Thread: 335d urea DEF tank - lost sensor from road scrape?

My Cars
    m3, 335d, 335i, g500

335d urea DEF tank - lost sensor from road scrape?

Hi, I'd posted this in the 3er forum but it's been so long since I was active here I didn't realize we had a separate diesel forum now

Really hoping someone may have an idea here as to what is missing from my passive DEF tank...

I've searched like crazy and can't find any specific info on this.

The DEF sensor lies in the fluid reservoir, correct?

I'm wondering what is missing here. It seems some impact of some sort knocked things loose. I'm leaking urea from the area where the metal cover meets the plastic tank. And obviously there is this visible hole in the tank I can't figure out. Guessing the bulk of my DEF Fluid dripped straight out of that visible hole next to metal tank cover (it left a big crystal-y mess under my parking spot which I now know is urea)

Anyone have any clue what part is missing from this picture? Also thought perhaps a PO plugged the hole up with a rubber grommet to ease flush and refill but would be surprised if that's it (have not read anything about ppl doing this).

Got the car a month ago (old CPO car, mine is at 90k miles), 2011 335d, USA car.

Car runs fine with the exception of the standard 999 mile countdown that occurs whenever DEF is low. Gas mileage impact seems minimal but I also do mostly short distance city driving.

Really appreciate any ideas or input here as to what is missing. I've been pouring over images i can find of the tank but it all shows them from the wrong angle (not the bottom)

Thanks again in advance guys

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Sorry, have no idea. Saw your post in the other forum, hopefully you'll get some feedback somewhere.

My Cars
    m3, 335d, 335i, g500
    Thanks man

Dropping this off to my mechanic next Wed - he specializes in BMWs, but not necessarily the diesel engines.

I've also got an aftermarket warranty I purchased when I got the car, so in the process of finding out if it is covered underneath that warranty or not.

Fairly certain I hit something, but unsure what the consequence was.

Any input is really appreciated... TIA!

"It never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side." - Charles Manson

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Also check your comprehensive policy - might be covered there.

My Cars
    m3, 335d, 335i, g500
    Thanks - I think I may have actually damaged the tank, however, I am now leaking urea from behind BOTH rear wheels - weird. Seems more and more like some kind of light impact knocked something loose.

Keeping fingers crossed I can avoid full tank replacement and just replace the pump, but from what I understand, you can't get the pump without the tank or vice versa. I've got a literal duct tape band aid over the previously leaking area, refilled with DEF, and now the 999-countdown is gone. Still leaking DEF now on both sides, but not at a heavy volume.

Sounds like some people in the UK have done a full urea injection delete + DPF delete. I know the DPF delete is popular in the states but has any tuner created a chip that allows us to properly and safely perform a full DEF system delete?

"It never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side." - Charles Manson

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Thanks - I think I may have actually damaged the tank, however, I am now leaking urea from behind BOTH rear wheels - weird. Seems more and more like some kind of light impact knocked something loose.

Keeping fingers crossed I can avoid full tank replacement and just replace the pump, but from what I understand, you can't get the pump without the tank or vice versa. I've got a literal duct tape band aid over the previously leaking area, refilled with DEF, and now the 999-countdown is gone. Still leaking DEF now on both sides, but not at a heavy volume.

Sounds like some people in the UK have done a full urea injection delete + DPF delete. I know the DPF delete is popular in the states but has any tuner created a chip that allows us to properly and safely perform a full DEF system delete?
    If you search around on e90post in their diesel sub-forum, I believe you will find a UK guy that can do that for you. Look for "alpha delete", also DEF delete or SCR delete.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    We can remove EGR/DPF/DEF/Swirl Flaps from all 335D and X5 35D 2009+ models *Off road use only*
    As well as stage 1 and stage 2 performance tuning. We'll have gains and dyno results of each stage soon, but on stage 2 and straight down pipe, my personal 335D lost more than 1 second in the quarter mile. Feels like a completely different car and pull hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post

Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"