Thread: Clutch master and slave cylinder

My Cars
    CD00195, CC00195

Clutch master and slave cylinder

Hello,

I have a problem with clutch control system.

Basically, it seems like hydraulic fluid has leaked,
    and I no longer can operate clutch.

To my surprise I have looked into E31 repair manual,
    and found that all section 21 Clutch is missing, with:
    "refer to 'Repair Instructions for 7 Series E38'" pointer.

Unfortunately, I don't have E38 service manuals.

Do you have any pointers to clutch master/slave cylinder
    repair/bleeding instructions?
    Also, what happened to wuffer.net invaluable website?
    Also, which forum is the best to talk/ask question about E31?
    In the past, I remember roadfly forums, but it looks like
    they are not very active nowadays....

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks,
    Przemek
    850CSi - 00195

My Cars
    bmw 850
    Leaked? Did you see a leak or you think it has a leak because the clutch pedal goes all the way down and stays there? If you cant see a leak most probably you have an air bubble in the master cylinder and you need to get it out.
    Best way to do that is by forcing brake fluid up into the system through the bleeder nipple on the slave cylinder, that way you will force the air up and out.

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125
    All he E31 manuals you need are here: https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/m...dex_Repair.htm

And I have a spare brand new slave cylinder if you need to buy one...
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    The Slave is fairly easy to change....the master....another story.

Read in the E31 News newsletter about going 3 rounds with a cat: https://www.bmwcca.org/sites/default...2015-vol-4.pdf

Regarding discussion boards, this one is one of the best, and used by most people.
    Last edited by rogbmw; 09-26-2016 at 08:14 AM.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    1993 BMW 850Ci
    I began to lose clutch function simply due to old, degraded fluid. The clutch slave is the lowest point, and bleeding the brakes never flushes that area. It is pretty easy to find the bleed point where the line goes into the transmission even without a manual. Just bleed the clutch line (just like bleeding a brake line) and see if that solves your problem.

Mark in mid-MO
    1993 BMW 850Ci 6-speed
    2011 Cadi CTS coupe 6-speed

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    Don't bleed it like you bleed brakes. Razman850 in post number 2 is correct, bleed it in reverse through the slave cylinder bleeder nipple. Go on you tube and there are videos to explain the procedure.

My Cars
    '95 840Ci/6, F36, E89

My Cars
    1995 840
    Just replaced both the clutch slave and master cylinders on my E31 840 (Right hand drive). The slave is pretty easy however, as others have stated the master is something else... A couple of pointers to anyone about to do the master - take out the windscreen washer containers to get access to the pipe that attaches to the bottom of the master cylinder inside the engine compartment.
    There is also a rubber hose that goes from the brake / clutch fluid reservoir to inside the cockpit that feeds the master cylinder. I found it impossible to re-attach this hose onto the new master cylinder. There is a black plastic inner hose inside the rubber hose that comes from the reservoir (where it connects into the master) Pull this small plastic hose out of the rubber hose and then insert it into the master cylinder before putting the cylinder in place - the rubber hose can be pulled through into the cabin if you disconnect it from the bottom of the reservoir - but I wouldn't pull it all the way through just leave a small bit protruding into the engine compartment.
    To help align the two bolts that secure the master I put the bolt closest to the steering wheel in the other way round so I could line the master up to insert the bottom bolt into place - then remove the reverse bolt and insert it into the correct side. (Unless you are doing this job it probably won't make any sense until you do it!)
    Hope this firstly all makes sense and secondly helps you to save a considerable amount of time. I also gave the insides of both washer bottles a good clean before putting back in (Only 1 large screw holds it all in place) - the amount of crud inside was unbelievable........

My Cars
    '95 840Ci/6, F36, E89
    Yep, the master is a bitch, nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellyboy View Post
    Just replaced both the clutch slave and master cylinders on my E31 840 (Right hand drive). The slave is pretty easy however, as others have stated the master is something else... A couple of pointers to anyone about to do the master - take out the windscreen washer containers to get access to the pipe that attaches to the bottom of the master cylinder inside the engine compartment.
    There is also a rubber hose that goes from the brake / clutch fluid reservoir to inside the cockpit that feeds the master cylinder. I found it impossible to re-attach this hose onto the new master cylinder. There is a black plastic inner hose inside the rubber hose that comes from the reservoir (where it connects into the master) Pull this small plastic hose out of the rubber hose and then insert it into the master cylinder before putting the cylinder in place - the rubber hose can be pulled through into the cabin if you disconnect it from the bottom of the reservoir - but I wouldn't pull it all the way through just leave a small bit protruding into the engine compartment.
    To help align the two bolts that secure the master I put the bolt closest to the steering wheel in the other way round so I could line the master up to insert the bottom bolt into place - then remove the reverse bolt and insert it into the correct side. (Unless you are doing this job it probably won't make any sense until you do it!)
    Hope this firstly all makes sense and secondly helps you to save a considerable amount of time. I also gave the insides of both washer bottles a good clean before putting back in (Only 1 large screw holds it all in place) - the amount of crud inside was unbelievable........