Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS Ignition wires for M70 and M73 engine

My Cars
    bmw 850
    just located my parcel which was delivered to a neighbouring town here in Canada, so happy i had tracking info otherwise who knows.
    my correct address was clearly written on box ,maybe its the legal weed doing its work here already. thanks again Erich.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Here's a quick & simple write up by a forum member with pictures for installing cylinder identification sensors aka donuts on wires #6 and #12. These wires are identified by comparing length with the rest of the wires, them being the longest ones obviously. On the distributor boot end of the wire, get a slim flat blade screwdriver and slide it between the rubber boot and the wire. Use a lubricant of your preference, in my case WD-40, and spray it liberally. Follow up with more lubricant into the boot opening.

Work it in and you should be able to simply slide over the rubber boot towards the inner part of the wire like this. Hold the wire and push on the boot, don't pull on the cable. Use more lubricant if necessary as you don't want to pull on the wire and stretch it.

Grab and hold the wire with a microfiber cloth (for better grip) and start unscrewing the plug in anti-clockwise direction. It takes a decent amount of force to unscrew the plug so don't be afraid to use it as you can't really do any damage here.
    The plug simply unscrews and the woodscrew inside looks like this.

Remove the rubber boot from the wire and it's time to install the cylinder identification sensor. The direction in which the sensor is installed matters. If you are reusing your old sensors, simply install them using your old wires as a reference.
    If you are installing new sensors, as I did, the 4 tips/prongs should be pointed in the distributor cap direction like this.

Lubricate the rubber boot and slide it back onto the wire.

Grab a pair of sharp scissors and cut off 3 mm of the end of the wire thus getting a fresh bit of the wire where the woodscrew will go in.

Apply WD-40 on the end of the wire and reinstall the plug by screwing it back into place in the clockwise direction. Slide the rubber boot over the plug, if needed use more WD-40 to help boot slide easier without putting stress on the wire.

Now we want to verify that we have a proper connection and installation was successful. Break out your multimeter and set it to measure resistance (Ω). Stick a test lead at each end of the wire and you should be getting a readout of around 6 kOhm. This goes for all 12 wires, spark plug boot is 5 kOhm and distributor cap boot is 1 kOhm. The wire for ignition coil to the distributor cap is 2kOhm.

Additionally, you can wiggle and bend the wires slightly to make sure the connection is constant and doesn't drop.

Job well done.
    Last edited by shogun; 12-12-2018 at 06:55 PM.

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850
    Go the Red ones, they work great

My Cars
    91 850i
    Received the black ones today. Fastest shipping from Japan I've ever seen -- 6 days!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    @davedac: 1 set in red for your 1991 850 shipped to Surrey, BC
    @jbselig: 1 set for your 1991 E31 850 shipped to Acton,MA
    @Ledo: 1 set for your E31 850i shipped to Croatia
    @ilde20: 1 set ignition wires for your 1996 M73 E31 850 shipped to The Woodlands Texas
    Last edited by shogun; 07-09-2022 at 12:04 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    Bmw 850i, 325is, e36 m3
    Hey Shogun

Looking for the ignition leads for an 850i v12 auto. What’s the current price and how do I buy them ? Any site ?
    Am based in Lusaka Zambia.
    What’s the total including shipping ?

My Cars
    2005 E66 740Li
    Hi, I would like to buy a set too please, shipping to Ireland. Black please. M70 '91 850i.

My Cars
    1991 850i
    @shogun I understand these are just for the wires but do you know anywhere to get the rest of the parts to complete them?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Normally you can re-use the old ignition wire tubes (if not brittle) item 2, 12121729305, dealer, ECS or other online shops have them http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...lug/#1729305_2
    item 7 Pulse generator 12121725020 , buy genuine BMW, ECS, FCP EURO etc have the genuine ones.
    or if you want cpl. sets, ECS for example has them
    12121733007 - Ignition Wire Set - Left - For cylinders 7-12 - Genuine BMW MSRP $581.65>>$479.55
    12121733010 - Ignition Wire Set - Right - For cylinders 1-6 - Genuine BMW MSRP $567.45>>$467.84
    Last edited by shogun; 09-11-2020 at 11:06 PM.

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Master Shogun - since I now need to replace the CID donut sensor, which I reused on your fabulous ignition wires = It’s totally acceptable to unscrew the wood screw connector on the one end, RE & RE the donut sensor, cut 3mm off that end of the ignition wire, then rescrew the wood connector back on, yes?

I ask here as I’m sure at some point another person will be in my situation.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    yes, no problem, the angled side , see above the pics. The cable is long enough. Make sure that the donut is installed in the correct direction on the wire.

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    yes, no problem, the angled side , see above the pics. The cable is long enough. Make sure that the donut is installed in the correct direction on the wire.
    Thank you for the quick confirmation. I’ll be good to go now.
    Love your wire quality BTW, the rubber is nice and plyable after several years in the car. Wire ends snap on the spark plug tips and distributor cap with a nice positive click or seat.
    Cheers!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    @Luis, 1 set ignition wires for M70 shipped to Montevideo, Uruguay

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    @Arian, 1 set ignition wires for M73 shipped to Hamburg, NY

My Cars
    850Ci, Excursion
    Hi shogun, I broke the end of my #6 wire trying to replace the CID donut. The rest of my wires are relatively new. I was wondering if I could ask to buy a pair of wires to replace my #6 and #12 assuming I'll probably break that one too so I can get back on the road. Seems that all I can buy retail is full sets per side but I prefer not to junk good equipment if I can.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    we discussed in the E31 forum already a quick solution for you how to repair your existing aftermarket ignition wire boot for #6
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...highlight=boot
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...highlight=boot
    Last edited by shogun; 01-20-2023 at 10:44 PM.

My Cars
    850i
    Hi Shogun, responding to a 5 year old post, I know.
    One the one hand you (and many others) suggest that only original BMW CID sensors would work.
    But on the other hand you mention cheap alternatives that might be used instead.
    I am using aftermarket sensors and am getting error code 16 (no ignition signal from cylinder reference sensor), and probably as a result also 201. On both banks. Not sure if the sensors are the problem. The engine continues to run, however, misfiring.
    Please advise if indeed only original CID sensors are recommended.
    Thanks.

My Cars
    850Ci, Excursion
    If the engine keeps running then the DMEs are receiving the pulse from the CID sensors. Code 201 is a result of something affecting the fuel/air mix so severely that the DME has maxxed out its ability to correct it and STILL can't get the O2 sensor to crossover stoich as expected. You need to figure out if the issue is the cause of your miss or if the miss is causing the inability to fix the mix. Pull all the spark plugs and see which cylinder is misbehaving.

Regarding aftermarket CIDs: my car had 2 different aftermarket CIDs and both were bad. One would not work in the cold on cold starts. The other would constantly give out on the highway while cruising at light throttle but would come back if I lifted and punched the gas. I spent the $$$ on BMW ones and have had 0 issues since.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The engine will not run when the 2 crankshaft position sensors are not working, it will "generally" work when the 2 donuts on cyl. 6 and 12 are not working, but fuel injectors will inject all in gangfire at same time but less. I say generally, as I have also read about different stories and even had same experience and the engine/bank stopped with defective donuts. quote- Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm extremely relieved to report that I now have a well running V-12 engine. Apparently, my pulse generator, the little donut thingie on the #12 spark plug wire, was bad, even through it had the correct resistance... Who knows... It's fixed and cylinders 7-12 are alive. To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes, "When you have eliminated the impossible, replaced everything else, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth or broken". Thank you all for your support! - unquote
    It also depends on the DME version, the older M1.2 or the newer M1.7.
    If plug lead 6 or 12 (the ones with the inductive pickup donuts on them) are disconnected or short, a protection circuit embedded within the Motronic will severely clip the duty cycle of the injectors for that side to protect the catalysts from being drenched in raw, unburned fuel.

I may have posted this before: Catalytic converter protection function on version M1.7
    Ignition circuit monitoring: The ignition circuit is monitored by the cylinder detection sender (pin 16) on ignition line 6 (or 12). If it detects no ignition signal on ignition line 6 (or 12) , the fuel supply to to the relevant cylinder bank is cut out by shortening the injection signal. The sender monitors the entire primary side of ignition, and cylinder 6 or 12 on the secondary side.
    -----------
    The M1.1/1,3 for the M30 6-cylinder is basically the same as the M1.2/M1.7 for the M70, there on the German info it is described as following: https://web.archive.org/web/20141031...DME11-735i.pdf

Kaltstartsteuerung: zu Beginn der Startphase wird bis zu 5 Kurbelwellenumdrehungen jeweils 3 x pro Zylindergruppe eine erhoehte Kraftstoffmenge eingespritzt. Diese ist abhaengig von der Motortemperatur. Waehrend der Startphase erfolgt temperatur- und drehzahlabhaengig eine Reduzierung der Anfangs-Einspritzmenge, um einer Ueberfettung vorzubeugen. Bei wiederholtem Start innerhalb 1 Minute wird nicht mehr die volle Start-Einspritzmenge zugeteilt. Nach dem Start ab circa 600 RPM erfolgt die Einspritzung nur noch einmal pro Kurbelwellenumdrehung je Zylindergruppe. Dies bedeutet, dass bei der ersten Umdrehung in die Zylinder 2,4,6 und bei der zweiten Umdrehung in die Zylinder 1,3,5 eingespritzt wird. In der Warmlaufphase bis 70 Grad Celsius Motortemperatur werden ebenfalls drehzahl- und temperaturabhaengig die Einspritzzeiten verlaengert, diese Werte sind fest einprogrammiert im Steuergeraet.
    Halbsequenzielle Einspritzung: Ab einer Drehzahl von 600-800 RPM wird nur 1 x pro 720 Grad Kurbelwinkel in eine Zylindergruppe (2-4-6 oder 1-3-5) eingespritzt. Diese Steuerung kann nur arbeiten, wenn das DME Steuergeraet vom Zylindererkennungsgeber CIS/ Donut an der Zuendleitung 6 ein Signal empfaengt.
    Paralleleinspritzung: Paralleleinspritzung bedeutet gleichzeitige Ansteuerung aller Einspritzventile pro Kurbelwellenumdrehung und erfolgt nur, wenn der Zylindererkennungsgeber / Donut kein Signal liefert.

translated: Cold start control: at the beginning of the start phase, an increased amount of fuel is injected 3 times per cylinder group up to 5 crankshaft revolutions. This depends on the engine temperature during the start phase.
    During the starting phase, the initial injection quantity is reduced depending on temperature and engine speed in order to prevent to much fuel injection. If the engine is started again within 1 minute, the full start injection quantity is no longer injected. After starting from approx. 600 RPM, injection takes place only once per crankshaft revolution per cylinder group. This means that injection takes place into cylinders 2,4,6 at the first revolution and into cylinders 1,3,5 at the second revolution. In the warm-up phase up to 70 degrees Celsius engine temperature, the injection times are also extended depending on speed and temperature; these values are permanently programmed in the control unit.
    Semi-sequential injection: From a speed of 600-800 RPM, only 1 x per 720 degrees crank angle is injected into a cylinder group (2-4-6 or 1-3-5). This control can only work if the DME control unit receives a signal from the cylinder identification sensor CIS/ Donut at the ignition wire cylinder 6.
    Parallel injection: Parallel injection means simultaneous injection of all injectors per crankshaft revolution and only occurs when the cylinder identification sensor / donut does not provide a signal.

and this is from technical paper Motronic 1.1 and 1.3 and should be same for the 1.2 and 1.7: Cylinder Identification (CID) : An cylinder identification sensor is used to identify cylinder firing sequence. The sensor is connected around the HT lead of cylinder number 4 (4 cylinder) or cylinder number 6 (6 cylinder) adjacent to the distributor. As the HT pulses travel along the HT lead, a small AC signal is induced in the sensor and returned to the ECU. The ECU utilizes an ADC to transform the signal into a digital pulse. Fuel injection: The ECU contains a fuel map with an injector opening time for basic conditions of speed and load. Information is then gathered from engine sensors such as the AFS, CAS, CTS, and TS. As a result of this information, the ECU will look-up the correct injector pulse duration right across the engine rpm, load and temperature range. The injectors are arranged in two banks with injectors 1 and 3 (4 cylinder) or 1, 3 and 5 (6 cylinder comprising one bank, and injectors 2 and 4 (4 cylinder) or 2, 4 and 6 (6 cylinder) making up the other bank. Each bank is connected to the ECU via an independent ECU pin. The Motronic 1.1 & 1.3 multi-point injection system pulses the injectors semi-sequentially and once every two engine revolutions. During engine start-up below 600 rpm the ECU pulses all injectors simultaneously. Once 600 rpm has been attained and if the ECU has received a signal from the CID sensor, each injector bank will be pulsed alternatively according to which pair of cylinders are approaching TDC. If a signal is not received from the CID sensor the injectors will remain on simultaneous operation. However, if the CID sensor subsequently sends a signal to the ECU after the engine has commenced running, the ECU will pulse the injectors semi-sequentially after the next deceleration phase - even if the CID sensor then ceases to send a signal. During start-up from cold, injector pulse duration is increased to provide a richer air/fuel mixture and pulse frequency is also increased. In addition, the ignition timing is also retarded. Injector frequency & pulse duration and degree of timing retard depend upon the engine temperature both during start-up and immediately afterwards. If the engine is restarted within one minute of the first start occurance, less overall fuel is injected to reduce the risk of fuel flooding into the engine. Fuel injectors: The fuel injector is a magnetically operated solenoid valve that is actuated by the ECU. Voltage to the injectors is applied from the main relay and the earth path is completed by the ECU for a period of time (called pulse duration) of between 1.5 and 10 milliseconds. The pulse duration is very much dependent upon engine temperature, load, speed and operating conditions. When the magnetic solenoid closes, a back EMF voltage of up to 60 volts is initiated. The fuel injectors are mounted in the inlet stubs to the engine inlet valves so that a finely atomized fuel spray is directed onto the back of each valve. Since the injectors are pulsed in two banks, fuel will briefly rest upon the back of a valve before being drawn into a cylinder. http://www.opel-scanner.com/files/DME_1.1_1.3.pdf
    Last edited by shogun; 04-26-2022 at 05:31 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    @Ericks2002, 1 set M70 ignition wires shipped to Houston, Texas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12