Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: so I got a new project car

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I don't think I have ever seen one in black, it looks really good in that color!

My Cars
    2006 325i
    Do you plan to put the Viper logo back on the nose or leave it off?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    I don't think I have ever seen one in black, it looks really good in that color!
    Interestingly, they didn't come in black in '98 (although they did in '97 and '99). The original owner of this car (I'm 4th) had it painted black when it was new--it was originally silver. It must have been really expensive, because it's obvious that they went so far as to pull the engine and transmission and all the body panels, interior, and trim in order to have not a trace of silver left anywhere on the car. That was probably when it was converted to an automatic (also must have been fantastically expensive as they had to modify the frame, the tunnel, the interior, the electronics, and a host of other things). They also installed about $20k worth of stereo equipment, a laser shifter/detector system, a radar detector system--all stealth built in with LED's mounted in the dash--and an entire complicated show lighting system with more neon tubes than I can count and switches all over the place for them. Of course I ripped all that nonsense out and restored it as back to stock as possible. I'm guessing the original owner dropped an extra $100K or so above the purchase price. My guess is he was professional a baseball or football player, or a rap star, given that he had more money than God, but couldn't drive a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by bcoffin View Post
    Do you plan to put the Viper logo back on the nose or leave it off?
    Good eye that man--I don't know that I could see its absence in a bad cell phone photo, but you're right--I removed them to paint it, and probably will not put them back. For one thing, they don't appear to come in black, and I'm not interested in a contrasting color, and for another, if you don't know what it is to look at it, a name isn't really going to help. The one on the rear bumper is still there.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Looks good Ralph! Yes, the Viper is most certainly an attention grabber; it will elicit positive comments from people who would not look twice at other desirable cars. Clearly, people just know it's special, and it looks it! If you have the room to keep it, I say go for it, at least until the novelty wears off (I cannot speak for others, even though I have my share of seat-time in a Gen1__and I applaud Chrysler for taking such a gutsy move to produce it__I'm not a Viper person).

At my age, it would be like me getting a Corvette; then you're expected to get A Blond to go with it, and man-o-man, would that ever clash with The Redhead!

Your comment
    I'm going to have to rethink my hobby...
    made me laugh!

I know what you mean; I *just* came back from looking at a couple of <rusty> MKII Sprites (square-body/sidescreens)! Quite (QUITE-QUITE) the opposite end of the enthusiast range of sportscars, no doubt, but I think I want to build me one of these, using the Sprite's platform as a donor (like the original Sebring Sprites were):

SS-004.jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    I have never driven a Viper but I always wanted one just based on the looks and engine alone. I'm very jealous. Maybe I will buy a older model as well next year. Thanks for the idea. Best of luck with your pretty new ride!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I don't know Randy, how about a Sprinzel Sebring Sprite as long as you're going to dream up a project:

I assume you'd retrofit some Girling disc set ups.

My Cars
    2006 325i
    Good eye that man--I don't know that I could see its absence in a bad cell phone photo, but you're right--I removed them to paint it, and probably will not put them back. For one thing, they don't appear to come in black, and I'm not interested in a contrasting color, and for another, if you don't know what it is to look at it, a name isn't really going to help. The one on the rear bumper is still there.[/QUOTE]

Definitely understand where you are coming from. It is gorgeous and looks very clean. Personally I would be so proud to own a Viper, so would put the emblem back and probably tattoo it on my chest haha.

I am hoping to own one in the future! At 24, I've got some time to save up.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    I didn't see any for under $20k

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I let my wife drive it today, which she did without incident. She wore the driving gloves I bought for her when I bought my first ///M Roadster back in 2010--she's never worn them in all that time because I wouldn't let her drive the ///M--not that I could ever have stopped her if she was determined to drive it, but I just made it unavailable and she picked up on that. I guess it says something that I offered up the Viper so soon--you can only have so many cars you don't want your wife to drive, and I have two ///M Roadsters. I need a bigger garage.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
    I didn't see any for under $20k
    https://www.copart.com/quickpick/dod...ch%22:false%7D

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    Always thought I'd like to build a Viper as my next track car if I ever need to replace the Coupe.
    2001 Steel Gray MCoupe - 147,000 miles and owned since new. MCS 2WNR suspension, Hotchkiss swaybar, poly bushings all around, cat delete headers with custom tune, 3.73 LSD, and Clownshoe Motorsports rear subframe reinforcement.

2014 Porsche Cayman S / 2022 BMW X3M Competition / 2020 Ram Rebel

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    I let my wife drive it today, which she did without incident. She wore the driving gloves I bought for her when I bought my first ///M Roadster back in 2010--she's never worn them in all that time because I wouldn't let her drive the ///M--not that I could ever have stopped her if she was determined to drive it, but I just made it unavailable and she picked up on that. I guess it says something that I offered up the Viper so soon--you can only have so many cars you don't want your wife to drive, and I have two ///M Roadsters. I need a bigger garage.
    I will finally have a 3 car garage in 2018 so I can have room to work on my toys.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    Vipers are great handling cars, but the combination of a lack of traction control, ABS, huge low-end torque and a short wheelbase make it difficult to drive really fast unless you're really good. It doesn't help that a lot of these cars are garage queens, so they tend to have tires that are way past their shelf life, making it harder to drive.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Well I drove my ///M today for the first time since I put the Viper on the road. Ok, The Viper really is quicker, more powerful, and much more torquey, although the supercharged ///M is plenty quick and fast. I didn't realize how close to the floor my ///M clutch engages until shifting back and forth between the two, but it catches right at the floor--maybe a millimeter or two up, that's it. It fully releases and engages, but all within just a tiny degree of movement--is that normal? The Viper gears are soooo looooong. I shift through my ///M gears so quickly, I'm into 5th on the ///M before I'd be into 3rd on the Viper (6th on the Viper is turning around 2000 rpm at 90 mph). Also my ///M feels cramped compared to the Viper--far less leg room--I'm 5' 11" (used to be 6' even) and drive both with the seat fully back, the ///M is just a smaller car. They drive so differently, it's the same difference between European sports car and American muscle car I remember from the 70's. Speaking of which I passed a TR6 on the highway in my ///M today--such a pretty car. I have to drive them both more to fully compare and appreciate the differences. Right now, while the Viper feels faster and more powerful, the ///M feels more sure footed and predictable--that's probably because I've been driving it for 7 years and know it really well, but also because it's such a tight car and so well engineered and manufactured. I love my ///M.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    So I drove my '99 ///M Roadster today for the first time in a long time--it's NA. Holly mackerel, I didn't remember just how big of a difference the supercharger and bbtb made to my '98, but its a wild difference--the '99 feels like I'm dragging a ship anchor around by a heavy chain in comparison. The Viper is more powerful, but the '98 is much closer in performance to it, than to the '99. No wonder I supercharged the '98. I wouldn't say the '99 is a dog, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as "quick" or "fast;" I was able to outpace a Jeep Cherokee jockeying for a lane merge, but only just. Oh the difference a little over a hundred horses makes (or 450 in the case of the Viper).

My Cars
    broads & booze!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    the 6-speed manual is just a built up t56. Same transmission used in Firebirds/Camaros of that generation. So I would assume the ATX from an LS F-body would fit the same along with some minor modifications and a custom driveshaft.
    I had a 93 Z28 with a Viper transmission from the factory. Not sure how I, or my wrench verified that back around 2004. But it is documented that GM ran out of transmissions when the 93 first came out, and more than a handful got one originally destined for a Viper.

I'm too old to learn how to drive an automatic.

My Cars
    2007 Z4///MC
    Somehow i always think about Ted Bundy when i see these cars and the hell he went through after missing the 000000 mark..

Nice job fixing her up looks great.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
    I had a 93 Z28 with a Viper transmission from the factory. Not sure how I, or my wrench verified that back around 2004. But it is documented that GM ran out of transmissions when the 93 first came out, and more than a handful got one originally destined for a Viper.
    that's a cool little factoid.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
    It's the same Tremec T-56, might have different ratios, so not surprising.

My Cars
    broads & booze!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerPA View Post
    It's the same Tremec T-56, might have different ratios, so not surprising.
    It was built to handle the Viper's V-10 which put out more than the LT-1s 275 HP. I think I was able to trace the transmission to the production date. Mine was built during the period where GM was buying Viper transmissions.

I'm too old to learn how to drive an automatic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12