Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Z3M Coupe Re-build from Street/Track to full Track

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofast View Post
    Agreed, we need some shots of the full car on the ground to get a real feel for the finished product.
    It's been raining like forever and with no side windows I didn't want to pull it out of the garage and fill up with water.

It's suppose to get nice later this week so I'll have the car out and will get some ground shots and post.
    Last edited by CMM3; 05-15-2017 at 06:05 PM.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    My first day out was at Lime Rock May 22nd as a guest at their Drivers Club event. All went well except for my Diff which was howling and making all sorts of unnatural noises. I felt, well let's say inadequate given the cars that were there.

Dan on Diffsonline had a new diff ready for me on short notice, special thanks to him, and I got that installed before an event with COMSCC this weekend at Palmer. The diff worked flawlessly and was quiet as a church mouse.

I returned to the scene of my crash and during my first sessions I must have looked like Will Farrell in Talladega Nights screaming "I'm on fire" because it was hard to get my foot into it. The car is now completely different, getting used to no power brakes and no power steering is taking some getting used to and I had to throw all the previous suspension setting out the window and start from scratch. I also needed to put a little break-in time on the motor and diff. So I had a lot of things on my mind. I started out running 2.01's and 2.02's but ended up posting some best laps of 1.49.07, 1.49.61 and 1.50.29 which I think is respectable on four year old tires. There is a lot more in the car for sure, some more seat time, dialing in the suspension, and some fresh tires will help find it. I'm pretty happy with the first real shake down of the car.

Thanks again to everyone for all the kind words and encouragement through the re-build process.

One shot from LRP and a few from Palmer.

Last edited by CMM3; 06-05-2017 at 10:58 AM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Congratulations! The car looks phenomenal. Now to enjoy all the fruits of your labor.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    I saw the car at Palmer over the weekend. It's a real beaut!

Nice to meet you and give the car a good look in person after following on the forums. (I was the tall guy wearing a sox hat who mentioned this bimmerforum's thread.)

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    I saw the car at Palmer over the weekend. It's a real beaut!

Nice to meet you and give the car a good look in person after following on the forums. (I was the tall guy wearing a sox hat who mentioned this bimmerforum's thread.)
    It was good to meet you as well, turned out to be a great weekend !

My Cars
    88 5000 CS Avant
    Your car looked great at Palmer, I was there also in the family truckster. Lots of meticulous work on your car; it made me miss my '99 Coupe more than a little. There are some great photos of your car taken by another driver, the photog posted a link to his pics on the COM board. He got a lot of shots from the ambulance gate between 1 and 2.
    '91 Civic DX race car
    '08 M3

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Car looks great! That roof mounted with is so "I don't care, it's a race car!" and I love it.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
    Your car looked great at Palmer, I was there also in the family truckster. Lots of meticulous work on your car; it made me miss my '99 Coupe more than a little. There are some great photos of your car taken by another driver, the photog posted a link to his pics on the COM board. He got a lot of shots from the ambulance gate between 1 and 2.
    Ryan thanks a lot for the heads up on the pictures I was able to download a few for the folks here

My Cars
    E36 325i (sold)
    Amazing..

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    You will get 60% better performance from that spal fan (when it is in use) if you use block off plate around it. I am in the same boat with mine.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    You will get 60% better performance from that spal fan (when it is in use) if you use block off plate around it. I am in the same boat with mine.
    Not sure what you're running for a radiator or how you're controlling air flow. I have a Misimoto heavy duty radiator and I've used the stock lower oil cooler duct to deflect incoming air upward into the radiator from the lower opening and have an unrestricted air flow from the main opening through the kidney grills. I also have hood vents which draws hot air out of the engine compartment sitting directly above the trailing edge of the radiator. With straight water and water wetter my temps have never exceeded 175F on the hottest days and my fan only runs when I come into the paddock. So in my application a block off plate is completely unnecessary.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    That's actually why I am in the same boat, my fan also goes on very rarely and in similar situations, thats why I have never bothered with surround because when fan is not running it is better without.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab31169 View Post
    Be real....its never the end
    So true, since thinking I was done a laundry list of things to do has materialized that I've been working on.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    CMM3 saw the S54 for sale on BAT. What is next for the car?

95 M3/ BBS LM/ UUC Exhaust

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe '98 X3 3.0i
    Congratulations for all this job, it 's so a real pleasure to drive our Z3 on tracks or races ! Enjoy it !
    Facebook's Z3M for trackday use (English and French spoken)

Subscribe and like it !
    https://www.facebook.com/Gatmobile/

My Cars
    95 M3 , 99 Z3 Coupe sold
    we need updated pics and maybe a video....
    I'm an Aussie living in the States , love it
    Modestly dyslexic so for give the spelling.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 2590402 View Post
    CMM3 saw the S54 for sale on BAT. What is next for the car?
    yeah I got the itch for more engine mainly torque and sold the s54. I've started the process of swapping in a LS1.

I'll continue on this build thread with some details and pictures soon. I had the LS1 dyno tuned and on the engine dyno it made 505 hp & 460 lbs ft trq the s54 by comparison on the engine dyno made 415 hp and 310 lbs ft trq so -+90 hp and +150 lbs ft trg also going from a 5 speed trans to t-56 6 speed.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    new build thread started
    Last edited by CMM3; 12-04-2018 at 09:52 PM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Not going to beat on you at all for running fuel lines through the cockpit. Here is how it’s done in my NASCAR Camping World Truck. The SS braided fuel line runs through steel pipe. Just another added layer of security. I am having this line moved a little so I can get a second seat in there. Didn’t think the passenger would like to be sitting directly over top of the fuel line.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    Not going to beat on you at all for running fuel lines through the cockpit. Here is how it’s done in my NASCAR Camping World Truck. The SS braided fuel line runs through steel pipe. Just another added layer of security. I am having this line moved a little so I can get a second seat in there. Didn’t think the passenger would like to be sitting directly over top of the fuel line.
    I've seen that, nicely done in you truck.
    My understanding is it's so rescue workers don't accidentally cut the line but then I don't understand why you'd want to cut any line in a crash?
    It definitely adds another layer of protection and I would have done this if I had more of a straight shot but I didn't see anyway to avoid running the lines the way I did
    Last edited by CMM3; 11-16-2018 at 11:43 AM.

My Cars
    E90M3
    I was going to ask what you were doing for oil pressure with the LS. guess that answers it lol Awesome build. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

My Cars
    1987 BMW e30 325i coupe
    Nice build!

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    new build thread started
    Last edited by CMM3; 12-04-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345