Thread: No vacuum in crankcase

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto

No vacuum in crankcase

Hi all, 2001 325i auto

I installed an oil catch can and deleted the ccv. I accidentay put the pcv in the opposite direction causing oil to spray out of the catch can. I put on a new pcv valve and put everything back together. But now I have no vacuum in the crankcase. Everything is sealed up correctly. What can cause the loss of vacuum in the crankcase and is it safe to drive the car without vacuum in the crankcase? It's ny daily driver. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!

My Cars
    BMW E46 2000; E61 2007
    Depends on the vacuum leak size. If it's small it will run poor and give poor mpg. If it is a big vacuum leak, then it won't hold idle and shut down.
    Frankly I don't understand why use a catch can, rather than just take off the intake manifold and change the ccv along with the typical vacuum hoses than are prone to cracking. Check out video by 50skid on YouTube. He's got great DIYs including ccv change.

My Cars
    04 ZHP, 83 320i, 00 M5
    So what is going to take the excess oil fumes out of the crank case?
    _________

1980 320i - Kashmir Metallic - Sold in 1993
    1985 535i - Cosmosblau Metallic - Sold in 1995
    1985 535i - 1985-06 - Delphin Metallic - Sold in 2016
    1983 320i - 1982-09 - Kashmir Metallic - Currently own!
    2004 ZHP - 2003-08 - Titanium Metallic - Currently own!
    2000 M5 - 2000-02 Titanium Silver - Currently own!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    On which catch can hide did you install the pcv? It needs to go on the "outlet" hose.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    On which catch can hide did you install the pcv? It needs to go on the "outlet" hose.
    I installed it on the intake side but, the opposite direction. basically when I installed it backwards the distribution piece acted as if it was plugged off and the crankcase fumes kept building up in the catch can because it couldn't escape. So, with the engine pressure, it blew an O ring on the catch can on the intake side, thus oil spraying out of the can. I replaced PCV with a bigger PCV valve since the one I originally used was too small. Right now I have perfect idle, power at the low end but, no vacuum in the crankcase. When I pull off the oil fill cap, there is no suction at all. Even when I pull the dipstick there's no suction. I guess I am trying to find out is it safe to drive the car with no vacuum in the crankcase?
    Oddly, the car hold idle and has power. I had a lot of help on another forum on this issue but, I don't want to tire a person out with my problem.

I saw all the YouTube videos from 50sKid, Nathan's DIY Garage, Bullshitkorner. They are all great!
    I live in NY and didn't want to replace the CCV with a cold climate one.

Is it safe to drive the car with no vacuum in the crankcase? Remember, I still hold idle fine and I have low end power but, no vacuum in the crankcase..

My Cars
    04 ZHP, 83 320i, 00 M5
    It doesn't make sense to me why you wanted to delete the CCV versus just replacing it...
    _________

1980 320i - Kashmir Metallic - Sold in 1993
    1985 535i - Cosmosblau Metallic - Sold in 1995
    1985 535i - 1985-06 - Delphin Metallic - Sold in 2016
    1983 320i - 1982-09 - Kashmir Metallic - Currently own!
    2004 ZHP - 2003-08 - Titanium Metallic - Currently own!
    2000 M5 - 2000-02 Titanium Silver - Currently own!

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    There is no good reason to eliminate the ccv unless you are going boosted (turbo / supercharger ) the ccv is what controls the amount of vacuum in the engine crankcase. Obviously there will be no vacuum without it installed. Just replace it. Replace all of the hoses/plastic pipes at the same time. It's not that bad to do but if it's your first time definitely get everything. Many places sell a kit with the valve and all the hoses. Cold weather version for NY. Your old hoses will probably be brittle and break when you try to get them off. This system is not just an emission control system it draws blow by gasses, moisture and such that will contaminate your oil and cause excess sludge in the engine. Fix it it's important. Cold weather version is a direct swap from standard version btw. No modification necessary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post
    There is no good reason to eliminate the ccv unless you are going boosted (turbo / supercharger ) the ccv is what controls the amount of vacuum in the engine crankcase. Obviously there will be no vacuum without it installed. Just replace it. Replace all of the hoses/plastic pipes at the same time. It's not that bad to do but if it's your first time definitely get everything. Many places sell a kit with the valve and all the hoses. Cold weather version for NY. Your old hoses will probably be brittle and break when you try to get them off. This system is not just an emission control system it draws blow by gasses, moisture and such that will contaminate your oil and cause excess sludge in the engine. Fix it it's important. Cold weather version is a direct swap from standard version btw. No modification necessary. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    I beg to differ with you! The CCV in the M54 engine is, IMHO, a piece of crap. I own a 2001 330Ci. The car has been fanatically maintained by me at the local military base's auto hobby shop. "Fanatically maintained" means oil/filter changes every 7000 miles, manual tyranny fluid changes every spring with Redline D4ATF, coolant flushes every 2 years, etc. I baby the car for the first 2 miles of driving, then on the highway I let him ("Fritz") run like a panzer.

I've replaced the entire CCV system three times since owning the car new. The CCVs have been either from the dealer or OE parts from a vendor. The engine started burning oil at ~50k miles. Did the first CCV change; resulted in decreased oil burning. Found out that the CCV body was faulty and changed the whole sheebang out at 80k miles. Oil burning increased. Changed the CCV at 100k miles as the engine was burning a quart of Mobil 1 0W40 every 400-500 miles. No change. Installed an oil catch can. The engine burns zero oil. The CCV was designed by an engineer who'd been fired by Audi.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    I beg to differ with you! The CCV in the M54 engine is, IMHO, a piece of crap. I own a 2001 330Ci. The car has been fanatically maintained by me at the local military base's auto hobby shop. "Fanatically maintained" means oil/filter changes every 7000 miles, manual tyranny fluid changes every spring with Redline D4ATF, coolant flushes every 2 years, etc. I baby the car for the first 2 miles of driving, then on the highway I let him ("Fritz") run like a panzer.

I've replaced the entire CCV system three times since owning the car new. The CCVs have been either from the dealer or OE parts from a vendor. The engine started burning oil at ~50k miles. Did the first CCV change; resulted in decreased oil burning. Found out that the CCV body was faulty and changed the whole sheebang out at 80k miles. Oil burning increased. Changed the CCV at 100k miles as the engine was burning a quart of Mobil 1 0W40 every 400-500 miles. No change. Installed an oil catch can. The engine burns zero oil. The CCV was designed by an engineer who'd been fired by Audi.
    +1

Since there was too much pressure in the system, it turns out the dip stick tube O ring blew and sprayed oil.
    The O ring on the catch can intake outlet blew off too! All because I put the PCV valve backwards!

I need to replace the O ring on the dipstick tube and make sure the open port on the dipstick tube that used to be connected to the CCV is capped securely.

Thanks to Poolman from E46Fantasic, I was able to figure it out..

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by drewusmaximus View Post
    +1

Since there was too much pressure in the system, it turns out the dip stick tube O ring blew and sprayed oil.
    The O ring on the catch can intake outlet blew off too! All because I put the PCV valve backwards!

I need to replace the O ring on the dipstick tube and make sure the open port on the dipstick tube that used to be connected to the CCV is capped securely.

Thanks to Poolman from E46Fantasic, I was able to figure it out..

I replaced the O ring, cleaned up the dipstick tube and capped the inlet that the CCV hose went into.

Still no vacuum in the crankcase. I'm at a loss on why I am not getting vacuum in the crankcase.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Check your work. Obviously there's a hose that's either blocked or not properly connected. When I first installed the catch can in my car I didn't install the pcv. With the engine idling it took muscle to remove the oil fill cap.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Check your work. Obviously there's a hose that's either blocked or not properly connected. When I first installed the catch can in my car I didn't install the pcv. With the engine idling it took muscle to remove the oil fill cap.
    I did. I checked the hose from the VC to the catch can, hose from the catch can to the distribution piece, and the PCV that's connected to the intake hose form the catch can to the distribution piece. I capped off the port on the dipstick tube and still no vacuum.I'm very worried driving the car when the crankcase has no vacuum. From what I read the crankcase needs vacuum for the piston rings to function correctly.When I first installed the catch can I didn't put a PCV valve on the hose on the distribution piece side. I connected the hose right from the catch can to the distribution piece and I had a ton of vacuum. But, after installing the PCV backwards the first time and spraying oil (too much pressure) while I was driving, I bought a different PCV and installed it the correct way this time but, no vacuum in the crankcase nor, the dipstick.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by drewusmaximus View Post
    I did. I checked the hose from the VC to the catch can, hose from the catch can to the distribution piece, and the PCV that's connected to the intake hose form the catch can to the distribution piece. I capped off the port on the dipstick tube and still no vacuum.I'm very worried driving the car when the crankcase has no vacuum. From what I read the crankcase needs vacuum for the piston rings to function correctly.When I first installed the catch can I didn't put a PCV valve on the hose on the distribution piece side. I connected the hose right from the catch can to the distribution piece and I had a ton of vacuum. But, after installing the PCV backwards the first time and spraying oil (too much pressure) while I was driving, I bought a different PCV and installed it the correct way this time but, no vacuum in the crankcase nor, the dipstick.
    Vacuum pump maybe?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    There is no vacuum pump. Did you connect the the can's "outlet" side to the air distribution manifold on the intake manifold? It's item #5 in http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2879.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    There is no vacuum pump. Did you connect the the can's "outlet" side to the air distribution manifold on the intake manifold? It's item #5 in http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2879.
    Yes!! The original plastic hose that connected from the CCV to number 5 I cut, then I inserted a 3/4 inch hose and clamped it with a hose clamp. That hose runs to the outlet of the catch can port. Prior to the PCV valve I had that hose clamped straight to the catch can outlet and had a very strong vacuum. it seems after I accidentally installed the PCV the wrong way and blew the O rings, then replaced the PCV and O rings and installed it the proper way, I lost vacuum. So I'm assuming there might be another area in the engine that might have blown that is preventing vacuum in the crankcase.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Did you put a PCV valve in? If so, which kind? Did you lose vacuum in crankcase after PCV install? Without the PCV I get great vacuum in crankcase but lose low end power and saw fresh oil in the hose going from the catch can to the distribution piece.

My Cars
    2002 BMW E46 325i
    I know i'm bringing up an old thread here but i've just joined because i've done the exact same thing as the OP has!

Installed a catch can, put the pcv in backwards, driven for a bit before realising and now have zero vacuum in the crankcase and wondered if this was ever solved or narrowed down?
    I've changed the Valve cover gasket and smoke tested for vac leaks but i'm getting nowhere.

My Cars
    e46 325i
    Did you ever figure out why there was no vacuum in your crankcase? I'm having the same issue.. Loss of power,loss of MPG, slight whistle type sound when starting vehicle then goes away. ZERO VACUUM in my crankcase... NO CODES... I have no idea what causes the no vacuum.