Thread: S50B32 DME Variations?

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16

S50B32 DME Variations?

OK gentlemen, I picked up this DME on the right to replace the one on the left. The left DME has an Alpha N tune, no engine speed limiter or road speed limiter. I wanted to get away from the Alpha N, hence the change.

Look closley and you'll see a few minor differences in numbers. The seller claimed this new one (on right) is for a S50B32. Any idea if this is a problem or just a different model car (MZ3, v M3, etc) DME?

Thanks for the help. (sorry for the large size...)

- - - Updated - - -

I should have done a search before posting.... good data in this 9 year old thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ro-engine-swap
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    As a follow up, I installed the 'new' DME shortly after my OP.

Quite the difference!

On initial start attempt, the engine cranked for maybe five seconds before it fired. Once running, I was kept it running by working the throttle as the engine was rough as heck but slowly settled in. Once I let it run without input, the idle dropped down to ~600 rpm which seemed so slow as I was used to the 950 or higher idle with the A-N tune.

But it held the idle and the cams (284 Schrick) made their presence known by the lumpiness. :-)

The idle feels as if it *could* be higher when maneuvering in a parking situation, but it may just be the new to me tune/idle speed. The exhaust isn't so rich (stink) as with the A-N and mid rpm performance is night and day. With the A-N, the car stumbled with anything beyond gentle throttle below 3.5k rpm. Today, I nailed it in fourth gear at 2k rpm and it just pulled.

I'm guessing I lost some high end performance, although the factory tune felt good/strong in a third gear pull. Butt dynos are not so accurate, eh? LOL

With a 'spare' DME, I can now explore what can be done. I intend to retain the MAF, likely won't do much besides *maybe* going with a CF airbox if I can incorporate the MAF, AND, there is no dyno on the island.

Oh, how is the odometer effected when a different DME is introduced? The car is at 60,900 something, I sure hope it doesn't suddenly change because the DME came from a engine/car with a quarter million miles.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 10-30-2016 at 01:53 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 S50B32
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    As a follow up, I installed the 'new' DME shortly after my OP.

Quite the difference!

On initial start attempt, the engine cranked for maybe five seconds before it fired. Once running, I was kept it running by working the throttle as the engine was rough as heck but slowly settled in. Once I let it run without input, the idle dropped down to ~600 rpm which seemed so slow as I was used to the 950 or higher idle with the A-N tune.

But it held the idle and the cams (284 Schrick) made their presence known by the lumpiness. :-)

The idle feels as if it *could* be higher when maneuvering in a parking situation, but it may just be the new to me tune/idle speed. The exhaust isn't so rich (stink) as with the A-N and mid rpm performance is night and day. With the A-N, the car stumbled with anything beyond gentle throttle below 3.5k rpm. Today, I nailed it in fourth gear at 2k rpm and it just pulled.

I'm guessing I lost some high end performance, although the factory tune felt good/strong in a third gear pull. Butt dynos are not so accurate, eh? LOL

With a 'spare' DME, I can now explore what can be done. I intend to retain the MAF, likely won't do much besides *maybe* going with a CF airbox if I can incorporate the MAF, AND, there is no dyno on the island.

Oh, how is the odometer effected when a different DME is introduced? The car is at 60,900 something, I sure hope it doesn't suddenly change because the DME came from a engine/car with a quarter million miles.

Thoughts?
    I had the same bad stumble through mid range on my stock dme AN tune. I think it is just a crappy tune. My guess is all the AN modded dme's out there are all clones of the original that Epic did way back. From the talks I had with them, they are not good plug in and go tunes, they need dyno time to sort out. With my VEMS, we were able to tune out the bad stumble with cam timing and fueling. It was quite a significant change to get it right but mine is pretty good through there now. If you don't have a dyno on the island I don't think you will ever get something optimized on stock DME. Most of the stock tuners will want to remote tune on a dyno. With my VEMS we are doing most of it by data logs, emailing back and forth. Takes a long time but that's fine with me, the car is not a daily driver, and the tune is close enough right now to go out for a drive with no drama.

I don't think your cluster display will change mileage due to the dme change. It may throw a fault for a mismatch or give you the tamper light. Dealer may still have the equipment to sync it.
    1995 Japan Spec 318is Slicktop, S54B32, ZF 5MT, Typ 210 3.25:1 FD, CSL Carbon airbox, Supersprint V2 stepped headers, Bimmerworld/Magnaflow 3" race exhaust, CAE shifter, JBR lightweight flywheel, Clutchmasters Kevlar clutch, MCS 2 ways w/ rear coilover, Hyper Coils, Ground control plates, Turner bars, Turner camber links, BW roll center correcting control arms, GC bump steer tie rods, Road Race GT strut bar, Mason Engineering GTR rear brace, Stoptech ST40 brakes, Hawk pads, Apex EC-7 18x10, RE71R 285/30/18, Hard Flares.

www.isiautomotive.com

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    I appreciate your input!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Stockwise, you have the MSS50 and MSS50.1 version for SMG cars.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Just in case you need it: 05/99 Digitale Motorelektronik DME MSS50, 6–Zylinder S50 B32 details and pinout X6000, 13 pages for download http://wp1016621.server-he.de/fotost...7/bmwe36m3.pdf
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!