Thread: Good Crank No Start

My Cars
    2004 330XI

Good Crank No Start

Have had the car 2004 330XI for just a month. Power seems to have gone down over the last few days but just got in to run to the store and no start.
    I got the following codes, Cleared them and they came right back with no start.
    P1092 Pre Cat. Fuel trim Sys. to lean bank 2
    P1620 Cooling Thermostat control circuit signal high.
    P0441 Evaporative Emission control system incorrect flow detected
    P0174 System to lean Bank 2
    P0171 System to lean Bank 1

Sure could use some help

Thanks

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is Coupe
    Although i havent read the codes that i had at the time, my car had the same problem. It was for a weak battery because i left the car alone for a month. Try jump starting it.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2004 330XI
    I will try but she cranks strong and fast turn over and I just drove it 2 hours earlier with no problem

My Cars
    2004 330XI
    Jumping did not help any more ideas?

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Sounds your fuel pump is dead/dying. Check fuel pressure. If there is no or low pressure, pump is probably bad. Sometimes you can get them to start by hitting bottom of the gas tank near the pump on the passenger side while someone cranks the car. The codes you have won't cause a no start. Lean codes are probably from the fuel pump dying slowly when you noticed the loss of power it was gradually delivering less fuel to the engine. Other codes are most likely a bad thermostat and purge valve. Fuel pump is easily accessible under the rear seat on the left side. There is a test port on the fuel rail to check pressure. I have replaced many e46 fuel pumps. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2004 330XI
    Thank You, What PSI should I get when cranking? I am guessing 40 to 50 like most MBs

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    I don't remember the exact specifications but if it's in that range your problem is something else. Unless you know that the fuel filter has been replaced recently I would replace it regardless of whether or not the pump is bad. It's under the car below the driver seat. There is a plastic cover that you have to take off for access.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 bmw 325i 2002 330c
    just joined forum and I have a similar problem with my 2001 325 I. once I had the shroud off ,fan blade and everything else I degreased engine. I had to replace the radiator and after doing so I cant get the car to start. it spins over and acts like it wants to fire up but wont it does a slight backfire. I took a couple plugs out to check and they are wet with what appears to be gasoline . I am at my witts end with this car. My code reader took a dump so I don't know what codes are being sent . just thought id ask could I have maybe messed a wire up to the cam shaft sensor or another sensor that might cause it to not start ?
    Steve M Martin

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by IROCSTEVE View Post
    just joined forum and I have a similar problem with my 2001 325 I. once I had the shroud off ,fan blade and everything else I degreased engine. I had to replace the radiator and after doing so I cant get the car to start. it spins over and acts like it wants to fire up but wont it does a slight backfire. I took a couple plugs out to check and they are wet with what appears to be gasoline . I am at my witts end with this car. My code reader took a dump so I don't know what codes are being sent . just thought id ask could I have maybe messed a wire up to the cam shaft sensor or another sensor that might cause it to not start ?
    Check and see if the coil packs are working. If it is getting wet, then maybe that is the problem

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamprovan View Post
    Thank You, What PSI should I get when cranking? I am guessing 40 to 50 like most MBs
    Pressure has to be at least 45psi. The test valve is located on the fuel rail under the black, plastic cover on the top of the engine. Item #2 in the link below is the cap for the test valve. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_0900

If the pump is bad go to bmaparts to order a Siemens/VDO pump. Do not buy a crappy aftermarket pump; it'll leave you stranded! Buy the following:
    - fuel pump seal ring
    - fuel filter
    - 1 foot of high pressure fuel hose
    - 6 worm clamps for the fuel hose

The filter needs to be changed whenever the pump is replaced. There are 3 short hoses at the fuel pump. They are old and in need of retirement. Ditto for the worm clamps.
    Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 09-20-2016 at 09:56 AM.

My Cars
    2004 330XI
    Ordered a new pump I could hear nothing with the back seat out and my ear to the tank and the fuel rail when I tried to drain the fuel nothing came out

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    If you're saying nothing came out of the fuel tank, then you're out of gas and (cross your fingers) that's all there is to it. Refuel.

Otherwise, check with DVOM on the pump electrical connector that the fuel pump is getting power when you turn on the key. If not, the fuel pump relay (requires removing the glove box) may be bad. Check the fuel pump relay by swapping the horn relay. Alternative you can jumper the fuel pump relay if you know what you're doing and when not to do it.
    Last edited by Honolulu; 02-17-2017 at 08:46 PM.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.