to help measure Exhaust Manifold Pressure:

https://racespeconline.com/collectio...-emap-canister

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I'd like to get Leen's input on where he thinks the probes best location in the manifold would be. Typically EGT probes get placed 1.5-4" from the flange face.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    I'd like to get Leen's input on where he thinks the probes best location in the manifold would be. Typically EGT probes get placed 1.5-4" from the flange face.
    I think cylinder #6 is going to be the dictating factor.

Where ever it fits there...the others will have to follow...

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I too would like to install an EGT probe and an exhaust manifold back pressure fitting.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I think cylinder #6 is going to be the dictating factor.

Where ever it fits there...the others will have to follow...
    I realize we might be talking about different flanges. I was referencing running 1 EGT per cylinder.

Were you referencing the T4 flange, or the cylinder head flange?

My Cars
    Turbo 350Z
    So if I were to purchase this manifold, what would be the motor mount use? Would I have to to wait for one to be develooed, or is there something on the market that gets the job done. I'm really thinking of pulling my top mount off.

'97 M3/4 3.0l "Frankenstein" 760whp
    E90 335i 6mt Sold
    '97 Jetta TDi 16v ABA swap w/ pt6266 Sold
    2004.5 350Z APS ST 475whp 505wtq Sold
    2000 323i Sold

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I realize we might be talking about different flanges. I was referencing running 1 EGT per cylinder. Were you referencing the T4 flange, or the cylinder head flange?
    I'm saying the probes should be mounted 1.5-4" from the cylinder head flange.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I think you can get the 1.5 inch minimum. Manifold is very sturdy, plenty of space on top. Only on the runner closest to the wastegate will things be a little tight due to the WG, but you should be able to get close to 1.5 inches from the flange.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    What are everyone's turbo plans so far?

I'm all over the place on sizing...depending on my mood.

GTX3076R
    GTX3582R
    GTX4088R
    EFR8374
    EFR9180
    PT6266 Gen2
    PT6870 Gen2

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    Efr9174

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Last edited by jakermac; 10-11-2016 at 07:58 PM.

My Cars
    e30
    What are everyone's turbo plans so far?

I'm all over the place on sizing...depending on my mood.

GTX3076R
    GTX3582R
    GTX4088R
    EFR8374
    EFR9180
    PT6266 Gen2
    PT6870 Gen2
    For your build I think EFR8374 makes the most sense. Fast spooling, good power, has ability to log turbine speed.

Maybe GTX3576 if you want to stick with Garrett and have a better turbine:compressor ratio.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast