Thread: Beeping MID

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2001 540i

Beeping MID

I saw someone on Bimmer Forum UK post about the exact same problem in 2014, but with no final resolution.

Overnight my '92 E31 is omitting a constant beep from the MID where the best anyone could offer on the other thread was an old MEMO, but nothing I can find.

One thing is my 850 just hit 120,000 miles...but it did not start as soon as it flipped over 120K.

I am going to see if I take it my mechanic and use his BMW diagnostic tablet if something I can clear, but really hoping someone of the forum has an answer in the interim as I don't want it running down my batteries as an additional concern.

Thanks

My Cars
    91 850i 165,000mi
    Where do you have your LIMIT (speed) set to? If you exceed the set limit the MID will beep.

Owner's Manual says to reset the LIMIT, select LIMIT and press the SET RES repeatedly.

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2001 540i
    Let me check, but I forgot to mention it even beeps when the car is turned off.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    You sure it's the MID and not the radio? The MID itself has no sound capabilities. Those noises (Memo, Limit, Check Control, etc.) are emitted by the gong in the passenger's foot well.

The stock US stereo, on the other hand, beeps when buttons are pressed when it's off to scare off radio thieves... Maybe it's that?

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2001 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    You sure it's the MID and not the radio? The MID itself has no sound capabilities. Those noises (Memo, Limit, Check Control, etc.) are emitted by the gong in the passenger's foot well.

The stock US stereo, on the other hand, beeps when buttons are pressed when it's off to scare off radio thieves... Maybe it's that?

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...256897/#/enter

It is this exact issue

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    So the sound is coming from the gong...

It sounds like the reversing beep on the Japanese ones. As you might know, the MID is merely a display, so the problem could be in something else. Check control warnings will continue to "ding" even with the MID unit out of the car. Try unplugging the MID, and see if it stops. That would at least rule out the MID. Does it beep even after the consumer cutoff relay kicks in at 16 minutes after shutoff?

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2001 540i
    I will try that tonight, but it's been beeping for over 24hrs.

My batteries were down (because of beep drain?) where now on the charger up to 93%

My Cars
    1991 850ci
    Any resolution on this - my 91 e31 850ci has just started doing exactly the same thing
    beeps about once per second even when ignition off - its not batteries - have replaced both just in case

although i can find two references to the same problem, no solution has been posted

My Cars
    850CI BM
    Hello Frank220. How finally did you solve it?
    I'm facing the same issue on a 850CI.
    It started when the battery RH shorted (rotten egg smell). The car was ringing beep beep as like your youtube link.
    Since then, I changed the battery and now as soon as I plug in the new battery, the beeb starts again.
    There are also 2 other problems: memory of seats and mirrors which requires everything to be adjusted down and ventilation which no longer wants to go to the maximum.Really strange.
    Your advice will be helpful.
    Thanks
    Hello Solidpro. How finally did you solve it?
    I'm facing the same issue on a 850CI.
    It started when the battery RH shorted (rotten egg smell). The car was ringing beep beep as like your youtube link.
    Since then, I changed the battery and now as soon as I plug in the new battery, the beeb starts again.
    There are also 2 other problems: memory of seats and mirrors which requires everything to be adjusted down and ventilation which no longer wants to go to the maximum.Really strange.
    Your advice will be helpful.
    Thanks

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    Quote Originally Posted by frank220 View Post
    Any resolution on this - my 91 e31 850ci has just started doing exactly the same thing
    beeps about once per second even when ignition off - its not batteries - have replaced both just in case
    although i can find two references to the same problem, no solution has been posted
    Try replacing the gong with a used (or new) part that you can return. Mine was making weird noises and random gong sounds; replacing it solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MatteoHPV View Post
    ...I'm facing the same issue on a 850CI.

Two things:
    1) Replace both batteries at the same time with the same exact part (brand, model, capacity) or they will charge unequally and create a circulating current when not charging that discharges and wrecks both batteries. Or use a single large capacity battery in place of both of them. This is because the batteries are wired in parallel and not electrically isolated.

2) Try disconnecting the MID as previously posted. If that doesn't work, try replacing the gong with a returnable part.

Quote Originally Posted by MatteoHPV View Post

Did that start EXACTLY when you replaced one of the batteries?
    1) There is an electrical troubleshooting guide on here somewhere. Timm has electrical diagrams on www.meeknet.co.uk . 1991 linked here:
    www.meeknet.co.uk/E31/e31_91.pdf
    2) If you haven't replaced the capacitors in the SMM, it may be time.
    3) If you turn the ventilation blower to max and it runs at full speed, the blower and relay are fine. If you turn the blower to just under max and it runs at a low speed, the solder and/or FETs on the SWORD needs to be refurbished, or throw money at it and replace the sword. If the blower runs slowly at full speed, you can test the blower motor by removing the microfilter assembly and grounding the (-) lead to the chassis with the ignition on. If the blower runs slowly, replace the blower, if not, refurbish/replace the full-speed relay or refurbish/replace the sword as needed. Timm has bit on this posted here:
    www.meeknet.co.uk/E31/Timms_BMW_E31_8-Series_Common_Problems.htm and also an electrical diagram for the sword if that's helpful to you.

Anyway, post more about your blower issue (what speed does the fan run at what dial position) and you can get a better diagnosis of that problem.
    Last edited by DavesNotHere; 03-22-2020 at 01:36 PM.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation