Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: TPMS / TMPS 2015 F30 340i sensor compatibility

My Cars
    BMW 340i M Sport Touring

TPMS / TMPS 2015 F30 340i sensor compatibility

Hi Guys

New to the forum having come from a F21 M135i to a F30 340i Touring and have a question about winter wheels/tyres and the tyre sensors (apologies if this has been done but I've tried searching and not got the answer I need)

I have on at the minute 19" wheels with summer tyres and want to switch to 18" wheels with winter tyres ready for winter over here in the UK, but can I but new sensors (£125 ish over here) and fit them to the 18" wheels, will the car pick them up or will they need coding?

I could obviously take them off the 19" wheels but then I'm taking the tyres off and back on again every season which is what I would like to avoid by buying a spare set of wheels as if that was the case I may as well just buy 19" winter tyres and swap them each season anyway.

Likewise I don't want to buy new wheels, tyres and sensors if I then have to keep taking it back to BMW for them to charge £$£$ every time I need them coding back over to the new set.

Please tell me that the car will recognise the new sensors and do it automatically, or at least I only have to have them coded once by BMW.... otherwise I may as well either buy 19" winter tyres, or get the 18" wheels and tyres without sensors and just "feel" if the car has low pressures and ignore the stupid warnings that will flash up as the car can't detect the old sensors....

Sorry for the wordy question, thanks in advance

My Cars
    No Bimmers . . . yet.
    I don't know if they need to be coded initially. I would guess that the BMW ones are ready to go. Aftermarket sensors may need an initial programming. Once this is done the car will be able to recognize them without problem.
    You do have to go into the iDrive menus to "reset" the TPMS system. I believe doing so may be required in order for the car to recognize them, but I am not certain. Honestly, I don't know why it would be required, since the system uses low power transmitters and an antenna in each wheel well, so it should only see an installed wheel.
    Either way, it is a good idea to install the wheels. set the pressures to where you want them, and then reset the system. This way you know the pressure is correct, and the system is set for those pressures.