Thread: EWS Update - INPA Error Code **Solved**

My Cars
    FPV

Question EWS Update - INPA Error Code **Solved**

So, after waiting a few days, I finally got my OBD-I & II cables in. Borrowed a friends laptop and started up INPA. I scrolled through some of the options, found EWS under Chassis I believe and when selecting it, I get the error "IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT"

I went into the DME, I started read the codes and found (3) codes: Translate from German..fyi German in parenthesis ()

108 Interruption Duration Supply (Unterbrechung Dauerversorgung)
    Error Frequency: 1

204 EWS 3.3 Change Code Storage (Wechselcode-Abspeicherung)
    Error Frequency: 1

148 EWS 3.3 Interface DME-EWS (Schnittstelle)
    Error Frequency: 8

Am I looking at a new EWS? I called the dealer, dealer stated the EWS would be coded already like a key, so I would need registration and such. Does that mean its plug & play? $140ish for new EWS. There is a relay next to the EWS, I plugged in another one and the horn started going off randomly. I tried DME-EWS Alignment, but, my DIS software isn't recognizing the cable.. so It won't connect to the car.
    Last edited by Southern740iL; 09-24-2016 at 12:10 AM.

My Cars
    BLK 01 sp, 20 Trail Boss
    When you used INPA did you get both Black dots telling you that you have a connection ? for me I had to run a battery charger to the car to get DIS or INPA work at all ( even though it has a brand new interstate ) . I had the best luck with Progman in aligning my DME-EWS nothing else worked for me .

My Cars
    FPV
    Quote Originally Posted by setconstr View Post
    When you used INPA did you get both Black dots telling you that you have a connection ? for me I had to run a battery charger to the car to get DIS or INPA work at all ( even though it has a brand new interstate ) . I had the best luck with Progman in aligning my DME-EWS nothing else worked for me .
    Yes. I have both black-dots on. I read the DME codes and it found the car information. I can not for the life of me get DIS working, which from what I read, its the easiest to align them. I will give Progman a shot tomorrow.

My Cars
    FPV
    [UPDATE]

Before going to the dealer, I went ahead and checked all the relays and all tested good. Next I checked and cleaned the ignition switch, all was well in there. So, here are my facts:

- Relays are good.
    - Ignition switch is good.
    - DME good.
    - EWS showed 2 errors, as well as "NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT" when attempting to align EWS-DME. Also, No Response when going into EWS from INPA.

That has made think its the EWS. I went to the dealer and said my EWS was superseded 4 times, meaning updated part. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new EWS for $120. I will report when solved.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern740iL View Post
    [UPDATE]

Before going to the dealer, I went ahead and checked all the relays and all tested good. Next I checked and cleaned the ignition switch, all was well in there. So, here are my facts:

- Relays are good.
    - Ignition switch is good.
    - DME good.
    - EWS showed 2 errors, as well as "NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT" when attempting to align EWS-DME. Also, No Response when going into EWS from INPA.

That has made think its the EWS. I went to the dealer and said my EWS was superseded 4 times, meaning updated part. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new EWS for $120. I will report when solved.
    Not a bad price for a new ews. Sounds like that may be the issue...

My Cars
    FPV
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Not a bad price for a new ews. Sounds like that may be the issue...
    Going to hope so. Like keys, a new EWS is non-returnable. I'll know when I put the module in the car and align it

My Cars
    FPV

Red face [SOLVED] No Crank - EWS Suspected

[SOLVED] - Add one to the solved list. After much testing and searching, turns out my suspicions on a faulty EWS turned out to be right. After installing, the vehicle started cranking and after aligning the DME-EWS in INPA, I got fuel and it started. Now I have a faulty mass-airflow and bad alternator.

Symptom(s):

• No Crank

Test(s):

• Checked all fuses and relays.
    • Checked ignition switch.
    • Replaced battery with new.

Diagnosis:

• Scanned with INPA; attempted to scan EWS and failed. Tried to align DME-EWS and got "NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT"

Suspected Failure:

• EWS.

SOLUTION:

• Purchase new EWS from dealer. Upon install, the vehicle would crank but not start. Upon aligning DME-EWS, vehicle immediately fired up.

My Cars
    03 M5 01 740i
    How did you align The EWS-DME in INPA ?

My Cars
    FPV
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrobsbmw View Post
    How did you align The EWS-DME in INPA ?
    Shift + F9 > Select E38 and DME > Shift + F6 > F2

Shift + F6 brings you into alignment menu, then there are two options. F1 and F2, I did F2 and it aligned.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Threads merged.

My Cars
    BLK 01 sp, 20 Trail Boss
    Nice !!!

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Thanks! This is the sort of conclusion we like to hear about.
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    FPV
    Yup. I figured this would help someone down the road.

My Cars
    525eds
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern740iL View Post
    Shift + F9 > Select E38 and DME > Shift + F6 > F2

Shift + F6 brings you into alignment menu, then there are two options. F1 and F2, I did F2 and it aligned.
    As above in what you said. Their should be some else to select. Something like version... 7.3 6.1 or some horrid part that I cannot remember. Sometime after SHIFT+F6 I believe. How do I know which one i should select. My car is a 525TDS salon 1997 year. Exaxctly the same issues. Car failed the 1st day after I bought it. Now can hardly start the dam thing. Wont crank at all. Just a click and nothing... light sna DINGS can be heard. If i hold EWS in my hand, I can feel a small kick and click. remove key, then a small kick click can be felt and heard from EWS. Launch scan tool says power to restart as an Error.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by justinlucking View Post
    As above in what you said. Their should be some else to select. Something like version... 7.3 6.1 or some horrid part that I cannot remember. Sometime after SHIFT+F6 I believe. How do I know which one i should select. My car is a 525TDS salon 1997 year. Exaxctly the same issues. Car failed the 1st day after I bought it. Now can hardly start the dam thing. Wont crank at all. Just a click and nothing... light sna DINGS can be heard. If i hold EWS in my hand, I can feel a small kick and click. remove key, then a small kick click can be felt and heard from EWS. Launch scan tool says power to restart as an Error.
    If you hear a click and it's from the starter it sounds like it may be a potential battery or starter issue. A bad key or ews will give you no clicking at all...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by purplecty; 11-18-2018 at 09:30 AM.

My Cars
    2000 740iA, 2003 330xiA
    My issue is extremely similar to this.

The 148 code is present but not the 108 & 204. Before reading the errors, I was going to grab a new key as I need a new key anyway. The 148 doesn't lead me to believe that it's the key, but the EWS (3.3) instead. My side issue is I can't read most of the modules via INPA either through the OBD1 or OBD2 ports. I can read the DME memory and other analog/digital values, but I cannot read most of the other modules.

I have not tried to align the EWS, should I try this first? I was reluctant to try due to there possibly being a downside. I have the battery terminals disconnected right now (don't think it's going to fix it tbh)

edit: turns out the key was bad. If error 148 is present without other errors, I would strongly suggest buying a valey key to test the immobilizer function.
    Last edited by niklecce123; 04-25-2023 at 07:50 AM. Reason: more details

My Cars
    2000 740iA, 2003 330xiA
    Still hunting this issue down. I got a new EWS 4 from the dealer programmed to my VIN. I flashed my DME to the latest version and then synced the new EWS to my DME. The car started fine.

Just yesterday, the engine would only crank. I then reset the errors & resynced in INPA. Problem is, I come out of the grocery store and it doesn't crank or start, but I feel a clicking sound. I tried jumping the car with a jump pack and a running vehicle and it will not crank now.

When I reset the errors & resync with resetting the rolling keys, I now get "Start value not understood, transmission error" (Startwert nicht verstanden, Uebertragungsfehler).

Any thoughts here?