Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: M42 to M50 swap

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerlife93 View Post
    Ok thanks, I still have the wiring harness to hook up before I can fire it but I will get on those on my next day off. Im assuming that I can get a regular compression tester at autozone/ O'Reillys?

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
    You should be able to. They may have it as a loaner tool.
    Instergrams: @davemakepictar

My Cars
    93 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    If it was laying in a field on it's side, it may be rain water, or it could be a head gasket issue. If you're close to being able to fire the motor, run a compression test before swapping head gaskets and getting the head refreshed.
    What all needs hooked up to perform a compression test? I just put the wiring harness in and started hooking up the basic connections. Does only the starter need hooked up and oil put in?

My Cars
    93 318is
    Here are a few more pictures of the motor and some of the wiring harness

My Cars
    93 318is
    Ok, I found this picture online to see where everything went and I noticed that im missing this piece.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what this is so I can buy one

My Cars
    e36m3/4/5, e46330i
    I've got one in great condition if you want it.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by vaderTT76 View Post
    I've got one in great condition if you want it.
    How much? And what is it?

My Cars
    e36m3/4/5, e46330i
    CCV I believe and I'll pm you.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Well here is a couple decent pictures of the headers

The ports look uneven so ill probably take a dremel and try to match them to the gaskets. Still waiting on a few parts to show up. Does anyone have a good wiring diagram for an m50?

My Cars
    93 318is
    Well I haven't messed with the wiring much lately. I picked up a set of m3 mirrors but apon arrival it looked like they we're made for a different car. So, since they didn't bolt directly on I decided to get creative. First I took my old mirror off and started cutting so that I would have a plate to mount the new one too. Here are a couple pics if the process.

Then I took some putty to smooth it out

The putty didn't work the best so I went and got some bondo

I don't have a picture of it completely sanded down but it was way smoother that the last picture. I then sprayed it with primer and attached the mirror

Then I painted it with black and a couple clear coats

Been waiting on finances but should be getting the coolant hoses and starting the wiring soon

My Cars
    93 318is
    Ok small update, I just put on the headers and I put the front end back on a few days ago. But today I was also looking at my shifter and noticed that the silver piece that tapers to a point needs to slide into a little hole. I really dont want to lift the motor back out a few inches just to slide that in. Is there another way to do this or do I have a bit of work in front of me?

My Cars
    93 318is
    Here are a few pictures of the car after I got the front end on.

Still need to do the other mirror. The coolant hoses and other parts showed up today. I had some silver trim rings that had been hanging out on a shelf forever and threw those on the new six cylinder cluster

Will get some pictures of the headers later. Got the rest of the AC lines out and there is alot more room

My Cars
    93 318is
    Totally forgot about this thread..... The car has come a little farther here are some pictures of where is at now and what I have done.

Basically, I just have all of the wires hooked up, im waiting on a thermostat, thermostat housing and gasket. Oil filter gasket, valve cover gasket, intake manifold gasket. Then the rest is just the last of the cooling system, the intake, fuel lines and the intake manifold

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Not sure what you ended up doing with those exhaust studs but a heli-foil kit will sort it out.

Get new studs and nuts from the dealer as well as some locktite.

Looks like it's coming along!

My Cars
    93 318is
    Got the exhaust studs taken care of. Still waiting on some gaskets. Right now im in the process of parting out my girl friends 4 door. The motor crapped out a few weeks ago so I have been trying to salvage parts off of it. I have gotten everything I need I just have a few questions.
    1) can I move the thicker axles over?
    2) would it benefit me to move the sway bars over?
    3)what else on the car can use to upgrade mine?

Im pulling the motor out if it tomorrow to see what happend to it and maybe saving it to build for boost in the future.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Alright so moving on. Tonight I got the power steering off the gfs sedan. After I moved the lines and reservoir over I started putting the oil filter housing and ps pump on. After that I put the alternator on. Still waiting on the intake manifold gaskets and VC gasket. So far I still need to pick up new belts, spark plugs, and fluids. Also need to pull the exhaust off the sedan but that is proving to be more difficult than I thought.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Ok so I have a question about my fuel lines and such. On the back of my e36 fuel rail it has this plug in for what looks like a vaccum line. But on the other sedan there isnt a plug in for it so I am kinda unsure of where it plugs into. Does anyone know what this is or what it hooks into?

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    I think that's the return line.

Some cars had the pressure regulator under the drivers floor and others had it on the fuel rail.

I'm guessing that's the difference.

I think 1996 or so is when the switch happened but it may have. Even as early as 95. Later cars have the regulator under the floor.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by tiMASTER View Post
    I think that's the return line.

Some cars had the pressure regulator under the drivers floor and others had it on the fuel rail.

I'm guessing that's the difference.

I think 1996 or so is when the switch happened but it may have. Even as early as 95. Later cars have the regulator under the floor.
    Ok awesome thanks for clearing that up for me. The sedan is a 95 so that would make sense. I've tried to do some research on the FPR on the rail and from what ive seen it says it plugs into the back of the intake manifold is this correct?

My Cars
    '86 E30, E36, F31
    Regarding the axels, the M42 shafts are shorter and the final drive is also a different spec. You will see this when you connect them. I am not sure if you are using the same diff or have changed it. On my build, I am going with M50 shafts and the original M50, 3.15 diff. When in doubt, measure the lengths or look them up online (ETK). On another note... I am noticing on my M50 (MY93) to M50 (MY94) swap, the wiring harnesses are not the same. The most obvious is a EWS connector.. but that is something else.
    '86 E30 325i coupe, euro
    '94 E36 318is coupe (Undergoing M52B28 swap)
    '95 E36 325i sedan
    '97 E36 328is coupe
    '83 Porsche 944
    '11 E90 328i sedan (soon)
    '18 F31 330i touring

My Cars
    93 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by ddtech View Post
    Regarding the axels, the M42 shafts are shorter and the final drive is also a different spec. You will see this when you connect them. I am not sure if you are using the same diff or have changed it. On my build, I am going with M50 shafts and the original M50, 3.15 diff. When in doubt, measure the lengths or look them up online (ETK). On another note... I am noticing on my M50 (MY93) to M50 (MY94) swap, the wiring harnesses are not the same. The most obvious is a EWS connector.. but that is something else.
    I planned on using the m42 diff because when I looked up my year it said it has a 3.45 gear ratio which seems like it wouldn't be too bad on the highway and a little bump in acceleration in town. If the m42 diff and axles can take the torque of the m50 I would prefer to leave it in but if not I have another daily so the 3.91 diff out of the sedan probably wouldn't bug me too much just driving it around town. I bought a spacer to use with the 4 cylinder diff to make it work

Also is EWS just from 94 on?

Last edited by Bimmerlife93; 04-24-2017 at 06:30 PM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I'm at 270whp 240ft/lbs torque using the small 318 diff and axles. It can take it!! I've been beating on it pretty hard for a couple years now.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    I'm at 270whp 240ft/lbs torque using the small 318 diff and axles. It can take it!! I've been beating on it pretty hard for a couple years now.
    Ok awesome! That makes me feel better about using them. Saves me quite a bit of work too. Do you have an s50 or s52 in yours?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I have a built 3.0 with S52 crank, forged 11.5:1 pistons and forged rods, cams and much much more!! Just don't be dropping the clutch at 5,000rpm and expecting things to stay in 1 piece. Drive it with respect.

My Cars
    93 318is
    I have a built 3.0 with S52 crank, forged 11.5:1 pistons and forged rods, cams and much much more!! Just don't be dropping the clutch at 5,000rpm and expecting things to stay in 1 piece. Drive it with respect.
    Oh dang that sounds quick! Yea this car has been too good to me to treat it like that. 2.5 or 3k launches maybe but that will be the most it sees

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddtech View Post
    . I am noticing on my M50 (MY93) to M50 (MY94) swap, the wiring harnesses are not the same. The most obvious is a EWS connector.. but that is something else.
    You really need the ETMs for both cars when doing a swap. Wiring changed mid year in some cases...

The thing to beware of is the fact that these small case diffs fail without warning. I think it was Ben Liaw years ago had his fail at a stop light. No beating, and no noise beforehand- he let the clutch out normally and the car didn't move. You must have a Wednesday diff if it's holding that torque.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast