Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Alright, so hear me out.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is

Alright, so hear me out.

This is going to be a little hard to describe and I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum. So I recently installed the maxspeedingrods coilover set. So I was sliding around and I start to hear a rattling noise coming from the driver side rear wheel. So I checked it and (this is where I need help in naming the object) the part where the shock is bolted into was completely stripped out. I can either get a whole new one or tap it. I need the name of the object I'm trying to replace. Any help is appreciated.

My Cars
    No Bimmers . . . yet.
    I am not familiar with the suspension systems on BMWs yet, so please forgive me if I am wrong, but I am guessing it is the spindle assembly. Probably an aluminum piece that the hub is mounted to, and the suspension links attach to?

My Cars
    96 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Crewcabanger View Post
    This is going to be a little hard to describe and I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum. So I recently installed the maxspeedingrods coilover set. So I was sliding around and I start to hear a rattling noise coming from the driver side rear wheel. So I checked it and (this is where I need help in naming the object) the part where the shock is bolted into was completely stripped out. I can either get a whole new one or tap it. I need the name of the object I'm trying to replace. Any help is appreciated.

This?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...dware/Bolt.jpg

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Try realoem.com. You should be able to locate and identify the part your are discussing.

My Cars
    F30 320i/6, E46 328i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Crewcabanger View Post
    the part where the shock is bolted into was completely stripped out. I can either get a whole new one or tap it. I need the name of the object I'm trying to replace.
    If the car in question is the E36 325is mentioned in your profile, the part in question is the rear trailing arm (assuming we're talking about the lower shock mounting, and not the upper). Part number 33326774777 for the left one, and 33326774778 for the right. I wouldn't recommend tapping it. Doing so would require going to a larger thread, at which point the correct fastener wouldn't fit the shock anymore. Best to just replace the arm; should be available pretty cheap in a junkyard.
    It's ALL ball bearings nowadays!