Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: M42 to M50 swap

My Cars
    93 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by tiMASTER View Post
    You really need the ETMs for both cars when doing a swap. Wiring changed mid year in some cases...

The thing to beware of is the fact that these small case diffs fail without warning. I think it was Ben Liaw years ago had his fail at a stop light. No beating, and no noise beforehand- he let the clutch out normally and the car didn't move. You must have a Wednesday diff if it's holding that torque.
    What are ETMs? Also, the car I have is a 93 and the m50 I bought is also a 93. The sedan is a 95 but im just pulling off any parts that didnt come with my motor.

Also, I pulled this off the sedan and hooked it up to the blue line that runs to the back of the car like it was on the sedan. The only problem is I dont remember where this line plugs into. It mounts to the drivers side strut tower

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    I think that's the Evap valve.

And ETMs are electrical troubleshooting manuals- wiring diagrams by BMW.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Ok, so I put new spark plugs in and new knock sensors on. After that I put the intake manifold on and hooked up the fuel lines. Then I put the throttle body and the rest of the intake on. Once everything was plugged in I hooked the battery up and went to start it. Except nothing happened. I could hear all the electronics turn on but the car wouldn't crank over at all. Does anyone have an idea of what could be up?

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Engine ground? (Right side engine mount bracket)

My Cars
    93 318is
    Engine ground? (Right side engine mount bracket)
    Just put it on before I tried to start it. Should i pull it off and clean the connections? There is one ground I have read up on down by the transmission tbat I hadn't hooked up yet. Would that keep it from turning over?

My Cars
    93 318is
    Just pulled the ground strap and cleaned it and its connections. But it still won't start. Could by dme be trash? Would it be worth it to try the one out of the sedan?

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    What year is this again? (Car and engine)

And which dme are you using?

My Cars
    93 318is
    What year is this again? (Car and engine)

And which dme are you using?
    Car is a 93 318is. I was told the motor was from a 93 325i but im not entirely sure. Do you know where the vin number Is so I could run it to double check?

Also its a red lable 413 dme

My Cars
    93 318is
    So I pulled open the dme and it looks this (pics below). I opened up the sedan and saw that is had a silver label dme so I can't use that one. It looks like this red one might have gotten some water in it. Should I just try to source one from a scrap yard?

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    VIN is on a white label on the back side of the head.

Not EWS I'm guessing... But maybe. When did that go into use (general question because I focus on 95-99 predominantly)? We can bypass EWS if need be, or get the DME and EWS aligned properly (if you have it in there).

I think silver label DME has EWS capability on it. So no, you can't use that one.

Red label is the easiest one to use; however, if the car has EWS and the DME does not support it, you are in the same boat as the silver DME.

Run the red (give it a try anyway) and if it works: done. If not, we can look at an EWS bypass.
    Last edited by tiMASTER; 05-03-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    "Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"

PM me for E36 engine swap books and BMW ETMs! NOW SHIPPING!!!

My Cars
    1993 325is
    93 318is had no EWS. 413 red label DME also has no EWS. I don't think the DME is what is preventing it from cranking. Is the starter cranking and the engine not firing, or is simply not cranking. Are you sure the starter is good? Are all the starter connections tight? Are the battery cables all tight, at the battery and at the chassis/fuseblock/power feed into car?

Is the engine harness from the same car as the DME/engine? Is it possible the chassis harness is from an EWS car (late 94 and up)? If so, there's some wires that need clipped/shorted. Easy google search to find the procedure.
    Last edited by jakermac; 05-03-2017 at 04:52 PM.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    93 318is had no EWS. 413 red label DME also has no EWS. I don't think the DME is what is preventing it from cranking. Is the starter cranking and the engine not firing, or is simply not cranking. Are you sure the starter is good? Are all the starter connections tight? Are the battery cables all tight, at the battery and at the chassis/fuseblock/power feed into car?

Is the engine harness from the same car as the DME/engine? Is it possible the chassis harness is from an EWS car (late 94 and up)? If so, there's some wires that need clipped/shorted. Easy google search to find the procedure.
    The engine isn't cranking at all. I can make a video if that would help. All the lights on the dash come on but nothing happens. All the battery connections are tight, and I went through and cleaned and tightened the other grounds. Im not sure if the starter is good but I check the connections and they are tight. I can pull the starter off of the sedan and try it because I know it is good.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Would a red label 413 dme work from a 94 325i? There is a scrap yard that is kind of close that has two 94 325i

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Any idea what chassis the engine harness is from? I'm not an EWS expert, but I kow if you have an EWS I DME and chassis, and you don't want to/can't use EWS, you have to chip out the EWS finction in the DME (not the case for you as your using a non EWS DME) and there's some wiring mods that need to be effected. Thi is where my expertise is lacking and where you should do some googling.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Is it possible your starter trigger wire isn't properly connected? It might be a little hard to get to, but you could try to "hot wire" the starter solenoid (smaller starter lug) with the key in the run position. If it cranks you know there's an interruption in that circuit (possibly EWS or a alarm). If it cranks an runs, something is loose or not hooked up.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Any idea what chassis the engine harness is from? I'm not an EWS expert, but I kow if you have an EWS I DME and chassis, and you don't want to/can't use EWS, you have to chip out the EWS finction in the DME (not the case for you as your using a non EWS DME) and there's some wiring mods that need to be effected. Thi is where my expertise is lacking and where you should do some googling.
    I was told it was from a 93 325i which from my understanding doesnt have EWS

My Cars
    93 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    Is it possible your starter trigger wire isn't properly connected? It might be a little hard to get to, but you could try to "hot wire" the starter solenoid (smaller starter lug) with the key in the run position. If it cranks you know there's an interruption in that circuit (possibly EWS or a alarm). If it cranks an runs, something is loose or not hooked up.
    Do you have a picture of which connections i would need to jump?

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

M42 to M50 swap

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerlife93 View Post
    Do you have a picture of which connections i would need to jump?

Sorry for the crude finger painting, but it should give you an idea. By putting 12v on that terminal you bypass the ignition switch. Technically, you could use a jumper between the two terminals referenced in the pic as long as there is power on the on the larger one. Confirm the power there first.
    Last edited by unnatrl; 05-04-2017 at 07:51 PM.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Ok so I tried jumping my old starter and it didn't work. So I pulled the starter off of the sedan and proceeded to put it on the coupe (PITA). Also I went to a pick and pull today and got a dme off a 94 325i. It didn't work either. So now im not sure what to do because I know this starter works and all the connections are tight and hooked up correctly. From what I have read EWS lets your car crank but not start so im not sure what would cause this

My Cars
    93 318is
    I went out and changed all of the relays over from the sedan to see if that would work. Now when I try to start it there is a weird noise coming from what sounds like the dash. Im going to try to upload a videohttps://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/590c1b8c...505_011822.mp4
    https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/590c1bba...505_011858.mp4

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Is the battery dead?

My Cars
    93 318is
    Is the battery dead?
    Nope pulled the brand new one out of the sedan and I charged it the rest of the way with my other car. Ive been rolling around on the floor boards of both cars and I can not find the starter relay for the life of me. Also, I jumped the new starter and it sounded like this. Please excuse all the stuff in my hair that It picked up off the floor board.https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/590e367c...506_153534.mp4

My Cars
    93 318is
    Little update. The car is still making the same noise with the starter but when I tried to get it to turn over today coolant started leaking out from what I think is the heater core. I haven't filled up the radiator with coolant yet so im guessing its just whatever is left in there. Also while I was checking if everything works I noticed neither of my front blinkers are working and my rear passenger blinker isnt working. My driverside lowbeam isn't working as well. Woukd any of these also cause my car to not turn over?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    stupid question but are you using the EWS? if so did you change the chip in the key?
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    93 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    stupid question but are you using the EWS? if so did you change the chip in the key?
    From what I have read 93 doesn't have EWS. I was told the the m50 was also a 93 like the car I put it in. If it happens to be a 94 or still has EWS some how do you know what wires I would need to cut?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast