Thread: Pre - 2002 E46 Business CD AUX

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

Pre - 2002 E46 Business CD AUX

This question has been asked many times and the only answers I've found have been conflicting or resulting in a $50-100 product
    My question is, is it possible to make a cable from the back of the stock head unit to plug into an auxiliary port/cord?
    I have an 01 E46 330i with the business cd model head unit, which looks identical to the picture here

These pictures were taken from instructables.com, and the poster wasn't clear on how the aux would work after soldering everything together,
    Would you simply press the CD button to play?
    I'm not familiar with circuit boards, so bear with me, the connections he soldered the wires to; where are those going to?

Thanks in advance, just hoping to get something other than the radio in my car!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    No. Head units in pre-2003 E46s do not have an auxiliary port in the back. You're only option is to install an adapter that uses the CD changer cables (power, commands+audio) that are located in the left side of the trunk. Remove the vertical carpet. The cables should be bundled together. The power connector has 3 wires, on of which is brown, and a 6 wire connector. There are numerous adapters that you can buy. Search.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    I believe I still have one or 2 aux compatible radios from late e46 that I could sell.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    I think that indestructibles picture is tapping the audio from the CD player? Not sure.

There is an AUX input on the older ones. The trick is the radio WILL NOT let you select it. (That is where the CD changer sends the audio.) The radio has to be told it has a CD changer then you can switch to CD changer mode and hear the aux input. Easiest way is to buy an adapter cable that does this for you. I made my own but it's more than what most would want to do.

Thaniel

My Cars
    94 325is vin# ef44406
    Have you thought about going aftermarket?
    The Kenwood excelon kdc-x700 deck retails for about $180
    Bluetooth, Pandora & iheart radio support, CD, aux port, HD radio...all the bells & whistles.
    With a wiring harness adapter & the install plate I spent about $240 & put it all in myself.
    I'm currently using the factory amp & speakers...plus a second amp that's running a 500 watt subwoofer.
    Bonus is that it has a remote & there's a steering wheel remote adapter also available.
    Face plate color is also changeable to match our cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 318Ci AC Schnitzer
    Nobody has mentioned yet, but, the Dension kits are really good in my opinion. Really easy to install and they work well, not too expensive either.

http://enfigcarstereo.com/
    Worldwide shipping and good prices, as well as instructional videos that they provide.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 330ci
    Maybe off topic, but...

I just want to tell that if you want the AUX because of mobile phone module, i have one installed to this radio via CD changer connector and you could do the same.
    Function of "CD" button will extend to switching between internal CD and external CD changer (your phone module) which is better then AUX connection, because most iphone/android modules can even connect your phone controls to your car audio controls (buttons on radio and even steering wheel)..

I installed it myself by this video, its the same module and everything works.
    I installed even phone cable extension (another dension product) and to that extension i connected apple lightning cable from apple store.
    Then i bought even magnetic holder to my Air vents.

At the final i have iphone recharging by cable above business cd radio, music from any app streamed to radio CD changer UI, if i use navigation, phone is switching sounds itself.
    This module has even call handsfree function, but you have to setup bluetooth connection in phone for this, HF does not work via cable.

AS a bonus i can hide everything, because i took cable via compartment bellow air condition control panel and holder is just in air vents.
    No interior intervention done.
    Last edited by palmic; 10-07-2016 at 04:03 AM. Reason: youtube link

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I would also like to mention that I have searched on how to do this, and the only descriptive writeup I have found is this one http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-E46-Aux-Input
    The only problem is, my head unit doesn't have the socket referred to in my second picture that is circled.